View Diary: Toosdai Critters (140 comments)

•  I always learn such kewl things here.... (8+ / 0-)

I didn't know that the name of the character Alais was pronounced "Alice" until I saw the movie!  How odd is that?

It makes sense, but it was just one of those little (??) details that slid right past me.

I really hope the director is worthy of the title, and gives you the part.

Hugs,
    Marti

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 01:21:26 PM PST

•  In the actual French, it is pronounced (11+ / 0-)

...more like "Alay", but they anglicized it.  Despite being Kings & Queens of England, they were all French first & foremost, but were being portrayed (mostly) by British actors for an English audience.  Not quite as bad as (I forget who's) tweet about Les Miserables' "American actors playing French people with British accents."

GOP Agenda: Repeal 20th Century.

by NormAl1792 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 01:41:14 PM PST

•  rofl (8+ / 0-)
        "American actors playing French people with British accents."

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 02:11:31 PM PST

•  Again, I learn. Had I given it any real thought, (5+ / 0-)

I just might have remembered any of the French I took in school, or have heard in the eons since.  Sadly, thought and I are not on good terms today.

The links between French and English royalty could weave me a new breadbasket!  And yet....they managed to fight at the drop of a gauntlet, at the very least.  Cranky bunch.  Having seen what passed for basic services, I can't say I blame them, but good peasants are hard to find!

Yes, that last part was me being silly.  I do appreciate the clarification, you know that, I hope!  And I remember seeing something like that Tweet about the actors...spot on!

:-)
        Marti

by The Marti on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 02:34:45 PM PST

•  Makes more sense... (1+ / 0-)
        NormAl1792

... than a German girl singing English lyrics with a bad Aussie accent.  That's who won the 2010 Eurovision contest in Oslo.  I about passed out from shock.  She was awful, awful, awful...!  Later I saw on a blog that Germany had a new venue in which to perform and they could host the show better; the country of the winner hosts the show the following year.  The best was a duet of Paula Seling and Ovi from Romania..., sung in English.  Most songs are sung in English, even if they win singing in their native language when they are chosen, as what happens in Iceland; last year the best pre-show video was from Iceland and sung in English, but they didn't perform as well in person.

Also, re: The Lion in Winter.  Watch Becket first for historical context.  Peter O'Toole also played Henry II in that movie, and the events took place before the (fictionalized) events in The Lion in Winter.  The events spoken about in the dialogue are historically accurate, but there was no Xmas court at Chinon in 1178.  The histories and biographies of the Plantagenets is pretty interesting, actually.

Both original full-length movies are currently on YouTube.  I don't know how long they'll stay online before someone comes along and takes them down for copyright violation.  I have the videos and/or DVDs of same, and I've lost track of the number of times I've watched Shakespeare in Love.  I took classes on Shakespeare in college, so I get the "inside jokes" spoken of in the dialogue.  Good stuff!

by NonnyO on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 08:36:54 PM PST

•  1183, actually. (1+ / 0-)
          NonnyO

They reference The Young King (Henry) dying that summer.  I find that particular era of history, and those characters, fascinating, so I have read a great deal on it.  I have seen Becket, as well, and it is an interesting fact that O'Toole was nominated for Best Actor for playing the same character in two different movies (among his record 8 nominations without a win)!

GOP Agenda: Repeal 20th Century.

by NormAl1792 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 06:24:21 AM PST

•  Ooooops!!! Sorry, my bad! (0+ / 0-)

Criminy, I know better, too!  Like you, I've watched the movie so often I know some of the dialogue.  [I can only plead subconscious thoughts about an ancestor and events in his life for 1778, so my fingers goofed into an enormous typo.]  Sorry, and thanks for correcting me.

One of my favorite scenes (and why Katharine Hepburn deserved the Academy Award for her role as Eleanor of Aquitaine):

Besides Plantagenet England, the only subject about which I've read more - much more, actually - is the Tudor period, specifically Queen Elizabeth I..., altho I've read so much of the era over some 30+ years I even accidentally memorized the Tudor genealogy from Wales to the last Tudor monarch.

by NonnyO on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 06:49:46 PM PST