View Diary: The gender police go after a young offender (73 comments)

•  There is really someone named W. Kelly Dude? (4+ / 0-)

With a name like that...I almost want to feel sorry for him. He almost can't help being an idiot.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 02:59:03 PM PST

•  An inherited name is now grounds for shaming? (2+ / 0-)
      Charles Hall, RamblinDave

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:44:09 PM PST

•  Get a life. (1+ / 0-)
        Horace Boothroyd III

It was snark. And you have to admit IF you have a sense of humor, which you apparently don't, it's a silly name.  It just sounds like something you'd create for a charcter in a story.

And the idiot part comes from the fact that he didn't quit his job with the school board over this case--their decision wa idiotic and so was hiss to defend it.  If he'd had any moral scruples he'd have turned in hsi resignation.

I collect odd names. My SiL's first husband was named Puckett.  It always makes me laugh because it sounds like a polite version of "Fuck it".  Sorry you don't share my sense of humor. It was hardly a racial or ehtnic slur--but having to call someone "Mr. Dude" is a lot calling someone "Mister Mister".

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:34:42 PM PST

•  You'd get it if it were YOU being made fun of, (0+ / 0-)

I suspect.

by Neuroptimalian on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 08:57:42 PM PST

•  I've been made fun of plenty. (1+ / 0-)
            Horace Boothroyd III

ANd my first name, Gillian, is always mispronounced--I use the Welsh hard G, rather than the more common Anglo-French J sound.  ANd my last name has 10 letters and, while it seems to me fairly easy to spell, is often misspelled. And my nickname Gil often elecits fish jokes. I smile and tell them I am descended from a long line of Irish merrows or mermaids--but my branch of the family left the seas a while ago, so I don;t have gills.

But there is NOTHING insulting about pointing out that some names are just silly to hear. Hell, I think Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions has an utterly ridiculous name which reflects his own pretensions of gentility while sounding like the hero in a bad CIvil War novel.

I realize you're humor-impaired. I bet you have real problems with Colbert and Stewart, let alone Bill Maher.

But I've been truly bullied--and what I was doing is not bullying.  Real bullying is being attacked for your sexual orientation or you r race or religion--and as a Wiccan int he deep South, I've been the recipient of that sort of "humor" (like having someone key "Jesus Hates Witches"  over a bumper sticker that read "My other car is a broom" with a cartoon witch--because we only OWN one car) so I know the difference.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 09:21:05 PM PST

•  For what it's worth, I too live in the South, ... (0+ / 0-)

and no one has EVER correctly spelled or pronounced ANY of my three names.  (sigh)  So there's that.  (I would, however, have pronounced your name correctly, it seems, as that is how I just assumed it was pronounced.)  And no, I don't find it funny to make fun of things that people can't help.  Things that actually ARE humorous do make me laugh, but they're usually more cerebral.

by Neuroptimalian on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 10:21:42 PM PST

•  Actually very few people ever get it right (0+ / 0-)

if they only see it written. It happens MORE often down here.

And I'll bey you've NEVER been Wiccan down here--and the point I was making. Being different is the reason you get bullied. What I described above was actually PAST bullying and into a case of criminal vandalis, DIdn't bother to report it because my hsuband grew up here, and the local cops are all Christian. I could give you two other examples of it, but you STILL wouldn't get it

And names, like religions, can be changed.  Several of my friends have because they simply disliked the name they were born with. One did it for to join SAG (just his first name), another because she didn't care for her name, a third because her name was so ordinary as to be unmemorable and as an artist she wanted her name remembered.  So, yes, he could legally change his name.

This girl's gender identity cannot be--and THAT is what made him an idiot.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 10:46:47 AM PST

•  In a decent world, ... (0+ / 0-)

a person wouldn't be expected to spend hundreds of dollars (that they possibly don't have) to change their name in order to appease idiots and bullies.  If they were, the same logic could be applied to any one else who is "different" as a (cruel) way to force them into conformity.

And you're right, I have no idea what it's like to be Wiccan as I subscribe to no spiritual beliefs whatsoever.  They make no sense to logic-based people.

by Neuroptimalian on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 01:17:25 PM PST

•  I am logic-based. (0+ / 0-)

If a belief is contradicted by scientific fact, it goes out the window.  Wiccans may be atheists. Some are. Some are monotheists, others are polytheists. We don't have a lot of dogma.Our main law is that we may do as e will, so long as it harms no one--and we see the entire planet as just as important as the humans who live there. Most of our religious practice is to remind us of our relationship to this world,a nd the universe as a whole. If you object to that.....

Me, I think there's something out there, but I don't attempt to put limits on it by narrowing it down.  And if I only end up as part of the Universe--star-stuff as Sagan put oit--I won't be disappointed, because that's a very Wiccan attitude .

I note that I can't laugh at a name--but it is just fine for YOU to insult people who aren't atheists.  Hmm. Double standard much? One rule for you, another for anyone you disagree with?  Pretty much what I expected from you past comments in other diaries.  Not worth wsting my time on.And, FYO, your comment meets my definition of bullying.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 01:43:21 PM PST

•  I had it bad enough. (2+ / 0-)
              irishwitch, aitchdee

But let's just say I'm glad  I got out of school before the internet lexicon developed.

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 04:48:47 AM PST

•  I've seent his one at work before. (2+ / 0-)
                Horace Boothroyd III, aitchdee

ANd looked him up.  VERY few recs ever.  And likes to make this sort of comment, lecturing others. Annoying but maybe not a real troll.

And utterly devoid of a sense of humor.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 10:48:04 AM PST