View Diary: Postcards from the Bottom One Percent (50 comments)

•  Absolute BS (6+ / 0-)

I am not a liberal because I don't equate my self-worth with what I do to make money or the 'position' I hold!?

In evaluating the job I do and what I would reflect it to be worth - I think $25/hour would be reasonable -but that isn't what I make as a dishwasher - but because I do this job for less than half of that - I am not a liberal!?

What the fuck are You talking about!?

As for it dissuading me from aspiring to greatness? - what an absolute load of horseshit that is as well - that is the kind of shit that I expect to hear from my teenage step-daughters - having the attitude of being privileged and entitled does not make one a liberal - in fact I dare say exactly the opposite ...

"I want to keep them alive long enough that I can win them to Christ," - Rick Warren, Professional Greed Driven Scumbag

by josephk on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 09:24:43 AM PST

•  That's not my attitude. (4+ / 0-)

I'm not after status. I'm busting my ass day and night to find an entry level job I can actually do without having to worry about being fired because my physical disabilities prevent me from doing the job properly.

There comes a point in time where 'Just take what you can get and shut the fuck up' doesn't work anymore. I made that choice 6 years ago and I'm not going back just to make a pseudo-liberal like you just a little more comfortable.

I write a series called 'My Life as an Aspie', documenting my experiences before and after my A.S. diagnosis as a way to help fellow Aspies and parents of Aspies and spread awareness. If I help just one person by doing this, then I've served a purpose.

by Homer177 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 09:36:24 AM PST

•  STFU? (5+ / 0-)
        'Just take what you can get and shut the fuck up'
        I am pretty sure that isn't at all what I said - and if I implied that, it certainly wasn't my intention

Personally - I think that is a horrible idea and thing for someone to say to another person

Would I work at walmart - fuck no

Would I work at mcdonalds - fuck no

Not because the work itself would suck worse that any other job I may have done in my life - I would just have an incredibly difficult time personally trying square the circle of working at places like walmart with who I am ...

but neither does that mean that every 'low status' poor paying job should be out of the question either because it is 'beneath me' IN MY OPINION - you are welcome to a different perspective for yourself

I have done lots of jobs in my life - some paid decently, some didn't - some sucked, some were great - some were just 'putting in time' between other things in my life

I am sorry that I may have implied less than stellar 'liberal credentials' on You - that was wrong of me ... but for either You or Horace to imply that because I choose to work as a dishwasher making shit wages - is somehow how illiberal on my part - is just abso-fucking-lutely bull shit

What I do and how much I make in a job has nothing to with who I am - Personally - to imply otherwise is just condescending - and THAT is illiberal ...

by josephk on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:05:41 AM PST

•  We're all liberal... (6+ / 0-)

if we support better working conditions and the availability of good jobs for everyone regardless of our deficiencies. I'm  a liberal because I believe everyone deserves a good job. I'm a realist knowing that's not going to happen today or any time soon, so we all do the best we can with what we got. We're all in this together, no matter our circumstances or abilities. Whatever it takes to make it to better days.

"Know that it is easier to get into something than it is to get out of it." - Donald Rumsfeld

by teej on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:25:02 AM PST

•  Either way, what Horace said about wages applies. (2+ / 0-)
          Horace Boothroyd III, NoMoreLies

I have also worked various jobs and have faced a lot of workplace abuses no thanks to the issues I do my best to cope with on a daily basis, especially the fact that I don't do well on my feet.

That entitlement attitude you talk about is everywhere. In fact, employers are worse about it than anyone else.

I can learn skills at the drop of a hat, and I've spent the last three years in particular proving it.

I still volunteer where I was once paid, and believe me, I bust my ass.

I'm sorry if I come off as condescending or even angry, but I'm not willing to take abuse anymore. I spent most of my life abused in one form or another and I don't trust easily because of it.

by Homer177 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:27:13 AM PST

•  Huzzah! (4+ / 0-)
        Homer177, Renee, NoMoreLies, peptabysmal

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:31:55 AM PST

•  Telling us to try harder when the game is so (2+ / 0-)
      shypuffadder, brook

obviously being cheated is not helping.

There just is no other way to put it.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:34:20 AM PST

•  What? (1+ / 0-)
        Lefty Ladig

Please tell me how You have taken my comments and reduced them to me "telling us to try harder"

by josephk on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 11:33:00 AM PST

•  Not all jobs are equal (0+ / 0-)
          Work was work.
          And not earning enough to cover the cost of transportation or other expenses is reality with far too many desperate employees.

That is what I perceive to be telling us to try harder.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 05:44:36 PM PST

•  That wasn't my comment (0+ / 0-)

that was webranding

and to be clear, in my original comment in this thread:

Let me be clear - this economy sucks big time, and I am in no way trying to imply that You just 'suck it up'

by josephk on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 08:13:07 PM PST

•  It's tough on all of us (0+ / 0-)

Although we are all suffering through the same economic mess, we suffer in different ways, and we approach the challenge in different ways as well. No job is the same and we all have our own personal challenges and deficiencies that affect our choice of work. We all choose the best we can. There is no right or wrong way to go about survival. Only getting through this and on to better days is what matters. If we all do our part - however and wherever that may be - we'll get through this with respect and dignity.

by teej on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:13:56 AM PST

• Spam (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Education (20)
  • GOP (20)
  • Civil Rights (19)
  • Economy (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (17)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site