View Diary: John Roberts has always had it in for the Voting Rights Act (73 comments)

•  Why is it such a surprise that the burdens (24+ / 0-)

are placed differently on different regions...but the real burden remains on the folks who were denied rights by the differential systems of laws that was Jim Crow.

Don't states have a burden to equalize long term structural inequalities?

After all, it took the US Government 100 years to get around to passing the Voting Rights Act, doesn't it deserve 100 years of "effect" before being dismantled?

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:26:21 PM PST

•  Can't believe they are asking, is the south (12+ / 0-)

really more racist than the north? I now live in the south, in FL, as a lifelong northerner and I'd say, YES. The place fairly vibrates with it. When I first moved here I was glad because I thought I'd get more interaction with blacks but then I noticed that whenever I tried they were not interested at all. I think it's just that they are used to not having whites interested in interacting, which is shocking. But then learning of the history here which continued for so long in the last century, I'm no longer surprised by that.

Sorry, I know this is a broad generalization and apologize in advance if it offends anyone. I do realize that there are many friendships (like my niece whose best friend here is black) and instances where this is very different, depends on where you are within this area. And am not saying most whites here are racist either.

"extreme concentration of income is incompatible with real democracy.... the truth is that the whole nature of our society is at stake." Paul Krugman

by Gorette on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:53:29 PM PST

•  I know, right? (2+ / 0-)
        commonmass, Gorette

Last time I checked, bears still shat in the woods.

When 1% take 121% of the gains from "recovery", people actually recovering from lost employment are trading down on wages and benefits. Current strategies by moderates don't even consider winning the Class War.

by Words In Action on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:59:38 PM PST

•  No, no, its Kenyan's they hate now. So its all (1+ / 0-)
        Gorette

just fine.

Though, who knew there were so many Kenyan AA and latinos in the US?

•  bologna!!! (1+ / 0-)
        Gorette

I'm from mississippi on the coast. My group of friends, who i hung out with everyday was very diverse asian latino iranian and AA, Like it or not yankees can come across like there trying to hard and are fake like we are supposed to make a strong judement about you in the first 5 minutes we meet because you think your that imporant, to make a strong impression. i have moved to mo and have found that midwesterners are far more racist. they say racist shit all the time, worse they have no clue there being racist! or start off by saying i'm not racist but. try not comming across like you are trying to make a effort, and jut be organicaly friendly and you will have more positive results.

•  Missouri = South (0+ / 0-)

Slave state. Jim Crow. 'Nuff said.

Republicans...think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 06:32:38 AM PST

•  where are the (0+ / 0-)

most segregated cites, THE RUST BELT!!! the two least segregated cities in the usa Houston and Atalanta what's that tell ya.i gess yanks never called italians wops and never told the irish need not apply or called anybody a stupid rican. I gess the north never experienced riots or shot unarmed minorities, and i assume  New York does not disproportionately stop and frisk minorities. Sounds like a great place to live.

•  Never said (0+ / 0-)

the north was free of all problems. I'm Irish, I wrote all about that history. My wife's from Puerto Rico, I know all about that too.

But last I checked northern states didn't forbid people to sit at the same lunch counter or drink from the same fountain in my parents' lifetime. And hanging people from trees for sport was never huge here. If not for brave protesters who gave their lives, and federal intervention, your home state would still not have integrated luncheonettes. Mississippi and its neighbors have been holding back sensible policy in this country for about 200 years. So don't lecture me.

And yes, I'd sure as hell rather live here than down there.

by fenway49 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:54:01 AM PST

•  I read your diary (0+ / 0-)

i enjoyed it it was very good.I reced it when it came out.being from boston surely you remember the boston busing crisis (1974-1988) a series of protest and riots in response to the passing of 1965 racial imbalance act of 1965. I'm sure that took place in you'r parents lifetime. Yes hanging people from trees may have not been a past time, but police shooting minorites, throwing them down flights of stairs,picking up AA teenagers and drooping them off in white naborhoods  after dark so the could get there ass wopped ,and beating out confessions was . All common pratice in the 70s and 80s,during your parents lifetime. My grandparents are from New Jersy while people in nj do not say the n word they do say (the blacks) with such disgust and disdain it's hard for me not to throw up ,And lets not forget the dot busters of nj who went around beating the shit out of indians in nj in the late 90s during your parents lifetime .Martin Luther king is quoted as saying of all the places i have been nothing compares to the hate i experenced in chicago. In indiana half of the elected members of the general assembly were ku kluk klan menbers in 1925 including the governor. Yes without a doubt the south have been holding back sensible policy for 200 years and i don't begrude you for wanting to live in your home state.And yes I have heard some crazy recent stories about my home state, and yes I live in a more socially progressive area than the rest of my state (the coast) The editor of mississippi press came out in favor of desegration in the 60s, so i might be a little biased. You are more than welcome to move hear some day, we could allways use more dems I think you will find it a pretty cool place to live.

•  Part of the problem is the framing (6+ / 0-)

Republicans consider this to be a form of discrimination against the South for past sins, rather than an effort to prevent discrimination against real living breathing people in specific jurisdictions.  Two thoughts:

The GOP always attributes personhood to organizations or even geographic regions.  Discrimination against "the south"?  That's as silly as "corporations are people, my friend".  The VRA causes no burden to southern communities or southern people who comply with the VRA.  It's only a burden on communities and individuals trying to game the system to shut out minorities.

The whole "past sins" frame is a little foolish. As others have pointed out, disenfranchising half of Michigan's black community in local elections through the misuse of emergency managers is just as much a violation. Let's expand the franchise, not contract it.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 05:22:24 PM PST

•  Very good arguments there. Thanks. (0+ / 0-)

by Gorette on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:14:40 PM PST

•  Everytime I see you here I think about the (0+ / 0-)

pileated woodpeckers I see from time to time where I live in Florida. My secret wish is that I will someday be blessed to see one with an ivory bill. I know. But we can hope.

by Gorette on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:16:15 PM PST

•  exactly (0+ / 0-)

that is the problem in a nutshell:

by a gilas girl on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:28:46 PM PST

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site