View Diary: President Obama on today's sequester meeting with congressional leaders (270 comments)

•  Straight repeal of the Sequester (15+ / 0-)

Why doesn't Obama tell the press, tell congress, send me a clean straight repeal of the sequester.  None of us like it, so just repeal it, it is that simple?

"Art is a lie that makes you realize the truth." - Picasso

by she the technocrat on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 09:21:43 AM PST

•  Because the whole point of the sequester... (25+ / 0-)

...has always been Shock Doctrine. It's about creating a manufactured crisis that can be used to implement unpopular policies that the 1% like but the rest of the country does not, like "entitlement reform," aka cutting SS benefits.

•  Bingo! (12+ / 0-)

A top Obama aide, Gene Sperling, came right out and said yesterday that the purpose of the sequester was to force Congressional Democrats to support Obama's great white whale of the Grand Bargain.

When people continually ask why the President doesn't do the right thing, Occam's Razor should tell you it's because he doesn't want to. The self-delusions of the first term are no longer tenable. He's reelected, and will never run again. He's not tacking right for political gain. He's tacking right because that's where he wants to go.

•  nonsense! nt (5+ / 0-)

In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God ~RFK

by vcmvo2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:10:49 AM PST

•  Yet another wannbe mind-reader (4+ / 0-)

It's never enough for some to claim a mistake has beeen made. For some there must always be some sinister conspiracy afoot. This sort of stuff is greatly popular during college all-nighters. Pass the bong. Seriously, pass the bong.

•  The email in question (4+ / 0-)

is easily obtained by googling and it does indeed say that.

The problem with your argument is that the president himself keeps putting cuts to the social safety net on the table.

Go ahead, laugh.  On the issue of austerity, the president only disagrees with the GOP on degree, not concept.

•  wrong again! (1+ / 0-)
                GustavMahler

On this site when you state something like that, you need to link reliable sources.

You didn't, you made an assertion based on your belief of what Obama wants.

That is not properly using Occam's Razor at all. Never mind proving your assertions.

by vcmvo2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:45:58 AM PST

•  Here you go: (5+ / 0-)

This information is not only readily available from the Gene Sperling quote from yesterday, but if you would just pay attention to what Obama says over and over, you could become informed without people having to spoonfeed it to you.  Obama wants more than anything to have his Grand Bargain and his biggest bargaining chip is Social Security (the chained CPI).

But I see you are busy trying to make sense of Occam's Razor. That must explain your inattention to what is actually going on.

•  You are not considering anything (0+ / 0-)

else that is involved in the sequester just the "Grand Bargain."

There are other things in there including federal pay, funding the NIH (which is vital to my daughter's health) and military and very important things like veteran's benefits that Obama does not want. Never has wanted. He is not just like the GOP.

You are stating that his only purpose in life is this Grand Bargain and that he has no other agenda goals. Sorry but that is just wrong.

by vcmvo2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 01:33:42 PM PST

•  Please show me (2+ / 0-)
                GustavMahler, vcmvo2

Where it says "Oh boy now I can tack right" signed, PHO.

I didn't read that. Some mind-reader did.

As for "cut the safety net" could you be more vague please?

To name just one cut to the safety net I hope to see: Cutting out the law that forbids Medicare from negotiating the best price for prescription drugs.  That "cut" would save billions and not cut results one bit.

Unless, of course, one's desired result is the opportunity to complain.

So get with the quotes and get with the specificity or get used to being called out in debate.

•  Obama doesn't need to tack right... (1+ / 0-)
                  shaharazade

...he's already there. As he himself said in an interview toward the end of last year, he is a 1980s conservative. Just because today's Republican party has gone insane doesn't make Obama any less conservative.

•  Nonsense again! (0+ / 0-)

Gay marriage rights and their equality under the law is not conservative nor right wing.

Fair pay for women is not right wing. And obviously immigration reform despite the elevation of Marco Rubio is not anything that the right wing cares about at all.

But please proceed with right wing talking points!

by vcmvo2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 01:36:21 PM PST

•  It's a "right wing talking point"... (0+ / 0-)

...to note what Obama himself has said about his own positions. Interesting. I didn't pull it out of my ass; Obama himself explicitly said his policies are 1980s Republican. I know it's hard to accept when one has put him on the pedestal of the greatest liberal of all time, but he's just not as liberal as people are desperate for him to be.

And there are many people who argue that marriage, period, gay or straight, is a conservative idea and that gay people shouldn't be fighting for it because of that. I'm not one such person because despite being an actual socialist, I'm not even that far left.

•  socialists in this country (0+ / 0-)

are considered to be far left, whether that's accurate or not, the media carry on like socialists are the devil. Hence why they call Obama a socialist all the time.

I know he's not that liberal, I've known that since I first saw him during the primary wars here in 2007-2008.

