View Diary: "Protections for vulnerable" implies Social Security cuts for the rest of us. (40 comments)

•  Retirees voted for Rs nt (1+ / 0-)
    Boppy
    •  Hey, friend, a whole lot of us voted for Ds. And (10+ / 0-)

a lot of young people voted for Ron Paul.

And if you would stop and think a minute, while you go about promoting a wedge issue for whatever reason, all it takes is for the self-serving few inside the Beltway to "fix" SS so that all of us have some actual "security" is not to inflict the CPI chaining to "punish" the "retirees," most of whom have to work to eat too, even though they have often used themselves up physically and spiritually as dumb old wage slaves -- it's to do away with the "cap" on withholdings from wages that gives rich folks just one more advantage in a rigged game.

It would help to take an actual close look at what the military and its evil clone on the private side actually do every day. As a former GI from another age, I know all too well how much Stupid and Corrupt and Featherbedding fills the ranks, particularly at the upper echelons. And do all those drones of all sizes and types, and crowd-control devices, make you feel "defended," or more "secure?" If so, you need to read a little in the MIC trade press, and DoD procurement and program documents.

"Is that all there is?" Peggy Lee.

by jm214 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 06:53:29 PM PST

•  Navy WIfe for 15 years of retiree (4+ / 0-)

from 2003.  There wasn't much featherbedding among the Es when my husband served.  He never put in less than 10 hour days--and that didn't include the mandatory PT. Lots of times he put in 12 hour days and longer--and his MCPO put in even longer days. The O who9 ws an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronim ) buddy put in the same kinda hours and a lot of weekends when he didn't have to. So did the docs at Medical on base--I know because one lived in the same Japanese apt. building we did.

Maybe the Pentagon is bloated but the average sailor i knew put in more hours then most  people in civilian jobs (except the ones like law associates who wanna make partner and get paid a lot more to start than most non-gklaf rank Os).

I can bet the Repubs will want to cut Tricare and pensions to people who've already retired, let alone future retirees. They've been trying to double or triple the cost of Tricare for retirees for years, along with co-pays for doctor visits and drugs.  The main man standing against them has been Kerry--and hes' gone. I do NOT expect McCain to do a damned thing other thn what he usually does: vote against helping  those who served and for the corporate interests.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 08:22:23 PM PST

•  I was a dumb GI who enlisted to "protect our (0+ / 0-)

Country" in 1966. I put in the long hours too, especially in a place called Vietnam. The thing about those hours is that they had about NOTHING to do with securing our nation and EVERYTHING to do with wealth transfer and a stupid, pre-failed game of geopolitics that was, just like Iraq and Afghanistan and now the War on Everyone, wrong, totally wrong, from the git-go. So all that loyalty, encouraged by camaraderie and fear of punishment and esprit, was wasted. Too bad the alternative of something like the WPA or CCC was not available, but then we all work for the 0.01% when you get down to it. (My time included being sent to the officer's golf course at Ft. Leonard Wood on 'casual detail," to walk around the driving range policing up golf balls while the officers did their best to hit me with drives and iron shots... no doubt the Navy is different, but inside the Pentagon is an institituionalized bureaucracy that CREATES stupidity and inefficiency and fraud, on a great scale.)

And guess what, of course? If you follow the stories at military.com, TriCare and GI benefits and enlisted pay and "benefits" and VA health care are all "on the table" for both Dems and Reds to hack at, while the really BIG programs, with their cadres of interested contractors and O-types, cruise on into a horrid future full of drones and death.

I think we are on the same side on this one. Really. The many, the working, hard-working many, against the few who mis-lead them in so many ways...

"Is that all there is?" Peggy Lee.

by jm214 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 05:23:13 AM PST

•  irishwitch, Dems and Repubs plan to have retired (0+ / 0-)

federal civilian and military members 'take a haircut.'

Pushed for time, so will leave you with two links that you may find interesting.

