View Diary: Stop it, stop saying Social Security needs reform, you are a Democrat, right? (333 comments)

•  People like me are fighting for you (9+ / 0-)

fighting for a larger COLA, increase benefits by 5k. No income tax paid on FICA.

...... Social Security blogathon March 25th thru March 29th. #HandsOffmySS FDR 9-23-33, "If we cannot do this one way, we will do it another way. But do it we will.

by Roger Fox on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 03:47:38 PM PST

•  That is an excellent plan. (5+ / 0-)

Benefits need to be raised by at least 5K and we need larger COLAs.  My God we went without any COLAs for two years and then we got like $17.00 extra dollars a check when we did get a raise.  Which did nothing.  How far does $17.00 dollars go at the gas station or toward food or an eye exam and glasses that is hundreds of dollars, not to mention the dentist.

Our government needs to end it's corruption and destruction of its own people.  Because at this point our government is more of a danger to us because they have lost their control over corporations, banks, and a balanced ecomony.  And they think they can blame us for their inability to govern.  They are not here or paid to control the poor, elderly and sick by stealing from them and giving more to the corporations and banks.  It is all wrong.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 06:41:07 PM PST

•  Establish a min SS benefit (4+ / 0-)
        Clem Yeobright, worldlotus, zaka1, indie17

My worst case scenario is to raise the cap to the 90th percentile of income, currently the cap is at 84%. This would raise the max benefit by about 5-6k, from about 31k to 36k.

Removing the cap opens up a can of worms, details of which I've already posted a few times here tonight.

by Roger Fox on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 07:14:55 PM PST

•  A 5 or 6k (2+ / 0-)

raise in social security would only bring it up to about $20,000.00 a year.  Where are you getting the 31K to 36K?  Most of us are getting $1,250.00 a month if we are lucky and that is about $14,000.00 a year, and if your lucky a little bit more.  But, I don't know anyone bringing in over $16,000.00 from Social Security.

Did you know that social security is that low and for most women (and men as well) whom have been cheated out of decent pay and retirement this is all they will have to live on and are living on.  Too many people are facing real difficult lives and some that have been laid off since 2008 and not rehired due to age are going to face even worse conditions without any kind of retirement.

Seriously there are a lot of Americans in serious trouble and all being ignored by Washington.

by zaka1 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 08:45:06 PM PST

•  max benefit is almost 31k (2+ / 0-)
            Clem Yeobright, zaka1

The average is about $1229 a month, about 14.7k

My step dad gets 28k a year.

Anyway, raising the cap higher (90%?) could raise the typical benefit about $2,500. This years COLA was IIRC 3.6%?

by Roger Fox on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 10:02:46 AM PST

•  I'm 62 yrs old on SSI, I get $710.00 a month (2+ / 0-)
              Roger Fox, zaka1

Yesterday when I went to the Food Bank I had a car full of people and only one of them has an address even tho all are on either SSI or SSDI (2 of them told me they get more than I do).

I'm also on Food Stamps (debit card) as were two of the people riding with me and like me if they don't hit the food bank  a few times what they get doesn't make it thru the month (I get $138.00 a month btw).

I guess if my income was 400k per year I would be worthy of attention by this administration, but not so because draconian cuts are being used to attack people like me, the people in the car and the people in the line at the food bank.

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:49:50 PM PST

•  Sigh, SS benefits need to be increased (3+ / 0-)
                zaka1, aliasalias, Clem Yeobright

We can do that, and maintain solvency. Its the right thing to do.

Thanks for your comment, its a heart wrenching truth.

by Roger Fox on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:56:44 PM PST

•  Again, (2+ / 0-)
              aliasalias, Roger Fox

I think this is the result of men making more money than woman.  And there is still a problem with many single/divorced women who will only get a small amount of social security to support themselves

by zaka1 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 01:09:33 PM PST