View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Brooklyn the place vs. "Brooklyn" the concept (43 comments)

•  Staten Island used to have woods? (1+ / 0-)
    LordMike

What a shame, those cheap developments that replaced it are a part of the reason Staten Island is criticized by people from NJ and the rest of NYC.

"...and as I learned higher joys, so I learned neither to harm, nor to wish harm upon others." -Nietzche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 06:59:49 AM PST

•  I grew up watching that happen (3+ / 0-)
      LordMike, KingofSpades, JBraden

It caused me daily sadness, even as child. We ended up moving into a terribly ugly development and I think that experience greatly shaped my perceptions of what living in a city should be. The way SI was developed is a crime, a great missed opportunity.

•  Was Staten Island nicer back then as well? (0+ / 0-)

These days, it's known for having a bad smell.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 09:04:34 AM PST

•  I wouldn't know that well. (1+ / 0-)
          R30A

The only part of SI I've been in (while outside of a car) is near the ferry, where the smell can be attributed to the water.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 09:06:31 AM PST

•  Smell was (1+ / 0-)
            KingofSpades

attributable to the Fresh Kills landfill on the west shore. Yes, an Orwellian name. The city closed it about 10 years ago and in another couple of decades they plan to have more houses and parks on top of it.

Republicans...think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 10:12:28 AM PST

•  My mom (3+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, bumiputera, nimh

grew up in Bay Ridge (born in 1946). Before the bridge opened in 1964, Staten Island's where they used to take the boat for a day in the country. Back then it WAS mostly country. Once you got past the urban areas near St. George, it had woods and farms and meadows.

Staten Island's great misfortune was to be "developed" at a time in history when architecture trends were toward complete crap.

by fenway49 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 10:10:56 AM PST

•  Wow, had no idea. (0+ / 0-)

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 10:12:11 AM PST

•  Yep (0+ / 0-)

If you ever drive around there, you'll see that in many neighborhoods (especially south of the SIE) the buildings are mostly new. Strip malls, tract houses. Not much that looks like old brick-and-wrought-iron Brooklyn.

by fenway49 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 10:19:49 AM PST