View Diary: Why I love Hippies and sorry I am late for the movement ! (75 comments)

•  rAmen. (22+ / 0-)

I agree but there's no flies on the current youngun's. They are doing great things and I believe they are less naive than we were.

I have to say it was a naive time, but still we underestimated the powers that were arrayed against us. They consumed us, turned us into a caricature and rolled right on over us. I think that a lot of the activists of today are way more savvy.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 07:39:09 PM PST

•  They are more savvy (13+ / 0-)

cause they learned from our mistakes ... and they have cell phones. :)

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido. The people united will never be defeated

by mint julep on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:54:39 PM PST

•  Media images don't cut it (6+ / 0-)

I don't think I've seen many characterizations of the era that don't emphasize sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll, and leave out most of the idealism, the Vietnam War, the backlash against stifling conformity, caring for the environment, and so much more.

I am enamored of the youth of today, their wonderful courage, their greater awareness of world problems, their creativity, their willingness to stand up to power.

I constantly wish they could have experienced the freedom of my youth, when a person standing along a highway was probably just a hitchhiker, not a terrorist.

•  No.. you could FEEL the winds of change (5+ / 0-)

back then....You could smell the sense of fear in the status quo and enough to cause 2 not 1 but 2 presidents to resign.  Nixon quit before impeachment but the kids hating him got to him .   it drove him to the brink and Johnson hated it.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:24:27 AM PST

•  Never fail to consider the roles the folks who (6+ / 0-)

are now in positions to control the media narratives played back then.

I submit that a significant reason they remember the times as 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll' and not the social conciousness of the era is because that's what they were doing then.

I participate in a fair number of 'socially concious' activities from day to day. By far the greatest number of fellow participants are silver headed remnants of the Sixties who never lost their committment.

The types who were just there for the party are now running the corporations, including the media that sets the narrative.

“Perhaps the most 'spiritual' thing any of us can do is simply to look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness.” Jon Kabat-Zinn

by DaNang65 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:57:24 AM PST

•  Technology will be the difference (4+ / 0-)
      Vetwife, high uintas, splashy, foresterbob

My daughter is way more up on what is happening than I ever was - we talked about this last night when discussing the rise and fall of CNN. She cannot fathom a world without instant news - and back in the day CNN was revolutionary with 24 hour coverage.
      Don't you think the conservatives today are facing the same caricature thing? Only difference is that they are doing it to themselves - they really are that cartoon image.

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up. A. A. Milne

by hulibow on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 06:52:43 AM PST

•  This (2+ / 0-)
        high uintas, foresterbob

our generation depended on underground newspapers
        and closed meetings.  Can you imagine what our generation would have done being equipped as with today's technology? Kids today...  They are awesone on keeping up.
        Hmmmm..maybe then mobilizing the way it was done was the right way....to leave that nasty police action as they called it in South East Asia.  7 continents could not stop Bush with Technology.   We were all out in the streets in 03.   Hmmmm.  maybe the technology can work against one in a movement in some cases.. I would like to think our generation of youth would not tolerate a so called free speech zone.

by Vetwife on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 07:02:07 AM PST