View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Love 'em or hate 'em or just plain indifferent to 'em, it's the Oscars (239 comments)

•  I like movies... (7+ / 0-)

but I don't often watch them. Life sort of gets in the way.

No one knows what it's like, To be the bad man, To be the sad man, behind blue eyes....

by blueyedace2 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 09:13:31 PM PST

•  ditto life is always more important and (3+ / 0-)
      JeffW, JML9999, jlms qkw

can't afford first run movies besides, most of them suck

Warning - some snark above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ Now with more SNAP: Saturday hate mail-a-palooza End of a series

by annieli on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 09:16:17 PM PST

•  Haven't seen any of the nominated (3+ / 0-)
      KayCeSF, jlms qkw, annieli

movies -- need to make time to see The Sessions on PPV (was really rooting for Helen Hunt but Anne Hathaway is Hollywood's darling), and now I'm interested in Silver Linings Playbook.

Only movie we saw the past year was the Lord of the Rings marathon a week before the opening of The Hobbit...and we still need to see The Hobbit in theaters.

by Cali Scribe on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 09:35:58 PM PST

•  Hanne Hathaway IS "Hollywood's darling" (1+ / 0-)
        annieli

and I have to say, I don't get it.  She married into the industry when she married her first husband, then when she "made it" divorced him and is now married to an actor.  I have never seen her in any film where she could act worth a damn.  She over-acts.

But that's my opinion, and I"m sticking to it.  Actually, it's the opinion of many in the industry, too, which makes it curiouser and curiouser why she gets so many roles.  ???  And then she wins the Oscar, tonight.  :/

I need to see The Hobbit, and I'd like to see it on a big screen, rather than wait for it to come on TV.

I would rather spend my life searching for truth than live a single day within the comfort of a lie. ~ John Victor Ramses

by KayCeSF on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 10:47:35 PM PST

•  She said in Golden Globes speech that her parents (2+ / 0-)
          auapplemac, KayCeSF

were in the entertainment industry and thanked them for getting her interested in show business. So I think her parents and her first husband all had a big part in her success..you are right.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 11:27:03 PM PST

•  What first husband? (0+ / 0-)

There was the embezzling financier that she broke up with, but I can't find any info on a first husband.  Link?
          Early morning curiosity sure can be ........ strange.

Culbert Olson is my hero!

by chemborg on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 03:53:43 AM PST

•  hmm. I must have her confused with her father (1+ / 0-)
            chemborg

who was married twice, or another actress.  I swear I read in some bio that she was married to a producer and divorced.

Anyway... her mother had the most influence, i.e., mom was "Fantine in the first U.S. tour of Les Misérables"... that kind of constant serendipity seems to happen to her often?  I've followed her career out of curiosity about each role she's had.

by KayCeSF on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 08:12:13 AM PST

•  We love movies but wait for the DVD or Amazon (0+ / 0-)

where we can rent and watch online.  We mostly only watch movies on DVD around the holidays and in the summer.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs