View Diary: Obama in weekly address: Congress must act now to stop sequester (99 comments)

•  Have you ever noticed that the earned (0+ / 0-)

benefits programs were protected?  That Republicans haven't jumped on chained CPI?  That Pay-Go isn't what happened with the latest fiscal cliff?

Look at results and stop fretting about words.  You may not grasp the significance of the change we're in.  I have, I'm blown away that even the media can't stop what people are seeing about the Republican Party.  That's not an accident.

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 11:39:46 AM PST

•  Why is it that we're suppose to look at the (2+ / 0-)
      SouthernLiberalinMD, greenbell

results on this issue and this issue only. Should we not take the president at his word?  Because he's been saying he's going to "reform" entitlements since he was running the first time. Is this like how we're suppose to call him a liberal even though he has explicitly stated otherwise?

•  He also has dissed FDR and praised Reagan. (2+ / 0-)
        greenbell, PorridgeGun

This "sophistication" is just more Third-Way garbage.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 01:23:34 PM PST

•  So what's your plan? Vote for one of the (0+ / 0-)

Paul triumvirate?  It's hard to argue with reality so you call me Not A True Progressive?  It's funny that in the 3 months I've been making these arguments not one True Progressive has responded with anything but not-meant-to-be-factual statements, some kind of name-calling, or mansplaining why I don't see how AWFUL THIS IS.

I feel your pain.

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 01:56:57 PM PST

•  My plan is to criticize the president (2+ / 0-)
            PorridgeGun, HCKAD

when he tried to enact an agenda I disagree with. If you want to pretend like that's the same as wanting to elect one of the Paul triumvirate(Hadn't heard that phrase before, I like it, BTW) then that's fine. We got Obama elected and now we're just suppose to shut up when he does something we don't like? Do you really think chained CPI isn't bad? Or do you just think the president is a liar when he says he wants to make it happen?

Most importantly, why in the hell are we even talking about entitlements, SS has nothing to do with the deficit and anyone who's being even slightly honest should admit that.

•  Pretty much not true. Are you reading (0+ / 0-)

Glenn Greenwald?  Curious about how these things stay alive after debunking.

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 01:58:20 PM PST

•  He did reform Medicare. He's kept his word. (0+ / 0-)

He reformed the fraudsters into jail after years of easy pickings.  He reformed the Part D prescription administrators out of their profiteering.  He reformed obscene profits out of durable equipment providers.  He reformed co-pay charges for diagnostic testing out of existence and added tests that were never covered.  He reformed end of life planning into the doctor's office.

This would be why I'm more inclined to trust him than I am to trust various bloggers who have lit their hair on fire every three months for 4 years plus, despite the fact that in those 4 years SS hasn't been privatized, stripped, altered, gutted, weakened, AND Medicare has been vastly improved.

When this starts up again I'm forcibly reminded of Wayne LaPierre:  sure, he hasn't done it YET he was waiting for his second term.

Maybe it's smarter to see how reform built a better more responsive Medicare?  Maybe there are ways to do the same with SS so Republicans have no leg to stand on when they light THEIR fucking hair on fire?

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 01:49:59 PM PST

•  Reality tells me that the only reason we don't (1+ / 0-)
      PorridgeGun

have chained CPI is that the insane portion of the right wing hates Obama so much they're not willing to give him a success on anything. We keep being saved from crappy policy by a bunch of insane racists.

Reality also tells me that the Overton window phenomenon is real, and basically both parties are now agreeing on economic views that start with Reaganomics and go rightward from there.

But hey, believe whatever you want to, and if you support your beliefs by looking down on others as being insufficiently sophisticated about the political inside game, you will not be alone.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 01:22:56 PM PST

•  No there are a lot of people who agree (0+ / 0-)

with me, so I don't fear aloneness.

Was Reagan serious about building a strong middle class?  I did not know that.  Good on him!  I missed his support of financial regulations and strong unions and a strong manufacturing base and green energy and training people for today's jobs and reducing the cost of health care as well.  I was probably just busy then.

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 02:05:58 PM PST