View Diary: Hunger in the US has jumped 500% since "Hunger in America" aired (50 comments)

•  Love the post, but (15+ / 0-)

The link to AEI is disconcerting. Yes, it was written by Norm Ornstein, one of the few relatively sane people associated that with that sorry organization. The AEI has been at forefront, along with the Heritage Foundation, in pushing for shredding the safety net that keeps the poor from starving. You might want to preface the link to Ornstein's article with some distancing from the AEI track record of kicking the poor.

The other point is that you meant to say there are 50,000,000 Americans that are hungry.

There are now 50,000 Americans, including one in four children, who are hunger-challenged--17% of the population, according to FDA estimates.
    Otherwise, tipped and rec'ced.

Be radical in your compassion.

by DWG on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:34:58 AM PST

•  Thank you for reading, DWG (15+ / 0-)

I edited this diary to reflect the 50,000,000 as I am responsible for publishing this diary too early and psyched is not yet here.   I appreciate your pointing out the error.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:56:58 AM PST

•  People starving is a "success story"! (12+ / 0-)

If people are to be made to work, they have to be threatened with starvation. What do you think "no free lunch" means?

We organize governments to deliver services and prevent abuse.

by hannah on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:58:05 AM PST

•  Sorry about that link (4+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM, DWG, JaxDem, nomandates

I didn't realize it was a conservative site before I quoted from it. Anyway, what was said was okay, but please don't click on that link.

Thank you, JaxDem for assisting with the diary. That's okay that it went up earlier than I had planned. I am here late because of
      1. Being in the Pacific time zone
      2. Being a late riser
      3. My Firefox not working for a time

Thanks to all the readers for a nice reception to my first diary done for Hunger in America.

BTW, the film is "Place at the Table", not "A Place at the Table", as I said in one spot.

For the first time in human history, we possess both the means for destroying all life on Earth or realizing a paradise on the planet--Michio Kaku.

by psyched on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 10:10:27 AM PST

•  I hope it gets a good reception, but documentaries (4+ / 0-)
        DWG, psyched, JaxDem, nomandates

generally don't draw big crowds in the theaters.  I hope the promoters have plans for continued distribution, such as getting it shown on TV, making it available for purchase, putting substantial clips on YouTUbe, etc.

Maybe the Hunger in America group can keep us aware of the distribution push (if any).  CBS, back in the day, was a better way to reach masses of people than most documentaries (even the best) reach now.  BUt getting word out via blogs and Twitter could certainly help "PLace at the Table" considerably, and increase its long term effect.

I don't tweet, but I'll send the url of this diary to a friend who does.  I hope other people reccing this diary think about ways they can spread news of it too.

Increasing the awareness of how widespread hunger is could really help fight the Republican austerity/total-callousness approach.

--------------------- “These are troubling times. Corporation are treated like people. People are treated like things. …And if we ever needed to vote, we sure do need to vote now.” -- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber

by Fiona West on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 10:57:37 AM PST

•  The subject is very important (3+ / 0-)
        psyched, JaxDem, nomandates

I spent many hours a month volunteering at the local food bank. I am with you 1000% on why hunger in America needs attention.

Be radical in your compassion.

by DWG on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 11:43:04 AM PST