View Diary: "You're a New Yorker, Aren't You?" (103 comments)

•  I KNOW!! And so did DAFFY'S!! (5+ / 0-)

Syms was GREAT. You had to hunt, sometimes, but oh it was worth it. I used to work right on 54th and Park...so close!

Loehmann's is still pretty good. Filene's Basement NOTHING like the old one in Boston, where I got Chanel pumps for $82. TJ Maxx...again, you have to HUNT. I found an Armani (not Armani Exchange) jacket at TJ Maxx for $99 (on clearance) 2 years ago.

Century 21? They don't have the "Cheap Date" racks anymore ($5 Italian miniskirts!) but do have some great clothes.

"...Males are biologically driven to go out and hunt giraffes.” —Newt Gingrich in 1995

by BadKitties on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 03:06:14 PM PDT

•  Try Marshall's. (5+ / 0-)

I used to troll Daffy's regularly, but I woke right up when I saw Pratesi bed linens on sale at Marshall's. Still not cheap, but like $200-300 instead of $1200-1300. And no, I didn't buy them. But they were a good indication of what the rest of the store had to offer.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to invite to the next NYC DailyKos meetup on April 28, if it fits your schedule. We are a nice bunch, if I do say so myself. I hope you can make it.

by sidnora on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 04:45:54 PM PDT

•  Aw, damn :( (1+ / 0-)
        sidnora

I'll be there from April 22nd to the 26th. Have one get-together planned for Thursday 4/25 with preppies/socialites at T-bar. Working on one with artsy-fartsies :) downtown, maybe Tuesday. Have to keep my brother and ex-fiancé separated. After 20 years, brother can barely be civil to poor ex. Brother is an artist/sculptor, but works for family business to actually pay bills. Actors/artists/activists all live in or near Village. The great divide :)

by BadKitties on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 09:27:31 AM PDT

•  I shop Marshall's in CO (1+ / 0-)
        sidnora

Will try the NYC one :) Must go to Loehmanns, though. Always do. And sample sales, if there are any good ones.

by BadKitties on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 10:08:27 AM PDT

•  Loehmann's (0+ / 0-)

is still happening, I stroll through regularly. No more trips to the Bronx necessary!

I am on a number of good sample-sale mailing lists, having spent 30 years in the rag trade. But it's too soon for any notices for the time when you'll be here. If you're interested, kosmail me the week before you get here and I'll let you know if I've got anything juicy.

by sidnora on Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 06:51:36 AM PDT

•  Invite (3+ / 0-)

you. That was supposed to say "invite you". Sigh.

by sidnora on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 04:46:46 PM PDT

•  I used to work at 57th and 5th (4+ / 0-)

not far, and coincidentally at Chanel.

I stuck it out for 7 years, but I am a tomboy at heart, and ended up with a farm, so leaving NY was quite a happy day.

I have gained 25% in extra life to what I used to lose in a commute.

To say nothing of the time I saved in dressing myself and putting on makeup.

•  Family business was on 57th between Madison (0+ / 0-)

And Park, until we sold the building and air rights a few years ago.

by BadKitties on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 09:29:31 AM PDT