View Diary: Political Book Club: Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead and The Feminine Mystique at 50 (54 comments)

•  Have you read the Feminine Mystique or Lean In? (1+ / 0-)
    glorificus

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty - Edward R. Murrow

by Susan Grigsby on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 01:23:40 PM PDT

•  Yes. And, I have also read (6+ / 0-)

Delusions of Gender

and

Detective Marie Cirile: Memoirs of a Police Officer

and

Maureen Honey's Creating Rosie the Riveter

Margaret Rossiter's History of women scientists in America, volume I and volume II (and volume III just came out month before last) and met to chat with Margaret many times when I was a postdoc at Cornell -- and she was fighting a battle of her own, to get on the tenure track.  Now she has a named senior chair, and an award named after her.

The fact is that there are many, many women who have a great deal more experience than Sheryl Sandberg in male-dominated environments, and have had to fight far harder battles than she will ever face.

By addressing primarily women in office jobs, with primarily only "office-y" problems to solve (there is not a single engineer or academic research scientist in her "Lean In" website's stories -- and only one firefighter), and by pretending that getting experientially unqualified women into office jobs that nominally "leadership", she is really not doing anyone any favors.

Men will not follow a woman who has not done any time in the trenches, and women will not follow a woman who is blithely oblivious all the decades we spent smashing against locked doors just to be able to get into the room -- telling us we just have to "sit at the table."  Please.

"We must close union offices, confiscate their money and put their leaders in prison. We must reduce workers salaries and take away their right to strike.” -Adolf Hitler, May 2, 1933

by bekosiluvu on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:15:58 PM PDT

•  Would you consider writing a diary covering some (3+ / 0-)
        tardis10, glorificus, bookgirl

of the things you have gotten out of those books for this series?

I would love to read your thoughts about women's issues based on your reading and your life experience.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty - Edward R. Murrow

by Susan Grigsby on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:24:08 PM PDT

•  I am serious, by the way. It frightens me how far (5+ / 0-)

back we have fallen. I don't think Lean In is the answer, only a part of the solution for the women to whom it applies.

Meanwhile, women's rights are being stripped every day by a power structure that largely ignores our voices.

I think we need a conversation. And that conversation has to include different perspectives and voices. I'd like to hear yours.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty - Edward R. Murrow

by Susan Grigsby on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 02:37:10 PM PDT

•  Oh absolutely! No problem! (1+ / 0-)
          Susan from 29

There are things I like about the whole "Lean In" thing --

and one of them is encouraging young women to talk to each other about the things they see going on.

Unfortunately, I really don't trust a protege of Larry Summers.

After all, he basically engineered the financial market deregulation that so negatively impacted heads of households, women and people of color disproportionately.

Not to mention what he said about women scientists and engineers.

So I'm not sure how helpful it will be for women in nontraditional work,  particularly those of us who aspire to create new knowledge, make new discoveries, patent new technological innovations.

One of the most common excuses you hear for the gender gap in pay is that women don't major in STEM fields, don't take dangerous or overseas jobs, don't like to get their hands dirty.

I really struggle with the ability of a C-suite cutie in high heels to help us with that.  Not all of us are interested in being the amanuensis to The Great Man in The Great Company.

And, I am particulary concerned that "leaning in" means, necessarily, giving the Mighty Bell and LeanIn apps access to all of our facebook contacts, personal data and posting streams.

by bekosiluvu on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 05:25:53 PM PDT

•  I hear what you are saying, I had to put aside (2+ / 0-)
            glorificus, bookgirl

my feelings about her work for Larry Summers (her mentor) and Robert Rubin, and her connections to Facebook and Google.  I just wanted to hear what she had to say that upset so many women pundits.

And yes, I too am concerned about the general privacy issues with Facebook and Mighty Bell. But I wonder how much of that is my age and my own bias. I know a lot of younger women who don't see the same problems that I do and freely share on Facebook.

I would love to have you contribute a diary expressing these opinions and ideas and the books as a counterpoint to this one. Not so much condemning Sandberg (of course you are free to do so) but presenting the real Rosie the Riveter and the work of some of the other writers you have mentioned.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty - Edward R. Murrow

by Susan Grigsby on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 06:00:21 PM PDT

•  How wonderful to hear that you knew Rossiter! (1+ / 0-)
        Susan from 29

I very much enjoyed her histories of women in the sciences, and now that I know that there's a third volume I will track it down. I am very pleased that she has continued her important work.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:04:58 PM PDT