View Diary: Why I, as a dedicated and stalwart supporter of OFA, am asking Michiganders NOT to work with OFA (192 comments)

•  To put this another way - what we wound up with (6+ / 0-)

is the cult of Obama, not growth in the Democratic Party.  If anything OFA has starved the Democratic Party for nutrients and sucked may resources away.

•  OFA was about getting the President elected (11+ / 0-)

and reelected, and now about getting national issues recognized and dealt with.  But I think the diarist makes a good observation:  It's time state Democrats look at OFA as a model, not as the organization to depend on.  It's not a state level organization.  If the Democrats at the state level don't start doing their own organization, then all of the changes occurring under Obama will be undone with the next president.

"But the problem with any ideology is that it gives the answer before you look at the evidence." - President Clinton

by anonevent on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 07:55:56 AM PST

•  That's utterly ridiculous (7+ / 0-)

You sound like a Republican. Here's Dave Agema just last week, responding to Sen. Ted Cruz calling Obama the most radical president ever:

"I couldn't agree more," Agema wrote on his Facebook page. "It's starting to look like Germany-people just blindly following a charismatic sick leader."
      Same sentiment you're professing, albeit without the Hitler reference.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
      -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Join me, Anne C. Savage & LOLGOP at Eclectablog.com.

by Eclectablog on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 08:10:31 AM PST

•  I don't think that's fair, Eclectablog. (5+ / 0-)
        MRA NY, Wolf10, MPociask, dfarrah, DuzT

Really, a lot of people were pretty damn sick of the state and federal stunts the democratic party was involved in, especially when showering their support on dino incumbents against their progressive (and popular!) primary opponents.  A lot of people well and truly did join OFA to help Obama specifically more than the Democrats in general.

I love the DKos mantra - more and better democrats.  [more] AND [better].  The regional democrats are very focused on [more] and [protecting their own].

“In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.” - Fran Lebowitz

by Aramis Wyler on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 08:21:36 AM PST

•  I was referring to the insulting comment about... (10+ / 0-)

..."the cult of Obama" as if those of us that supported his candidacy were too blind and stupid to have a realistic understanding of what he represented.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
          -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Join me, Anne C. Savage & LOLGOP at Eclectablog.com.

by Eclectablog on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 08:48:08 AM PST

•  Talk to your local and state Dems (0+ / 0-)

I'm sure they don't feel that way.

It is an old strategy of tyrants to delude their victims into fighting their battles for them. FDR

by Betty Pinson on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 10:25:13 AM PST

•  Actually all of the state and local Dems... (5+ / 0-)

...that I work with, and I work with a LOT of them, are big fans of Barack Obama and all that he has done for this country.

We share different realities, you and I.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
              -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Join me, Anne C. Savage & LOLGOP at Eclectablog.com.

by Eclectablog on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 10:38:27 AM PST

•  Great! (1+ / 0-)
                Mr Robert

So you shouldn't have a problem becoming one of them.  In our state and county, its like the local Dem family, and I mean that in a good way.

The difference is that the focus is turned to the state/local Dem community.   The national stuff is always there, but until the day after election day 2014, the national stuff is on the back burner as far as activism is concerned.

Going to the big rallies is exciting, but there's no greater sense of accomplishment (IMO) than when you're out there on the trail with local candidates, going to the pot-lucks, town halls, candidate forums, bingo nights, etc.

Time to get busy, the fish-fry season is upon us, then there's the St. Pat's parades, then the county fairs, hot dog & chips fundraisers, parade season....lots of good memories.  I remember getting one of my candidates in 10 local parades one Fourth of July, back when mapquest was the only logistics tool.  Fun times, don't miss out.

by Betty Pinson on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 11:10:06 AM PST

•  Why is this so offensive to you? (0+ / 0-)

Do you deny that there are a lot of people who were attracted to Obama by his personal story, his personal charisma, his personal magnetism? That many of those people who volunteered for him then went back to their volunteer-free existence because they didn't really feel connected to the Democratic party, just to Obama?

Nobody's accusing you of being someone like that. It would be insane to. Nobody's even saying that this was a majority of people. But you're reacting defensively to a statement about a segment of people that you aren't a member of, as if this were an accusation against you personally.

I voted for Obama. I volunteered for Obama. I really didn't like Obama much at all as a candidate in 2008 and I honestly don't like him much as a president now. But I volunteered next to quite a few people who adored him, many of who still adore him, and who I know I will never see volunteering (for a candidate) again after Obama left the scene. Because OFA is not trying to recruit them for local races at all, and because when they got engaged in Obama Obama Obama, there was no crossover into engagement with the Democratic party.

So are you saying that these people just don't exist? Or that they barely exist in most places, say, and my anecdotal evidence is just that, mostly-invalid anecdotal evidence?

Or are you saying that sure, some of these people exist, but you aren't one of them, and there are plenty like you too?

If it's the latter, then I just can't understand why you seem to be taking this so incredibly personally. (Honestly, if it's the former, I still don't. But that's just me.)

•  Obama is a moderate republican (self described). (0+ / 0-)

So I guess you're giving a compliment here?

•  You'll be needing that "cult" from here on out (1+ / 0-)
      Eclectablog

Don't be so dismissive of that cult for it looks like the future of the country. You will need it to win elections at every level, unless you are not a Democrat in which case you are either a Republican, or electorally irrelevant.

"There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.".. Buddha

by sebastianguy99 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 09:37:21 AM PST