View Diary: IAN: Good Morning, March 3, 2013! (17 comments)

•  C.H.E. shampoo made me sneeze too, so I never (3+ / 0-)
    old wobbly, FloridaSNMOM, chimene

could use it, but it did smell nice on others.  I try to stick to fruit essences in shampoo now, most of the floral scents stuff me up still.  I can do coconut as well.

I open everything I buy first and sniff; I hope they don't start putting "safety packaging" on shampoo!

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. & http://www.dailykos.com/blog/Okiciyap

by weck on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 08:05:50 AM PST

•  I agree with weck (3+ / 0-)
      weck, chimene, Noddy

I can't handle floral shampoos, they make me wheeze. I stick with fruits and some of the lighter herbals usually. Lately though I've been getting salon shampoo because the meds I'm on had my hair literally like straw. I'm also using a spray on leave in conditioner because that shortens shower time, which helps my lungs on bad days. This new shampoo seems to be working, and while it costs $10 a bottle (and so does the conditioner), that lasts me about 7 months, and I was able to get the last set on buy one get the second half off.  It's one of the few splurges I allow myself, and only because it works like nothing in the regular store has so far. I miss the scents though in the other ones I used to get.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 10:36:27 AM PST

•  no-poo hair cleaning is usually vinegar & baking (3+ / 0-)
        FloridaSNMOM, weck, Noddy

soda, but since the vinegar is just for the acid balancing, you can use any acid -- like lemon juice concentrate. which is what I do use, because my darling Mr Allergic, IS allergic to vinegar. you basically get left with no scent!

google no-poo, basically you work in baking-soda water/paste, rinse it out, rinse in the lemon (or vinegar) and rinse it out. Lets me get away with 10-day runs, before the top of my head gets to the point of needing to "de-grease", makes lovely body for the first several days.

YMMV depending on the character and condition of your hair.

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 11:24:05 AM PST

•  That would take up way too much air (3+ / 0-)
          weck, Noddy, chimene

Part of the reason I use the leave in conditioner is to cut out that extra step, which makes me stand in the shower longer. One step is better for me, I know it's not a lot of time but it REALLY makes a difference when it comes to how well I'm breathing.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 11:27:22 AM PST

•  time & no-poo (0+ / 0-)

actually, I find running two batches of mostly-water through my hair takes a lot less time than rinsing regular shampoo & conditioner out thoroughly, FWIW

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 08:16:22 PM PST

•  I don't use conditioner in the shower (0+ / 0-)

I use a leave on condition after, which eliminates that step and that time :). I just put the shampoo in, wash my body and rinse off. Otherwise I end up on the neb after the shower, and laying down for a while after to regather spoons. Even that quick of a shower feels like I've run a marathon.

by FloridaSNMOM on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 06:50:37 AM PST