View Diary: Arming teachers? First, don't shoot self or others in training. (295 comments)

•  There are lot of things that are being done (16+ / 0-)

in schools.....keypads, buzz-in systems, shatter-proof glass, cameras, drills, smart phone sync-ups, education of parents and community members, public service announcements to other community stakeholders in the school, coordination among law enforcement, and more interventionists in the schools.

All of that costs money though.  But we're having fund-raisers instead of just sticking a fucking gun in someone's hand.

This entire mindset, the barbarism, has to just go away.

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 09:08:19 AM PST

•  "Barbarism"? (2+ / 0-)
      GAS, Buckeye Nut Schell

It is civilized not to want situations that are so backwards that defensive gun use will improve them.

It is civilized to take active and even expensive measures to minimize them in the first place.

It's not barbarism to be able to handle them when they happen anyway.

Did you mean the "mindset" of thinking of guns first without exploring other options? If so, I'm with you.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 09:56:04 AM PST

•  Well said! n/t (2+ / 0-)

I voted for the human beings.

by denig on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 11:10:28 AM PST

•  I think all of those things are good but... (0+ / 0-)

Sandy Hook had many of those things (minus the shatter proof glass) and it still happened. I was traumatically effected by Sandy Hook even though it did not affact me personally.  I empathized with the victims, I felt anger towards the NRA and the gun enthusiasts but most of all, I felt a sense of helplessness towards protecting our kids from the next round of violence and there will be a next round.  There always seems to be a next round.

I am not a gun enthusiast.  I don't want guns in my house and other than a couple antiques of my great grandfather, there are none.  I despise the NRA and I believe in everything you said and advocate going further.  I believe that we should require a gun license just like a car license and I think we should require insurance as well.

I just do not see that as being enough with all of the guns already out there.  I believe that a sensible, well trained person can safely carry a concealed weapon with minimal danger.  Just like a trust FBI agents and police detectives to carry a weapon responsibly.  Are there problems with my beliefs? yes.  Will there be accidents? Probably.  The question is, does the benefit outweight the risks?  That is where there is a judgement call.  I believe the answer is yes.  I understand why some would feel the answer is no.  Does that warrant being called an idiot or a dumbass if we fall on different sides of that judgement call?  I do not think so.

I appreciate your thought out response.  We are all on the same side here at dkos.  We are friends of a feather so to speak.  Attacking one another when we disagree with insults and ugliness is counter productive to our goals and it tears down our community.  I have always believed that we can disagree in a civil manner.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 11:54:46 AM PST

•  It is too easy to get a gun in this country (7+ / 0-)

That is the very premise from which we must start.  Too many people think of guns as an answer.  That has to change.  And normalizing the carrying of guns in a school.....well, that runs in the opposite direction of the goal.

I don't give a shit how many guns are "already out there".  I want a big ol' curb on how many news ones can be made.  I don't want a Nancy Lanza to even have an opportunity to purchase an AR-15 or any other gun like it.

If you're a rancher and need a specific gun and can prove that, no problem.  But an upper middle-class suburb-dweller?  No.

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 01:09:43 PM PST

•  Didn't Columbine have armed security personnel? nt (2+ / 0-)
        DefendOurConstitution, coquiero

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 04:13:30 PM PST

•  Two of 'em (2+ / 0-)
          LilithGardener, PsychoSavannah

but Columbine, like most American high schools, was huge.  The armed security couldn't get to the kids fast enough.

So what's the solution?  Arm everyone!  Then there will be sure to be guns to respond to the guns.

I'm being flippant, but meeting bad guns with ever more guns is not the solution.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 05:05:52 PM PST