He wasn't my primary choice but I voted for him twice.

I don't put him on a pedestal but neither do I feel making him out to be just like Boehner or Cantor is an accurate portrayal.

by vcmvo2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 03:30:46 PM PST

•  I know! (1+ / 0-)
              Quicklund

I was just working on a premise of Immanuel Kant's on why people who don't own property can't vote or be citizens.

His premise was much more logical and detailed, and I still had to argue against it using logical fallacies.

Then I read this juvenile interpretation of Obama;s intent on the sequester applying Occam's Razor wrongly and well I just didn't have time to deal with it.

Nonsense worked for me. Mind reading is worthless especially as it applies to something like the sequester which covers so much more than entitlement benefits.

Really Occam's Razor has to have some testable theories behind it not just confirmation bias!

by vcmvo2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:43:44 AM PST

•  If you think Obama tacks right... (3+ / 0-)

You're REALLY not paying attention. Eliminated DADT? Got the Affordable Care bill passed? I mean, I can give you a link with hundreds of Obama's accomplishments in office, but what's the point? You seem like you just don't like Obama and couldn't care less about the sacrifices he's making to keep our government working.

"When facts are reported, they deny the value of evidence; when the evidence is produced, they declare it inconclusive." -- Augustine, in The City of God.

by Zek J Evets on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:33:03 AM PST

•  The Affordable Care Act... (9+ / 0-)

...is a conservative plan. It came from the fucking Heritage Foundation and was championed by Bob Fucking Dole in the mid 90s. Just because Obama championed it now over a decade later doesn't make it any less of a conservative plan.

Obama himself said explicitly last year that he is a 1980s conservative.

•  Yes. Notice that there is no public option. (5+ / 0-)

Instead we got a convoluted plan that involves gazillion dollars being raked off to the insurance industry. Yes, it's better than nothing, but by the time the Republicans get finished ripping it to shreds by not cooperating with the Feds and allowing states to opt out of the Medicaid benefits, it may not even be functional.  The best way to deal with health insurance has already been tried and is successful in countries all over the world.   It is Socialized Medicine!  Ooops I said a bad word.

•  Damn! Wasted those 450 voted lined up in Congress (0+ / 0-)

We had Congress champing at the bit to vote through single payer. But then our President had to go and say "Over my dead body!"

And since we all know how Congress jumps to the Presidential finger-snap, that was it. end of the single payer option.

Thanks, these nuanced political breakdowns are why I keep reading Dailykos.

•  The Affordable Care Act (2+ / 0-)
              Quicklund, GustavMahler

is a good plan. It didn't come from the Heritage Foundation any more than it came from Mitt Romney. It's been an ideal (a Democratic ideal) since the 1960s to enact healthcare reform.

Oh, but boo hoo. The big bad guys also like it so that makes it bad... even though now the bad guys are against it? So I guess the real question is: is it a good plan, period? The answer is: yes, yes it is. Not the best plan, but a good plan, and only one we could reasonably get passed at the time. Now millions of American, and millions of children, will be able to get healthcare who previously didn't have any.

But I digress. Why are we debating healthcare? Obama won that round a long time ago. Just admit it and move on.

As for Obama's remark you mention. Notice he said: "The truth of the matter is that my policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican."

Obama was clearly stating that not only are his policies non-controversial (an important talking point) but they are widely accepted by most Americans, even those who don't like him. As such, he was saying he'd be SEEN AS a 1980's moderate Republican. He DID NOT say that he IS one.

So, yeah, read for comprehension next time there, eh kiddo?

Anyhoo, point is: Obama doesn't tack right because he leans that way. He tacks right in order to, for good or ill, compromise with the other half of the country who votes Republican, for good or ill. He tacks right in order to get shit DONE with a dysfunctional Congress. But his ideas have always been progressive, from healthcare, to homosexuality, to taxes, to gun control.

And if you're main complaint with Obama is that he's not liberal enough, then frankly you might need to rethink your idea of who Obama is supposed to be president of. Not just us here at DailyKOS, but the whole country, even the dumbasses who vote for the GOP. More importantly, you might want to ask yourself if Stephen Colbert's quote applies to YOU.

by Zek J Evets on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:34:05 AM PST

•  Give 'em heck, Zek! (1+ / 0-)
                GustavMahler

Harry S, move on over. So very well said.

Excuse me, I fucking meant, "So fucking very well fucking said!"

•  Does being insulting make you feel better? (3+ / 0-)

"Kiddo"? Thanks for the infantization. "Reading comprehension"? Thanks for calling me stupid. If you're going to insult me, why should I read anything you have to say?

