View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/6 (292 comments)

•  wouldn't Baldacci's unpopularity as governor (7+ / 0-)

have hurt his standing back home?

by James Allen on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 11:58:04 AM PST

•  I was thinking that too. (4+ / 0-)

However, it's possible he is more unpopular in the 1st than his old 2nd district.  But this is a part of Maine where we have other good, lesser known candidates.  And when well known equals unpopular, lesser known is better.  So I think we want a State Senator, not Baldacci.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
      politicohen.com
      Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
      UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:19:34 PM PST

•  I think we would not fear it (0+ / 0-)

In the gubernatorial polls J Baldacci was competitive. He would not have for ME-02 no-one candidate as strong as P LePage.

I like the idea of J Baldacci running. In his time he was not the most progressive but also he was not a Blue Dog. It would be enoug good for me from this seat.

•  a Republican candidate in ME-02 would (0+ / 0-)

almost certainly be more popular than LePage, unless it was another nut.  In an open race a state legislator would probably run.

by James Allen on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 01:33:20 PM PST

•  The polls for the entire state give not this image (0+ / 0-)

In the las poll we have:

M Michaud 57% C Summers 32%
            M Michaud 57% P LePage 36%

The numbers of P LePage are poor, but the numbers of C Summers are worse. Looking at the numbers of the poll, I see not an unknown generic R defeating P Baldacci for the seat.

And also other Democrats can run and defeat P Baldacci in the primary.

•  Summers is not as well known (2+ / 0-)
              Skaje, jncca

that poll tells me nothing.

by James Allen on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 02:08:04 PM PST

•  after running a senate race the last year? (0+ / 0-)

If he is not, who can be...

•  the governor (2+ / 0-)
                  JBraden, DCCyclone

is definitely bigger than a senate candidate in that case.  LePage is in the news every day.

by James Allen on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 03:39:17 PM PST

•  I was talking about someone else (0+ / 0-)

The governor is better known, and the numbers of my previous post reflect it. I think he would be over an unknown republican candidate in ME-02. Also we have the reference of the last challenger for Michaud, who was surely the highest profile Republican potential challenger. My comment was by this way.

I think that J Baldacci would be competitive vs every Republican from ME-02 looking at the numbers of the last poll from the entire state (vs P LePage).

•  Perhaps a reverse of the norm (2+ / 0-)
      gabjoh, MichaelNY

where voters are willing to have Dems locally (like KY) but don't want to send them to DC.  Here we may have a person people don't want as an executive at home, but have no problems shipping him off to the national congress.

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:41:00 PM PST

•  In January PPP found him at 40/46 statewide (3+ / 0-)
      James Allen, jncca, MichaelNY

I'd imagine that he's probably break even or better in the 2nd district given that was his base and he did better there than the 1st in his gubernatorial elections. We could do a lot worse here with those numbers, but I would still rather have someone new who might have statewide potential or the chance to become more popular at least.