View Diary: Fuzzy Coffee Street Hour Friday Prophets (with photos!) (17 comments)

•  More pictures it is then. (1+ / 0-)
    ruleoflaw

I have never been to Bern. I spent a couple days in Zurich way back in 1989, drove though a portion of Switzerland last summer while driving down to southern France-- sum total of my Swiss experience. I do have a friend or two in the place that I could excusably visit. I hear it's a rather expensive country to live in. I'm curious about Bern though. Why Bern for your favorite city in the world?

I suppose the advertising creeps in everywhere. I remember cringing when the first McDonald's started up here. Originally we were going to be spared Burger King entirely because their parent company decided the Big Mac people had too much of a head start. But now it seems there's room enough for all. Pizza Hut gave it a limp try and I think has left completely. I think Planet Hollywood has also closed its doors. I walked past a T.G.I Friday's a couple days ago. I notice their ads occasionally but I think they're struggling a bit. I remember once overhearing some young ex-pat on a tram, thanking God that we finally got a Starbucks-- there are several more now. Plenty of coffee around here already-- better coffee I'm told. There's even a Hooters in Prague now. The decline and fall of civilization...

I don't mind most advertising-- Czechs are supposedly getting rid of all billboards along the freeways (too distracting in a country where too many drivers seem to think they're on the German Autobahn) One thing I did notice, and was thrilled by, was the lack of graffiti on the old walls of Krakovec. And I happen to have a picture that I thought was stunningly original but turns out to be almost exactly the same as a picture featured on that web site for Krakovec Castle:

This is the old, worn stone of the main gateway. That wee strip of gray wood on the right is part of the actual gate itself.

That Angus MacPup pic is lovely. Eyes closed as he leans in for a sniff -- perfect! I think I'm working too hard to prevent my shadow creeping into my pictures. You've managed to take a pic with the shadow where it adds to the composition. That's not easy to do.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your photos!

“The right of the people peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, and to petition the government, or any department thereof, shall never be abridged.”

by Marko the Werelynx on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 09:37:17 PM PST

•  I love Switzerland and wish it wasn't so pricey. (1+ / 0-)
      Marko the Werelynx

Mrs ruleoflaw's grandparents were from Apenzell. I got to know her Grossvater before he passed away. He was a delightful old gentleman and his accounts of the old country made us want to visit his old haunts.

Fast-forward 20-odd years.

After some years of scrimping and saving of Mrs r. and I, her sister w/spouse and her cousin w/spouse took a trip to the old country. Zurich is lovely, St. Gallen is lots of fun, but I sort of feel in love with Bern and it's bears. Despite the fast-food ads, the city is charming. I came for the cheese, stayed for the bears. The shooting museum is also not to be missed.

The Barengrab Theater's production of Warten Auf Godot was just as absurd in German as it is in English. Ich spreche ein bisen Deutsch and understand even less, but I know the play in English and had no trouble following a plot that doesn't really go anywhere.
      Ach, Jah
      Pics here and here.

Grandpa's oldest son was killed in WW2 and is buried in Brittany. We were the first members of his family to visit his grave. There are pictures in one of those links of that visit.
      Paris was fun, Brittany and Normandy are beautiful and the people there are very nice but I'd still rather be in Switzerland.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left. - Seasick Steve

by ruleoflaw on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 03:05:06 PM PST

•  Hrmph. (1+ / 0-)
        ruleoflaw

I've got a copy of "Waiting for Godot" on my shelf. I saw a film made of a production once but I've never seen it performed live.

It's wonderful that you had the chance to travel and visit some of the places Großvater told stories about. My memories of Zurich are mostly of all the construction around the home of the artist I wanted to visit and talking with a lovely family of Cambodian immigrants that I was staying with. I should dig through my photos and refresh my memory. I know I spent a day wandering around town, seeing the sights, with one of the people in that family.

I should make an effort to learn some German. I understand more than I speak and that's a paltry amount for a guy who has spent probably almost a third of a year in total visiting time to German speaking countries.

I do believe you don't have your Facebook photo albums set for viewing by the general public.

Gotta dash off for a bit ...

by Marko the Werelynx on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 07:45:55 AM PST

•  Fixed the pics, feel free to take a look. (1+ / 0-)
          Marko the Werelynx

I started with nothing and still have most of it left. - Seasick Steve

by ruleoflaw on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 06:58:32 PM PST

•  Thankin' ye kindly, (1+ / 0-)
            ruleoflaw

Those were wonderful!

I particularly liked the gargoyles.

Were all those grinning, ornamental faces in some sort of museum? There are thousands of buildings in Prague that have little ornamental heads like that along their facades. Usually they're up over the ground floor or just under the roof ... not the best location for peeping pedestrians to take photos but I've thought I'd try and make a collection of them.

Oddly enough, my favorite female and I visited one of our neighbors last night and did the modern version of vacation photo slide-show while sipping wine. Among the many places they'd visited briefly over the last year of so were several cities in Switzerland-- including Bern! Mostly featured was their trip to Sardinia though.

by Marko the Werelynx on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 09:52:41 PM PST

•  The faces were on display in a cathedral (1+ / 0-)
              Marko the Werelynx

that was being ever-so-gently cleaned. The tour guide told us they were carefully washed clean of soot and bird guano, then inspected for cracks or damage. They were on display in the cathedral gift shop until the masons were ready to put them back up.

In this pic you can see that the cleaners had gotten up to the stony fellow's knees. Above that, he is still kinda grimy.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left. - Seasick Steve

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site