View Diary: GUS: Take a Happiness Break (116 comments)

•  Hey there RoCali (6+ / 0-)

StateOf Grace already fielded this one, but I will add my welcome. If you fit any of those categories (already quit, want to quit, trying to quit, or just supportive), we'd be happy to add your name as well!

"When did it fall apart? Sometime in the '80s / When the great and the good gave way to the greedy and the mean." - Billy Bragg

by Vacationland on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 07:37:08 PM PST

•  Thanks! Trying to quit (3+ / 0-)
      anodnhajo, flumptytail, Vacationland

and... miserable beyond belief.

You are my brother, my sister.

by RoCali on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:15:18 PM PST

•  Join us, we can help (3+ / 0-)
        RoCali, flumptytail, Vacationland

The GUS series provides a wealth of info from some great people on successful quitting strategies and lessons learned about not so successful quitting experiences.

Click on and / or follow the tag to read past diaries and have new ones appear in your stream. Visit the library link in the mission statement.

Deciding to stop smoking is a huge deal. And I've found that every bit of support, shared knowledge and understanding regarding the complicated issue of nicotine addiction is helpful. That premise works for other behavioral changes as well.

We're a totally non judgmental group.

We have fun too.

"just one more mile to go"

by anodnhajo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:01:55 PM PST

•  Thank you, I will do that. (3+ / 0-)
          anodnhajo, flumptytail, Vacationland

It's been three days and I'm so tense, it's unreal.  I can use all the tips I can get.  I've smoked almost 40 years.  I'm grateful for the assistance!

You are my brother, my sister.

by RoCali on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:10:14 PM PST

•  The fist three days are the worst (3+ / 0-)
            RoCali, anodnhajo, flumptytail

And being tense is perfectly normal. As anodnhajo said, there are lots of good materials in the GUS library. A lot of my GUS diaries deal with behavior modification as it applies to smoking; there are tons of them (200+) and at least half are specific to quitting. Just search my diary list for topics you might be struggling with.

Also? Give yourself permission to be tense and feel off-kilter for a while. Your brain is rewiring itself, your body chemistry is changing, you don't have your go-to stress-relief mechanism, and everything just feels wrong. Of course you're tense!! The good news is that it does get better, and fairly soon. :-)

by Vacationland on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 04:58:33 AM PST

•  LOL, sorry, make that "FIRST" three days. :-) (3+ / 0-)
            RoCali, anodnhajo, flumptytail