View Diary: Remedial Civics Lesson for the Cheap Seats: Sequestration is the Fault of Republicans. (58 comments)

•  You know, a perfectly good counter argument (8+ / 0-)

can be made in response to the diary you're responding to, and indeed there are nuggets of such an argument contained within this diary.  But insults and "fuck yous" in this diary obfuscate such arguments, which is a pity.

“Th’ noise ye hear is not th’ first gun iv a revolution. It’s on’y th’ people iv the United States batin’ a carpet.” - Mr. Dooley

by puakev on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:05:22 PM PST

•  Civility is for disagreements. (5+ / 0-)

But outright dishonesty I reject with contempt.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:11:28 PM PST

•  I hear you, however (2+ / 0-)
        Troubadour, Nada Lemming

you're making the same mistake that many on the Obamasux crowd make, including the diarist you're responding to, which is to distract from the substance of your arguments with hyperbole.  Even if you genuinely feel that the diary you respond to was dishonest, the most effective and devastating response is almost always a measured one.

Because I think when most people see opposing arguments, and they see one is characterized by vitriol, insults, and bombast, and the other is characterized by reasoned and careful argument, the immediate takeaway will be that the first argument was full of smart-ass remarks, shit-talking, and hysteria while the substance is an afterthought, but they will actually remember the substance of the more measured argument.

by puakev on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:25:58 PM PST

•  We don't need remediating, Troubadour (4+ / 0-)

Contempt isn't going to persuade anyone, it's just fuel on the flamewar. Unless that's the goal...

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:26:05 PM PST

•  That's not entirely true. (2+ / 0-)
          Deep Texan, SilentBrook

Do you offer sober and civil critiques of every batshit Republican claim that you respond to, or do some of them need to be mocked in order to be placed in proper context?  That diary is a steaming Rovean turd-in-the-punchbowl, and I won't elevate it to legitimacy by acting as though it's part of a reasonable discussion.

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:32:30 PM PST

•  And Obama has absolutely zero (3+ / 0-)

culpability? That would only be the case if he vetoed the sequester bill. But he signed it. So for that reason, among several others, there is a legitimate argument the other way.

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 12:57:25 PM PST

•  What was the alternative to signing it? (2+ / 0-)
              SilentBrook, Clem Yeobright

He's blamed for Republicans going over the sequester cliff, so how likely is it he wouldn't have been blamed for Republicans acting on their threat to default US debt?

Ask me if I'm afraid. I say, "Of course not. I'm a fool, and fools never die."

by Troubadour on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 01:36:24 PM PST

•  The US can't default. (2+ / 0-)
                Words In Action, Troubadour

Shutdown, yes, but not default.

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 01:59:44 PM PST

•  From your own source (0+ / 0-)
                  These measures are limited and therefore can postpone only briefly the need for an increase in the statutory debt limit.
                  If I'd written that bit of fluff, I would be very anxious to see that it was hidden away and not come back to embarrass me, yet you cite it. Go figure.

Too late for the simple life, too early for android love slaves - Savio

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 02:30:17 PM PST