View Diary: AFL-CIO's Trumka calls for new strategies: 'Our basic system of workplace representation is failing' (68 comments)

•  Laura, DailyKos should be Union Made (4+ / 0-)

How can DailyKos, a fiercely pro-Union website not have its workers represented by a union?

What if you and other pro-union workers get a union to represent the workers of Kos Media LLC?

I look forward to the day when the Top of DailyKos web pages say "Proudly Union Made."

The most important way to protect the environment is not to have more than one child.

by nextstep on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 01:24:16 PM PST

•  Only one problem, what does Kos do? (1+ / 0-)
      Renee

If you read my comment below, an Everyone Union could bring management and laborers together if the management was progressive enough and wanted to help the working class.  Management do work for a living, but big companies treat their management very differently from "regular workers".  That is not fair.  Workers need to have some ability to hold government accountable without having to belong to a negotiating union like the AFL-CIO.  I'd like to see the AFL-CIO have an Everyone Union branch that let everyone join at a reasonable cost with the idea of building the strongest lobbying team in the country to hold politicians to account.  Corporations have their lobbying organizations, unions are lobbying organizations, the Boy Scouts are a lobbying organization (not doing too well) probably even the PTA has its own lobbying organization, but I can't belong to any of them.  We shouldn't try to separate the Us and Them here, it should all be Us and maybe the Them is the stupid politicians that take corporate money to do their bidding.  I'd like to see a organization that would fight for reinstatement of bribery laws as is stated in the constitution.  Politicians won't do it by themselves and they write the laws to make themselves exempt.  That needs to stop.  Corporate money is ruining this country and we need to fight back.  The only requirement for this union is you must be a person.  "Corporations are NOT people, my friends"  That should be the only limit.  No corporate sponsorships, non-profit, social media centric, get ready, get set, GO!

"War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength", George Orwell, "1984" -7.63 -5.95

by dangoch on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 01:42:32 PM PST

•  Role of political parties (0+ / 0-)

Your comment says:

People can join political parties and support individual campaigns.  How is you vision of an Everyman Union different than a political party?

by nextstep on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 02:58:26 PM PST

•  I'm not the commenter, but it seems to me that (0+ / 0-)

several of these comments, including one I made are fumbling towards putting together a larger coalition of working people which has the potential to become a party which is beholden to the people who formed it instead of the influence buying mess both of the current major parties have become.

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 03:41:10 PM PST

•  I'm not interested in a third party (1+ / 0-)
            Renee

The politicians have done everything to prevent any significant ability for more than 2 parties.  What I would like to see is a strong workers group or union that is focused on forcing all politicians to pay more attention to workers rather than corporations or at least pay equal attention.  I think that is the only way the people are going to be able to wrestle control of this country from the plutocrats from both parties.  We really only have one party, the corporate party.  The Dems talk a better story about helping the 99% but they still hold the hand out to the 1%.  The rethugs are a little more pour, they only care about the 1% and have talking points that says they are for the 99%.  But Rmoney's hidden camera recording to the 1% was very telling what people in his class think.  The dependant 47% want only to receive government assistance.  That is so much BS but the rethugs sure make it clear they don't want to help the middle class.

My goal is to see an organization (one already in esistance would be nice) that can organize a campaign to get workers of any class but mostly the middle class with the sole purpose to stand up to politicians for the workers of America.  There are many organizations that say they are for workers, most negotiating unions say that, but I can't join because I don't work in anything that resembles a union position.  I'm an unaffiliated worker like millions of other workers that have no voice.  Our politicians say they listen, but it is mostly talking points.  We need a focus on the middle class.  If the organization can assist workers in a beneficial way like health insurance or whatever, all the better.  I'm all for that.  But we need to get a group that can have the power of the NRA, Freedom Works or Norquist that isn't beholding to corporate sponsors.  Workers, occupiers, can grow this union with the goal of holding politicians accountable.  I have no desire to lead this organization but I'd sure join this organization in a flash.  We need to get our country back, but not the way the Tea party folks say they want it back.  We need to get the country focused on people not corporations.  We need a 99% group, not all the 1% groups that say they are for the 99%.  That is a talking point not a conviction.

by dangoch on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 08:24:50 AM PST

•  Yeah. (0+ / 0-)

I wasn't saying we should do that to build a third party. I could see one arising from that work which I think needs to be done. The way you are describing it sounds right to me. I just think as workers realize we have power it would get bigger than a lobby group.

I don't care either way, as long as the power shifts to the workers.

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 10:10:58 AM PST

•  Managers and supervisors (0+ / 0-)

are not protected by the NLRA, and cannot join unions. The bosses lobbied hard for that provision, because without it, the interests of low level supervisors coincide with those of the workers, rather than those of the company.

The current state of labor law in the US effectively requires unions to operate with one hand tied behind their backs.

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 07:20:30 AM PDT