View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/7 (312 comments)

•  Well, had Democrats (2+ / 0-)
    SaoMagnifico, MichaelNY

spent money to inform voters of this, he probably would have lost.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 05:46:18 PM PST

•  MI-11, NE-02, CO-06, NY-11, and NY-23... (3+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, JBraden, HoosierD42

Have to be the top five most pitiful DCCC general-election efforts last year. Honorable mention for IN-02.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:05:21 PM PST

•  Eh (3+ / 0-)
        Stephen Wolf, MichaelNY, JBraden

I'm not gonna point fingers on CO-6, where candidate quality absolutely was what gave us a loss.

The rest of those are total screw ups by the DCCC, and trust me I've discussed it with their south desk person (a friend) on multiple occasions.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:18:02 PM PST

•  CO-06 was eminently winnable... (1+ / 0-)
          JBraden

But the DCCC got distracted by the pretty butterfly that was CO-03, where Sal Pace didn't even come close, before it had CO-06 in the bag. It was just bad target prioritization. No, Miklosi wasn't a great candidate, but he probably would have won if the DCCC had focused its Colorado efforts on him instead of splitting their attention.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:20:27 PM PST

•  Okay a few points here in response (3+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, wwmiv, bumiputera

First, the 6th district was only a single point more Democratic than the 3rd under the 2010 average. Then you had Coffman's large warchest to start the cycle, Tipton's lack thereof, Coffman's multiple terms in the house already to Tipton's win that was viewed as a fluke. Additionally, Pace seemed like a much more credible candidate than Miklosi, so with that all in mind you can see why the DCCC was also focused on flipping the 3rd. I'm not saying that the 6th wasn't absolutely winnable because it was, but those are just a few things to take into consideration.

•  Rep. Coffman was also a loud crazy... (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

Whose new district included some much bluer areas that he had never represented before. And really, shouldn't internal polling have shown Miklosi was very close and Pace was behind by double digits?

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:21:32 PM PST

•  Not necessarily (0+ / 0-)

Internal polling will always have a few people that win behind (hint, hint...) and a few people that lose either tied or ahead.

There are judgment calls that need to be made about what districts are the best opportunities, and I actually agree with the DCCC decision to go with Pace toward the end especially if it was a fluid race (whereas Miklosi was probably always mired slightly behind and never budged).

by wwmiv on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:26:02 PM PST

•  The results didn't indicate that (1+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY

The two leftist candidates took about 52% of the vote against the abrasive Coffman, whose district had substantially better Presidential numbers for Obama than did the 3rd, which was clearly trending away from Democrats.

by ArkDem14 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:21:12 PM PST

•  Amen on IN-02 (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Some of the dollars they wasted on Bucshon could have easily gotten us the 2nd.

25, Practical Progressive Democrat (-9.38, -8.51), DKE Gay Caucus Majority Leader, IN-02; Swingnut. Defeat Wacky Jackie for 2014!

by HoosierD42 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:55:17 PM PST