View Diary: What Backyard Critters Do You Have?: Street Prophets (60 comments)

•  I have a neighbor that (10+ / 0-)

swears the squirrels throw things at him.

You are awfully brave to tangle with racoons. They can be vicious.

"the Devil made me buy this dress!" Flip Wilson as Geraldine Jones

by BlueJessamine on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:38:18 PM PST

•  the squirreels do throw things at people (9+ / 0-)

I have Bradford Pear trees and in the summer they get those
      seed pods and Oak trees with acorns.  I'll be sitting on the
      deck and they start throwing them at me, no kidding.  The
      area around me will be full of nuts and everywhere else it
      will be clean.  They hit me in the head about half the time.
      That was when I started popping them out of the trees.
      They did stop throwing them at me so much when I did that.

I don't tangle with the racoons much... I cook for the
      homeless and one weekend I put out a pot to cool off so I
      could put it in the fridge.  Had a funny feeling so I looked
      out and there was the big guy racoon lifting the lid. I
      screamed while I was opening the door, he dropped the lid
      and took off.  To be safe I had to recook everything.  The pit
      bull keeps them at bay most of the time.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." *Ansel Adams* ."Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."*Will Rogers*

by Statusquomustgo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:46:00 PM PST

•  We better not tell (7+ / 0-)

Homeland Security! They may use drones on our squirrels.

I understand that racoons wash most everything before they eat it.

When my sons were just toddlers they left some oreo cookies outside. Next morning, raccons were scurrying about eating them.

Kudos to you for cooking for the homeless!

"the Devil made me buy this dress!" Flip Wilson as Geraldine Jones

by BlueJessamine on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:53:04 PM PST

•  lol... the squirrels ARE homeland security....lol (7+ / 0-)

they do wash everything before they eat it... they wash it
          in my water collection barrels I use to water the garden
          with as well as the creek that runs behind my house.

Providing people with a meal once a month makes me feel
          like I'm doing something to help.  I fed about 60 people.
          Now I cook for the AIDS group once a month it's a smaller
          group of people and I don't cry like I did when I fed the
          homeless... that just killed me.

by Statusquomustgo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 01:03:15 PM PST

•  LOL I hadn't thought of that! (5+ / 0-)

B*stards!

There is a homeless man a little older that my sons in town. I have tried to converse wth him. He is very paranoid though.

Time before last that I saw him was as I came out of a local store that I had only been in for a minute. He was standing in front of my truck. Appeared high. The police had him surrounded. I wondered if he was fleeing from them and running to me/my truck for help as I was oblivious coming and going from the store. There wasn't anything I could do that day.

Three days later, he was back hanging out at a local cafe.

"the Devil made me buy this dress!" Flip Wilson as Geraldine Jones

by BlueJessamine on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 01:15:30 PM PST

•  most of the homeless in our area are (6+ / 0-)

vets, the mentally ill and foster kids kicked out the minute
              they turn 18.  There are also fathers of families who
              can't stay in the same shelters as their wife and children are
              in.  It truly is sad.  We would cook and trucks would take
              the food to where the people camped.  I was not allowed
              to go out with the trucks since I'm such a blubbering fool...lol

by Statusquomustgo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 01:30:45 PM PST