The reality is that with the increasing insanity of the Republican party today, conservatism has taken over the Democratic party. Now we're being expected to pretend that conservative plans are liberal. They're not. No matter how much the Republicans sit around calling their old proposals socialism or other such nonsense. They're still conservative ideas. Being a Democrat does not make one liberal, no matter how much you buy into Republicans saying it does. Shoring up the health insurance industry with the individual mandate to buy private insurance is a conservative idea. It came from conservatives in the 90s, and just because you like Obama, his having gotten it passed into law doesn't make it any less conservative.  Nothing wrong with admitting that you like conservative ideas, but don't try to make me pretend they're liberal because they totally are not.

•  I'm insulting you because... (1+ / 0-)
                  Quicklund

You're spouting nonsense. I generally show little respect to people spouting nonsense, whether via keyboard or street corner. And, honestly, your comments are pretty indicative of trolling.

But back to the point... the ACA is not a conservative idea or a liberal idea. It's a compromise idea between the two in order to get people to have affordable health coverage. Meanwhile, in reality-land, conservatism has not taken over the Democratic party. Rather, you're upset that they're not able to do as much in the face of Republican obstructionism and, instead of blaming them, you blame the Dems for not being able to violate the Constitution and just pass whatever they please without Congressional majorities or approval by the subcommittees.

Well, I'm sorry, but our government doesn't work like that. Grow-up.

Look at what we've seen during Obama's term, healthcare for millions, the repeal of DADT, the appointment of Sotomayor and Kagan, the POTUS actively defending gay marriage and pushing for equal taxation of the 1%, the stimulus, ending the Iraq war, the death of Osama bin Laden, kicking banks out of providing student loans and letting the fed do that, championed comprehensive immigration reform, and so much more besides.

These are not conservative or liberal ideas, these are just great ideas in general. Yet, notably, they came from Democrats. Not Republicans or conservative, or tea-baggers. They came from liberal, progressive, Democrats.

So, like I said, grow-up, wake-up, pay attention. Use something besides your outrage (like maybe your brain?) and recognize that the reason you see Obama as a conservative is because you're so far left you've forgotten where left IS, let alone where the rest of the country is.

by Zek J Evets on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 01:32:19 PM PST

•  Blah blah blah. (0+ / 0-)

Insult me all you want because every time you do, you lose the argument. At least your belitting others makes you feel better, which you must desperately need to cover up being so totally wrong.

No wonder our country is so fucked up; when even Democrats think decades old Republican ideas are liberal something is seriously wrong with the Democratic party. Too many Democrats have gleefully sucked up the poisonous opinions of Republicans that somehow by default Democrats are liberal and everything that comes out of a Democrat is a liberal idea. But they're not. And no amount of pretending conservative ideas are progressive will actually make them progressive.

•  Aaaaand... (0+ / 0-)

You've officially stopped having a conversation about Obama and the sequester. Now, you're merely talking about how much you hate Democrats because they might as well be Republicans to your skewed perspective of the political world. All because they work within the current political landscape as best they can to advance a progressive agenda that benefits as many Americans as possible, including (but not limited to): people of color, women, LGBTQ communities, unions, the poor, the disabled, the elderly, students, teachers, and am I forgetting anyone else? Oh yeah... you too! Honestly, your comments read like a Republican troll pretending to be liberal.

But I digress, good luck with that sand there, Ostrich.

by Zek J Evets on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 04:24:36 PM PST

•  My Main Complain with Obama is (0+ / 0-)

that he wants to cut my Social Security benefits every month for the rest of my life.

No poll is going to tell you that Americans want him to do that.

I don't care how way awesome wicked cool he is.

I care that he is going to cut my Social Security benefits.

•  I work as a Social Security Advocate (2+ / 0-)
                  GustavMahler, Quicklund

And I can tell you that he doesn't want to cut your benefits. And, in fact, he isn't going to. The chained CPI was a bad idea, I agree, but compared to the far deeper cuts likely to go into effect, it'll seem just peachy in retrospect. It was a compromise in order to avoid cutting your benefits by A LOT more. I don't think Social Security should have been on the table, but I also understand that in a compromise, I'd rather lose a little than everybody lose a lot. The chained CPI cuts far less from beneficiaries (and I mean FAR FAR less) than the current cuts about to be implemented. At this point, most people will be lucky to get 60-70% of their pre-retirement or pre-disabled income in monthly benefits. Not to mention that medicare/medicaid (or medical) programs will not payout as much, or be able to help as much simply due to all the staffing issues. Shoot, SSA is going to furlough nearly all of their offices across the country, so good luck getting any help with them either.

However, I must correct you that Obama is not cutting your SS benefits. The only people doing that at this point are the Republicans who are letting the sequester go through.

by Zek J Evets on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 01:21:07 PM PST

•  I used to work for Social Security. (2+ / 0-)
                    Quicklund, Zek J Evets

I agree this is not cutting benefits, it does reduce the rate of future growth, but is not a cut to current benefits. It would be years before any of this took effect.

