View Diary: Books So Bad They're Good: Better Living Through Health Quackery (111 comments)

•  Quackery proliferates in things like fibromyagia. (12+ / 0-)

They still aren't sure what causes it; we're still fighting the battle over whether or not it's "real" in spots.  At least to some degree, we know what's going on in the body that causes some symptoms.

And of course, because the body and mind are linked, of course stress of any sort worsens some symptoms, and therefore the placebo effect will be great.

Of course, the way I treat mine is half-quackery to some; a certain quantity of sleep, avoidance of known stressors when possible, a certain diet that agrees with my body, tons of water, regular massage, and yoga practice, along with supplementation of certain vitamins.

But I hear people wanting to treat it with chiropractic manipulation, or with various "cleanses", or with talk therapy, and that's all bullshit.

When you come to find how essential the comfort of a well-kept home is to the bodily strength and good conditions, to a sound mind and spirit, and useful days, you will reverence the good housekeeper as I do above artist or poet, beauty or genius.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 01:24:58 AM PST

•  Yep (7+ / 0-)

I studied tai chi for a while, and it definitely helps with things like balance and flexibility - very good things if you have a tumor on your balance nerve, let me tell you!  But other treatments, like reflexology or color therapy or Dr. Bach's flower essences or homeopathy?

Uh....

•  "Thought to be" (8+ / 0-)

"Lyrica is thought to work by. . . "
      "Fibromyalgia is thought to be. . ."

The commercials for that medication should send chills through every listener. "We don't know what our drug does, and we don't know what we're treating, but you should take it" is the message, despite the fact that it's an extremely heavy, potentially toxic med.

Everyone is innocent of some crime.

by The Geogre on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 05:12:27 AM PST

•  What cracks me up (9+ / 0-)

about the pharmaceutical commercials are the combination of the stilted language supposedly used by the typical patient ("I was embarrassed when my niece mentioned my mild-to-moderate eczema"), and the tag lines -- "XYZ Medication helps me breathe, and that's important to me" -- well, duh.

And I've yet to figure out why every fucking disease has to be abbreviated; my theory is that if they abbreviate it people will end up looking up the initials to figure just what the fuck is being advertised and, perhaps, they can get a new user through googlecondria.

•  Tell me about it. (5+ / 0-)

I have a case of mild to moderate "DS" (Dry Skin).  Not to mention a good bit of "NM" (no money).

I find the cheap lotion works just fine.

Doctors do this as well.  My cardiologist told me I had some long-winded condition that sounded completely dreadful.  It turns out it means that my valves are built for a 300 pound person and I'm 140 pounds.  While it might, perhaps, in a blue moon, cause issues, it's not at all likely.

(-6.25, -6.77) Moderate left, moderate libertarian

by Lonely Liberal in PA on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 09:00:15 AM PST

•  And if you know the jargon (3+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, Aunt Pat, Brecht

Years ago I took a year of Latin. And a class in medical terminology -- which is based sorta* on Greek & Latin.

After having a persistent dull pain in my right shoulder, I saw my doctor, underwent a series of tests, & was told that I had a tumor known as "osteoid osteoma".

I thought for a moment, then asked, "That's a bizarre name. Doesn't that literally mean a 'bone-like hole in the bone'?"

He paused for a moment, muttered his agreement, & continued his explanation without acknowledging or explicating the nonsensical nature of a "bone-like hole in the bone".

Even doctors can be blind to the images captured like prehistoric insects in amber of the words they use every day, & despite their prolonged education allow their language to dull & become banal.

* "Sorta" because the Greek & Latin words originally reflected Hippocrates' & Galen's understanding of how the body worked, & the meanings were re-interpreted or redefined to reflect experience & informed observation. Sorta in the way the meanings of words have changed in general languages over the last 20-odd centuries.

•  Or how about a case of immediate postprandial, (1+ / 0-)
            Aunt Pat

upper-abdominal distention (that's cramps)?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 03:07:02 PM PST

•  Oh, I have Greek conditions (5+ / 0-)

I insist.

First, I took Classical Greek in college, so I ask for the names. Second, the names tell you exactly what the first guy found. "Laryngitis" means "boo boo of the larynx," for example, and medical names quite frequently mix Latin and Greek together indiscriminately.

I had pulmonary stenosis which led to hemocritic gall stones before my cholecystectomy and my "valvotomy" and replacement. Now, I just have a IV/IV murmur (because there is no valve there at all -- it's mechanical and so clicks) and anticoagulant induced issues. Otherwise known as, "I'm fine, except for some arthritis in my spine now, dammit."

However, all pills now are priced at a per dose point. Pharmaceuticals are not priced according to cost or "R&D," but according to patient and insurance tolerance. How much would you pay before you'd rather suffer? This is why everything is miraculously $2 - $3 a dose.

Everyone is innocent of some crime.

by The Geogre on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 10:31:23 AM PST

•  FYI (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, Aunt Pat

Noddy sent this in to Top Comments.

•  Fibromyalgia=myofascial pain syndrome (1+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest

At least it did for me.  Look it up.  It is caused by muscular contractions called trigger points, and fascial adhesions.

Interestingly enough, craniosacral therapy is a good treatment for MPS, because of the way it resets the sacrum.

"A developed country is not where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation." - Mayor of Bogota

by Time Waits for no Woman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 08:05:59 PM PST