View Diary: Drones, Drones, Drones, Drones (40 comments)

•  I find it fascinating (7+ / 0-)

that there is so much "You must hate Obama because..." going on over this issue. I wager that if a Republican was in office this site would be virtually united in its opposition to both the use of drones and the assignation program. But precisely because a Democrat is in office everything is A-OK. War? Cool. Killing Americans without trial? Cool. The military industrial complex providing more efficient ways of killing people? Totally cool.

Strange, but I remember protests against this type of crap only a few years ago....but hey as long as our guy is doing it its all cool.

"The next time everyone will pay for it equally, and there won't be any more Chosen Nations, or any Others. Poor bastards all." ~The Boomer Bible

by just another vet on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:17:34 AM PST

•  Your missing my point (5+ / 0-)

Rand Paul is protesting the use of drones.  Does anyone think he would actually have trouble killing Americans?  But so many people are freaking out over the use of the word drone, imbuing the word with some mystical power.

I want to have the discussion over the use of military power.  As a former sailor, I think our military is too big, and it's time to end the war on terror.  But we can't have this discussion if people duck and cover when someone say "drone".  They are not the Nazgul.

"But the problem with any ideology is that it gives the answer before you look at the evidence." - President Clinton

by anonevent on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:21:29 AM PST

•  I am in complete (0+ / 0-)

agreement: "I want to have the discussion over the use of military power.  As a former sailor, I think our military is too big, and it's time to end the war on terror."

If talking about drones is what leads us to that bigger conversation then I say run with it. My gripe is how the left seems so divided on this. I give two shits what Rand Paul says or does. Been protesting all of this since I got out of the service. My point is that the left hated war and its toys right up until 2008. (Well, to be honest a lot of lefties supported going into Iraq until it was cool not to.)

by just another vet on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:40:55 AM PST

•  I blame "The Terminator" (0+ / 0-)

and Robocop, etc. OK, not really but there is something in the human psyche that reacts to robotic technology this way... there have been similar stories since the beginning of the technological age, about "runaway robots" that take over because we have made them too powerful to control. Advanced weaponry that is unmanned/robotic seems to incite a special kind of fear.

I too have noticed that there is a huge amount of focus on the word 'drone' -- the type of weapon being used -- rather than what is actually happening. I do not understand why it's so much worse for a family of civilians to be killed by a bomb dropped from a drone aircraft than by a bomb dropped from a manned aircraft. Drones make it easier to bomb people? Yes, they do. So do planes. So do spy satellites. So do computers and targeting technology. Bombs themselves made it easier to kill than guns, which were an advance from arrows and swords. The technology of war will continue to advance, until our civilization collapses. So has it ever been and ever will be.

This whole freakout that "the government is going to kill us with drones!" seems very strange to me, I don't understand it. For decades already we have had a runaway DEA, with their habit of breaking into people's homes at all hours, taking hostages, shooting the dogs and sometimes the people in these homes, only to say later, "oh sorry we meant to break in next door" and nothing happens to them. They can take your life and your property with no due process.

The issue is indeed the scope of what the government can do and on what grounds. What particular type of weaponry and technology they are wielding is secondary if relevant at all.

•  Again (0+ / 0-)

if this is what gets us talking about the bigger picture I say let's start with drones and work our way up.

by just another vet on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:28:45 AM PST

•  You'd lose that wager. nt (1+ / 0-)
      Adam AZ

"Mitt Romney looks like the CEO who fires you, then goes to the Country Club and laughs about it with his friends." ~ Thomas Roberts MSNBC

by second gen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:40:48 AM PST

•  I think you (0+ / 0-)

may be right. Lots of Democrats supported going into Iraq. Those of us that were against it were a minority.

by just another vet on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:29:37 AM PST