View Diary: Abbreviated pundit roundup: Bill Clinton pens powerful op-ed against DOMA (141 comments)

•  We don't remember Easter Island's shift (1+ / 0-)
    Penny GC

from paradise to desert.  We don't pay attention to Texas after the dustbowl left us with an inch of powdered limestone as topsoil.  Humans are destroyers, we're likely to go extinct as a result.  The planet will adapt and recover, no one will write our history.  Our only hope is a rapid spiritual evolution that convinces enough of us that we're connected to everything and all life is sacred.

by I love OCD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 05:55:07 AM PST

•  "spiritual" (0+ / 0-)

Not to be nasty, but spiritual has usually led to worse crap happening.  We need more logical than spiritual--we need a benevolent despot--and we need him/her now.  People seem to be naturally selfish and shortsighted-- great for self preservation for a cave man--destructive for a civilized society.

Apres Bush, le deluge.

by melvynny on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 06:10:46 AM PST

•  Religion is the enemy of the spiritual. (0+ / 0-)

It codifies and then bastardizes essential truths.  We are all connected to everything else in this Universe, our cells have star matter.  If we learned that and lived it we'd be an asset, not a planetary liability.

by I love OCD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 06:54:33 AM PST

•  spirituality (0+ / 0-)

Usually, spirituality has a blind faith aspect, which is anti-science by definition.  I don't care if I share star matter with bacteria on Mars--or cells from Hitler--I can think-- therefore I can choose to be good to my fellow man--and to our planet.  How we got here is less important than what we do while here.

Apres Bush, le deluge.

by melvynny on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 06:59:11 AM PST

•  Most people make those choices (0+ / 0-)

when it's not inconvenient.  WalMart is a case in point.  Many Progressives hate the policies but shop there because it's cheap and easy.  It takes something deeper to create change, a gut deep sense that I'm part of a complex web of life that deserves extra effort.  Being a basically good person is great, it doesn't create change at this level.

by I love OCD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 08:41:15 AM PST

•  Maybe some do... (0+ / 0-)

But some Progressives are retirees on limited income, and that's where they can afford to buy food.

Others may have no choice because Walmart has driven all the alternatives out of business.

Before you judge, walk a mile in those folk's shoes.

•  I've walked a lot of miles in those (0+ / 0-)

exact shoes.  "Limited income" is something I aspire to.  I give up things I'd like to have, some stuff I need, because supporting local businesses trumps convenience and price.   Lots of things.  It hardly hurts anymore and that's really good to know.

by I love OCD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:11:40 PM PST