Jack Lew, the President's former Chief-Of-Staff, told Financial Times reporter James Politi that the Administration "supports all six pillars" of the Bowles-Simpson proposal (which is the recommendations of the President's own Fiscal Commission).

Please read The Moment Or Truth if you want more detail.

Here's an excerpt from 'Pillar' Four [snark intended] LOL!, or Section IV, Other Mandatory Policies.

snip

RECOMMENDATION 4.1: REVIEW AND REFORM FEDERAL WORKFORCE RETIREMENT PROGRAMS.

Create a federal workforce entitlement task force to re-evaluate civil service and military health and retirement programs and recommend savings of $70 billion over ten years.

snip
          And here's a link to the Center For American Progress' plan for reforming Tricare, entitled "Restoring Tricare . . ." which is under the dubious heading of Doing What Works, LOL!
          Sorry to say that I've only had time to glance at the CAP proposal, so I'm not sure how deep the cuts go.

But it might be worth your time (and that of all retired military) to read this sucker.  In the past, CAP has been known to put out proposals that call for some pretty stiff medicine.

Good luck!

Mollie

"If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 08:14:46 PM PST

•  kinda broad brush (5+ / 0-)

want to qualify that a little bit?

•  Wow. Just Wow. (4+ / 0-)

So punish people like me (age 63 and on early retirement because my retired Navy vet husband can't get a job and we liv eon his $1500 a month pension plus my $600 from SS--it's be higher if  I hadn't been a Navy Wife and had to move constantly and had been able to hold the professional job I am trained for) because you wanna be a dick to people who didn't vote for you.

I voted for Obama. So did my husband (but he';s only 56). Hell, my 88-year-old FATHER voted for Obama the first time, his last vote because he died that following May. My mother would have voted for Obama if she'd lived--he stood for thins she firmly believed in, had she not died a few years earlier. Both of them hated Bush.They were lifelong Dems from New England; though they retired in FL, that didn't change.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 08:15:40 PM PST

•  Not this Retiree (1+ / 0-)
      davidincleveland

And never will.

Never be afraid to voice your opinion and fight for it . Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans (Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)

by Rosalie907 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 08:41:27 PM PST

•  a2nite, I'm a lifelong Democratic activist. That (1+ / 0-)
      PhilJD

fact is none of your damned business. I donated, campaigned and voted for Obama twice, despite my very clear understanding that Candidate Obama campaigned on a promise to "reform Social Security" in 2007-2008. Those facts are none of your damned business either.

Here is some more information which is none of your damned business: In 2002, at the age of 60, after paying into the Social Security pension system since I was 16, I was ruled 100% disabled, and my monthly checks (SSI & SNAP) totaled $868. In 2004, my monthly total (from SSI, SS & SNAP) rose to $874. In 2013 my monthly total is $846.

A final set of facts which aren't your business: I make political and charitable donations, help my neighbors gratis, and pay $17 more monthly in rent than I did in 2002. I manage this by being personally frugal (for example I wear my younger brother's hand-me-ups and haven't bought a single garment in 8 years) but the increase in food prices did make me accept PIPP in 2012 for the same $72 monthly that it was going to be in 2004, when I turned it down.

a2nite, none of these not-your-business things are why I'm replying to your comment. I'm writing to congratulate you on already winning this year's MUTM* award, in February. Awesome. I'm sure everyone here will recognize that topping the 47%ster took real work on your part; the 47% statement was made at a private fundraiser but you wrote this publicly, on a progressive blog.

Retirees voted for Rs nt
      So refreshing, to know that you and Boppy agree that those who demographically didn't support our POTUS should be punished. Your ancestors and your social studies teachers must be so proud of you both. And Bo must be so jealous, though I'm sure he has too much class to bark at you about it. Unlike me.
      -------------------------
      * More Unamerican Than Mitt

Enough fossil fuel remains on Earth to warm it 6 degrees C by 2100 AD if it is all used. A +6 C planet will only sustain half a billion humans. Human population will rise to 9 billion by 2050. Any questions?

by davidincleveland on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 11:18:28 PM PST