A future Dem House could reverse this years before anyone was affected. It appears to me that Obama found the one thing that had the least effect on anyone.Republicans actually want to cut the amount of benefits and raise the retirement age in addition to privatizing.

The only foes that threaten America are the enemies at home, and those are ignorance, superstition, and incompetence. - Elbert Hubbard -9.62/-8.15

by GustavMahler on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 01:56:28 PM PST

•  Thanks for the sanity. (1+ / 0-)
                Quicklund

The Obama bashing crew is in full force today.

So the ACA is a conservative bill that the republicans have voted 33 or 34 times to repeal. I don't get why republicans are trying to repeal a conservative bill???

by GustavMahler on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 12:53:42 PM PST

•  Well you used fucking as an adjective (0+ / 0-)

So you must be right.

Fucking labelism for-fucking-ever! Woot!

•  Maybe, but what I am hoping is (2+ / 0-)
        MyMy, LilithGardener

that Obama will allow the sequester to go into effect and use it to our advantage to free thousands of immigrants, make massive cuts to defense, cancel contracts, free non-violent criminals from the prison populations (because you know those prisons are big donners to the repugs, etc.), and then push to do a straight repeal of the sequester.

That way, costs will decrease, and we will be on our way to a balanced budget without having to get congress to agree to cuts.

crossing my fingers

"Art is a lie that makes you realize the truth." - Picasso

by she the technocrat on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:27:55 AM PST

•  Exactly, vacantlook. (2+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener, vigilant meerkat
        Psychological manipulation is a type of social influence that aims to change the perception or behavior of others through underhanded, deceptive, or even abusive tactics.
        How to Detect Lies; Body Language, Reactions, Speech Patterns.

Brought To You By That Crazed Sociologist/Media Fanatic rebel ga Be The Change You Want To See In The World! Gandhi

by rebel ga on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:22:31 AM PST

•  OK. Let's say the sequester is gone (0+ / 0-)

What is next?

GOP must negotiate with DEM.

White House with Congress.

House with Senate.

IOW, we are right where we are now, except now the Congress side of these equations are under much less pressure.

And we all know how Congress acts when they do not feel pressured. They simply do not act.

No, IMO let us see this fever run its course. This fever will one day break and with it GOP obstructionism will suffer a significant blow.

•  What is next after repeal? Do nothing. (1+ / 0-)
        oh yay another commenter

It is all good.  Without all of these crazy house antics, the economy would be doing even better and we are fine, things are relatively good.  With our growing economy, we would start to get out of the red.  I don't buy this so-called crisis about our deficit.  We have so many assets, so much government owned wealth.  When you weigh our income and assets compared to the deficit, the deficit is nothing.  It is all a right wing manufactured crisis.  There is no real fiscal crisis.  For SS to remain solvent, we are just going to have to remove the cap so that people will have to continue to pay even after they have paid the anual threshold amount.

"Art is a lie that makes you realize the truth." - Picasso

by she the technocrat on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:19:05 AM PST

•  Screw that (2+ / 0-)
          codairem, GustavMahler

The US deficit is causing a drain of wealth from US taxpayers directly to the top 1% of the top 1%.

The last numbers I'v heard are old so i will be very conservative here. Every year the USA takes more than one-half trillion dollars and gives it to the people who hold US debt.

Now who owns US debt? Some of it is owned by millions of tiny investors. But seriously, to whom do you go to build up a debt of over ten trillion dollars? Do you ask poor people for $10T? Or do you ask rich people for $10T?

It is no accident that the top 1% have rocketed up in wealth during the same exact period the US has operated on deficit spending. This is AKA as "Reaganomics", it's been the way the Us has operated for 30 years, the same 30 years most Americans have grown poorer. And no surprise! We are being scammed.

No, Reaganomics has to stop. But it won't, if the American left keeps getting distracted.

•  Fttt! The deficit is a minor problem (1+ / 0-)
            oh yay another commenter

compared to the MAJOR problems we face like inequality, like failure to prosecute fraud, like failure to get the Volcker rule up and running, like the failure to get a BIG enough stimulus to create more tax payers, like the fact that Romney probably paid NO taxes because of our screwy tax codes, like the fact that we STILL have not passed a transaction tax on computer trades that might SLOW that madness down a bit. And that doesn't even cover wars, drones, torture, rendition etc. Which apparently the American public can not even look at because it might get them some reality they don't want to see. "Doctor my EYES!"

Or even the minor (comparatively) woes of voter repression and women's reproductive rights being trampled.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 11:47:14 AM PST

•  Pfft back at ya (0+ / 0-)

The money we spend every year on the debt buys us nothing. It is more wasteful than Pentagon spending. To claim it is something to be ignored because other problems exist too is, well

pfft!