Skip to main content

View Diary: Paul Ryan must be planning the mother of all magic asterisks (73 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Exactly. there is no "cap" for Medicare (0+ / 0-)

    on the first $200,000/$250,000 the employer and employee each pay 1.45%, for a total of 2.9%.  Above that level, you add an additional .9% paid only by the employee so that above that level, the employee pays   2.35% and the employer pays 1.45% for a total of 3.8%.  That's on earned income.  Starting in 2013, there is also a 3.8% Medicare surtax on investment income.  So, below $200,000/$250,000 the Medicare tax is 2.9% on earned income, 3.8% on investment income.  Above that level, it's 3.8% on earned income and 3.8% on investment income.  

    •  OK, M. Coffee, I've read the Report* and Krugman. (0+ / 0-)

      ... and I'm looking for what you suggest, after cautioning that revenue-raising won't be enough.

      (* Truth be told, I read only the conclusions section of the report. Essentially: we must do many Big Things as soon as possible. Relying on Obamacare and better administration of health care, although good and important, are not likely to produce enough savings. I got the gist.)

      So ...

      My wife and I are 72 and in surprisingly good health (considering a life, for me, of too many calories). I don't like the notion of death panels, but we have Health Care Powers of Attorney and we have talked pointedly with our family members about end of life issues.

      What government policy(ies) and business practices do you advise me to support to address the issues facing us in Medicare and our health system?

      2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

      by TRPChicago on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:56:11 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (157)
  • Community (65)
  • Baltimore (41)
  • Civil Rights (39)
  • Bernie Sanders (33)
  • Culture (32)
  • Elections (30)
  • Economy (30)
  • Law (26)
  • Texas (24)
  • Labor (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • 2016 (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Freddie Gray (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site