View Diary: GOP sequester strategy: Hurt the poor, harm national security, and destroy jobs to screw old folks (107 comments)

•  Desperate And Down To Their Last Hostage (6+ / 0-)

Obama has successfully navigated a running hostage situation with the House GOP and has gotten them down to this last one; the sequestration cuts.

Unfortunately, I think the GOP wants their pound of flesh, they believe the American People need to be punished, so they will let the sequestration happen.

It will be the end of the GOP as we know it. Obama will rake them over the coals non-stop until they beg for mercy.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 07:38:14 AM PST

•  This is not the last economic hostage (9+ / 0-)

available to the Republicans, even if they couldn't think up any more.  Budget reconciliation renewal is right around the corner, and the government will hit the debt ceiling again in late summer.  This hostage-taking will continue, down to the level of individual bills, as long as taking the country's economy hostage works for the Republicans (i.e., the deficit hawks in the party - namely the fat cats, who are the only ones benefiting from the cuts).  Not until rank-and-file Republican voters stop voting enough Republicans into power to continue hostage-taking will the hostage-taking stop.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 08:13:22 AM PST

•  Indeed...imagine their leverage in 2014... (6+ / 0-)

...when gas prices are over $4/gallon and unemployment benefits meet their maker again.

It flatters the vanity of many on this site to believe that Republicans are finished. To the contrary, there is little more dangerous than a wounded politician with virtually nothing to lose and everything to gain. Expect this to escalate in the 12-16 months to follow.

Adequate health care should be a LEGAL RIGHT in the U.S without begging or bankruptcy. Until it is, we should not dare call our society civilized.

by Love Me Slender on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 09:02:06 AM PST

•  Imagine Repub leverage if Dems fold, and shred (2+ / 0-)
          SueDe, Love Me Slender

Social Security and Medicare.  Sequester, or not , the Adminstration has the fate of the Democratic Party in their hands.

If they fold, pass, and enact draconian cuts to Social Security and Medicare, like the NPR International journalist Todd Zwillich says they're planning to do in a Grand Bargain--we're cooked!

We have got to try to pressure the PtB in our party, to not make this strategic blunder. [When reform or "cuts" are made to entitlement programs, the President who signs these reforms "own them."

Remember, folks may not know 'the details' of the reform proposed by the Greenspan Commission, but it is common knowledge that the reform occurred under President Reagan's watch (he signed it into law).

We absolutely cannot let this happen under a Democratic Party Administration.

Mollie

"If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 11:26:06 AM PST

•  TESTIFY! You should write a diary on this, Mollie. (0+ / 0-)

Seriously...the worship MUST give way to sound policy on this one. People who think Dems and forever assured of electoral success due to what happened in 2012 need to think about our chances in 2014 and 2016 if we gut SS and allow widespread austerity to take hold...ON OUR WATCH.

We can try to pin it on Repubs all we want, but WE control the WH and senate. The power to make things right is within our grasp.

by Love Me Slender on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 01:24:39 PM PST

•  Thanks, LMS, for the nice and encouraging words, (0+ / 0-)

LOL!

I needed those, actually.

Seriously, I often feel like the "skunk at the Garden Party," but I'm old enough to recognize that if we (Dems) want to return to being the party of FDR and LBJ, we have got to be willing to at least try to push back on the party's rightward lurch, over the past 30 years or so.

At any rate, I've got "clip" the video (since I know that most folks will NOT be willing to watch 50-60 minutes of Washington Journal), and post it will only a very brief description.  I haven't checked yet.  I'm assuming that it will have an embed code.  If not, I'll just post a link in this comment thread.

Actually, if I get too pressed for time, I may just post the video, here.  At least the context would already be "presented," so to speak.

I do believe that the video will speak for itself.

Because as I just mentioned to kovie, Mr. Zwillich was not ridiculing, but defending the President, when he mentioned the cuts that he offered Boehner at year's end.

Hope you catch the video.  With any luck, I'll post it this evening (or early a.m. tomorrow).

Thanks for your reply.  And I appreciate your blogging efforts, as well.  :-)

Mollie

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 02:05:55 PM PST

•  Hear, hear, SueDe! And also, Dems have to (0+ / 0-)

rid the party of the corporatist and Blue Dog Dems who vote with Republicans on so many issues.

And, Dems need to stiffen their spines, in general.

"Go along, to get along" gets you only so far, LOL!

Personally, I'm sick of this "let's hold hands and jump together" nonsense, packaged as "centrism."

Mollie

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 02:51:06 PM PST

•  No, there are more to come.... the budget for (5+ / 0-)
      eps62, Apost8, DSPS owl, 3goldens, LillithMc

next year that is due at the end of March.  Then the next debt limit increase and so on...  The Republicans have found a toy they like to play with.

•  not the last one...not by a long shot (0+ / 0-)

and even worse...we are wasting the 1st 100 days talking about debt debt debt vs jobs jobs jobs...

that isn't  success... in my humble opinion...

"Small Businesses Don't Build Levees" - Melissa Harris Perry