View Diary: Arming teachers? First, don't shoot self or others in training. (295 comments)

•  This is insulting: "people were against "Horseless (13+ / 0-)
    Many people were against "Horseless carriages" when they came out and used every accident as proof that they should not exist but it is easy to see the folly in that looking back.
    How sick are we of these completely dumb comparisons?

The endless idiotic chant:

Guns are llike horseless carriages
    Guns are like dumbells
    Guns are like marijuana
    Guns are like hammers
    Guns are like abortion
    Guns are like vaccinations
    Guns are like precious metals
    Guns are like body parts
    Guns are like sex

And my favorite and evidently the gun gangs favorite

Guns are like vaginas!

But for some reason they get all pissy when someone says:

Guns are like penises.

I voted for the human beings.

by denig on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 10:02:12 AM PST

•  How about this for an analogy... (0+ / 0-)

People who respond to attempts at a reasonable conversation with insults and empty rhetoric are like assholes...period.

Mocking a comment is not the same as responding to the merit of the argument.

I made several points that you could have offered a counterpoint to.  I explained my beliefs and tried to justify them by using bullet points and yes, an analogy (albeit not a very good one).  However, you attacked the use an analogy rather than the point I made with it.  How about addressing the key points of the argument such as:

Teachers are more likely to actually care about a student's safety than a hired gun.

Teachers are busy with their jobs so they are less likely to get bored and therefor have scope creep becoming armed hall monitors.

The hundreds of million guns already in circulation are not going to magically disappear because of any new gun regulation so having an armed person in the school to defend children is not an insane proposition.

I happen to trust teachers to actually care about kids more than I do low paid security gaurds or off duty police officers prone to scope creep.

Let's have a discussion about the merits and drawbacks of each side of this argument free from insults and conclussion jumping.

or this:
      Arming a "few" specially trained and compensated teachers is not an ideal solution.  I wouldn't even say it is a good solution.  However, it is the best solution I can come up with and if you have a better idea, I will drop my endorsement of it in a heart beat.
      Any bully or troll can come up with smart alec responses but try coming up with sensible responses like  PsychoSavannah did to promote a real conversation.  I'm willing to see the other side of the argument.  Are you?

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 11:38:25 AM PST

•  Troll? Did you just stoop to calling me a troll? (2+ / 0-)

more pathetic by the day.

I voted for the human beings.

by denig on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 11:48:14 AM PST

•  You are really trying to pick a fight aren't you (0+ / 0-)

I am certain that your reading comprehension is better than that so I can only assume that you are purposely trying to start a confrontation.

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 11:57:40 AM PST

•  Keep insulting, insinuating, and spinning (0+ / 0-)

and if you're not trolling already, you'll achieve that status eventually.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 12:18:58 PM PST

•  That's just a dumb thing to say & you're flirting (2+ / 0-)

with trouble by doubling down on this idiot "troll" meme.   I'm not the least concerned about my status. I've managed quite well here, for quite a long time thank you very much.

But by all means

Do Proceed.

I voted for the human beings.

by denig on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 01:21:35 PM PST

•  I never called you a troll (0+ / 0-)

I was trying to say that is what trolls do, come up wit smartalec response rather than address the substance of the matter.

It is easy to hurl insults and find parts of an argument to make fun of.  It is not a good way to have a real discussion though.

denig, we have both been around here for a really long time.  I am not a one topic guy, focused on gun proliferation.  I have a whole range of issues that I tend to be slightly more conservative on than the majority here a dkos.  There are other issues that I tend to be much more progressive as well.  I have a great respect for the community here and I understand when people disagree with me.  It's okay.

You obviously do not want to be called a troll (whether I intended that label or not) and I do not like to be mocked (wether you intended to mock me or not).  All I want is a civil discussion using as much facts, logic and common sense as we can muster.  Name calling and ridicule will not get us anywhere.

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 02:08:06 PM PST

•  What you did was several passive aggresive insults (2+ / 0-)

towards me. I won't bother to list them. You can reread what you wrote if you'd like to review them. My insult was direct. I was mocking you.

The way you responded to me was not the more noble. It was insulting. And I agree, it's not a good way to have a discussion.

I have read you in the past and I can not disagree with your assessment of your postings.

I stand by my list. I was however too quick  in posting my list as an insult to you.  Had I stopped and paid more attention to whom I was responding, I would have been more questioning and less with the insults.

I voted for the human beings.

by denig on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 02:36:18 PM PST

•  I agree that my response was insulting as well (3+ / 0-)

I have taken a lot of heat for my comments but I believe most of them are visceral rejections of the concept as opposed to the merits of my argument.

I am in favor of gun control.  I am probably more for stringent gun control than many here on this site.  As I have said, I consider this to be like chemotherapy, a solution barely better than the disease.

I was too quick to bite back.  It is okay for us to disagree but we have to remember that we are probably more alike on most issues than we are different and just because we differ here on this one, we're on the same team.

Peace!

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 02:46:43 PM PST

•  Sure sounded like it to me. (1+ / 0-)
          DefendOurConstitution

An 4sshole too.
          But that's OK, he's one of he gun gang, they can say anything they want and if you even slightly impugn their sterling reputations, you'll get a bunch of pastry.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 12:20:50 PM PST

•  Your manifesto is mistaken (3+ / 0-)

Training teachers to be armed in the classroom is asinine.

•  If guns are like penises, then banning guns is... (0+ / 0-)

...like castration.