View Diary: Morning Open Thread: Casual Friday (56 comments)

•  Good Morning everyone (4+ / 0-)
    JaxDem, eeff, BOHICA, Joy of Fishes

ITS STILL DARK OUTSIDE!!!

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 04:12:46 AM PST

•  Morning, ex! (4+ / 0-)
      BOHICA, exlrrp, eeff, Joy of Fishes

How did things work out with your in person visit to the VA?  Wait, don't tell me...you're on the list, right.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 04:15:30 AM PST

•  nowhere, nothing (4+ / 0-)
        eeff, JaxDem, angelajean, Joy of Fishes

I made all the phone calls I could, including going up and talking to them directly  and calling my doctor to see if he cold find out.
        NO ONE is going to give me the information. No one at all. they WILL not tell me how long the wating list is, where I am on it
        So thats it: "could be weeks, could be months" is the ONLY time frame I have been given by the professionals in charge of my healthcare as to when this important operation will take place on a potentially life threatening growth.  they think that is an adequate answer to "when is this goig tohappen?"

Ive called 2 different private dermatology clinics, they say I can get it done for $1k---2k. I am debating. whether or not to just  get it done there---they could do it within 3 weeks. What I'm thinking---and I'm waiting for more info on some things---is to take the trip to Chile and get it done when I come back.
        Its frustrating, real frustrating. whats rreally frustrating is this is the only time of year when this had to happen, any other time, be no problem.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 04:54:35 AM PST

•  I know it must be frustrating (4+ / 0-)
          exlrrp, angelajean, Joy of Fishes, Vetwife

and of course you've got a big trip coming up.  If you had nothing going on then things would have worked out differently.

What happens if the VA decides "it's now time" and attempts to contact you while you are in Chile?  If you don't respond then do they bump you off or what?

I know, it's useless to ask the VA an intelligent question like that.  I have had enough experience w/Navy hospitals to know how that works.

How soon is the Chile trip?  If it's pretty soon, I would save my $$$ and see what shakes out when you get back.

by JaxDem on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:02:53 AM PST

•  I don't know (3+ / 0-)
            angelajean, JaxDem, Joy of Fishes

It would be just like them to do that---call me up the day I left. thats why I am wondering if, rather than chafe at being at the effect of their whims, I shoud just set it up with a real professional and get it done in a reasonable amount of time.
            Part of my uncertainty is I have never talked to a doctor about this, no one has ever told me what the prognosis is,what would be the best thing to do or even what the time factor is.I can only think its not that critical, unless theyre just being incompetent (again!) and maybe lost my files. Someone whose file has been lost by the VA as many as mine has is going to wonder..
            if your healthcare is leaving you that much in the cold, itts time to consider alternatives, especially because theyre not that expensive.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:27:12 AM PST

•  more frustration (1+ / 0-)
              JaxDem

You can not call anyone directly at the VA clinics any more, you have to go through a new "Answering service." these people take down your message and give it to the person youre tryig to call. You can NOT call people directly, not even just to leave a message on their voicemail like you useta do.
              So you have to sit and tell the person---slowly, so they can transcribe the message-- and they send the message to the person. If its  lengthy message, well tougho shito---you sit there and slowly tell it all to the person, whos summarizing it anyway.
              I did this to call my doctor----the nurse called back while I was driving and couldn't reach the phone---saying on my voicemail that I was---wait for it---on the list and thats all they could tell me about it.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:34:21 AM PST

•  Oh for crying out loud find out your options. (2+ / 0-)
              JaxDem, emmasnacker
              The above is the just about the dumbest thing I've heard in all my years in healthcare. ASK someone. If you can afford it, stop farting around and get the procedure done.

If the following is true - and how would you know? You apparently can't be bothered to ask?

on a potentially life threatening growth
              Deal with it ASAP.

*There are two sides to every horseshit.* Kos

by glorificus on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:44:21 AM PST

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
                JaxDem

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:49:22 AM PST

•  I understand your position as someone (2+ / 0-)
                exlrrp, Vetwife

in the healthcare field and sometimes folks need to be booted in the butt to get them to do something for their own good.  That said, ex is more than entitled to the "no charge" healthcare from the VA that he earned risking his life in Vietnam.  This kind of treatment is, sadly too common in VA centers and still in some military care facilities as well.  I was first exposed to military care in 1970 and the bureaucratic red tape -- that never worked well back then -- hasn't changed much since then.  Within a military/va healthcare facility consideration for the patient is far from the number one priority and they are not for profit!  What would happen if ex didn't have the funds to go civilian?  Why can't someone at least tell him something, anything about his ear?  It is unconscionable.

In the end, I can't blame ex for trying to get answers in order to make a good decision in his case.  No one should have to resort to pulling $$ out of their pocket because of unacceptable procedures.

Personally, I think this should be documented and reported to the high heavens.

by JaxDem on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 06:06:00 AM PST

•  Thanks jd (1+ / 0-)
                  JaxDem

I think glorificus didn't know thaat Ive already been to the VA, already had a biopsy and know the results so I know what it is!

I AM trying to ask someone, thats EXACTLY what I'm trying to do! And I am Getting NO answer at all. NO ANSWER!! NONE!!! Other than: "could be weeks, could be months." that is a DIRECT QUOTE, and its the only time frame I have been given.
                  If, by stop farting around, glorificus means to start seeking alternatives, I HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT TOO! I am shopping around for the right clinic now that has the right price and the right time. I will make the decision based on the best info I have at that time

So thanks again for all the good advice, glorificus, but I'm way ahead of you

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 06:47:06 AM PST

•  Also (1+ / 0-)
                    JaxDem

there's a certain urgency in finding out because I lready have tickets to Chile to visit my son and granddaughters on th 13th of Feb.
                    it would be nice to know when the operation is scheduled(for) therefore but the VA will not give me that info NO ATER HOW HARD I TRY TO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    farting around, my ass!

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 06:51:15 AM PST

•  I realize you should get free care from the VA (1+ / 0-)
                    JaxDem

and I wholeheartedly support that.

But don't fart around with your health waiting for them, if you can afford to take care of the problem.

Yes, you deserve much more than you are getting - I've spoken with Vetwife from time to time about the situations she sees - but don't become damaged while waiting if you can help it.

I see you are in front of this, and apologize for my excessively enthusiastic response.

*There are two sides to every horseshit.* Kos