View Diary: US Foreign Policy, We're the Cops of the world (46 comments)

•  Hell, you already posted one of my favorites! (4+ / 0-)

But here are a couple more Ochs songs that hit home for me:

Damn, I can't find the second one anywhere on the internet.  It's a pity, because Phil singing that song is simply incomparable. Here are the lyrics to it, though:

The Marines Have Landed on the Shores of Santo Domingo

Capo 2nd fret

Intro:Em
    Em
    And the crabs are crazy, they scuttle back and forth,
    D Dsus D
    The sand is burning
    C D C D
    And the fish take flight and scatter from the sight,
    Em
    their courses turning
    As the seagulls rest on the cold cannon nest
    D Dsus D
    the sea is churning.
    C D C D Em
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo.

The fishermen sweat, they're pausing at their nets, the day's a-burning
    As the warships sway and thunder in the bay, loud the morning.
    But the boy on the shore is throwing pebbles no more, he runs a-warning
    That the the marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo.

The streets are still, there's silence in the hills, the town is sleeping
    And the farmers yawn in the grey silver dawn, the fields they're keeping
    As the first troops land and step into the sand, the flags are weaving.
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo.

The unsmiling sun is shining down upon the singing soldiers
    In the cloud dust whirl they whistle at the girls, they're getting bolder.
    The old women sigh, think of memories gone by, they shrug their shoulders.
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo

Ready for the tricks, their bayonets are fixed, now they are rolling
    And the tanks make tracks past the trembling shacks where fear is unfolding
    All the young wives afraid, turn their backs on the parade
    with babes they're holding
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo

A bullet cracks the sound, the soldiers hit the ground, the sniper is callin'
    So they open their guns, a thousand to one, no sense in stalling
    He clutches at his head and totters on the edge, look how he's falling
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo

In the red plaza square, The crowds come to stare, the heat is gleaming
    And the eyes of the dead are turning every head to the widows screaming
    The soldiers make a bid, giving candy to the kids, their teeth are gleaming
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo

Up and down the coad, the generals drink a toast, the wheel is spinning
    And the cowards and the whores are peeking through the doors
    to see who's winning
    But the traitors will pretend that it's getting near the end,
    when it's beginning
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo

The crabs are crazy, they scuttle back and forth, the sand is burning
    And the fish take flight and scatter from the sight, their courses turning
    As the seagulls rest on the cold cannon nest, the sea is churning
    The marines have landed on the shores of Santo Domingo

When the union's inspiration /Through the workers' blood shall run /There can be no power greater /Anywhere beneath the sun /Solidarity Forever!

by litho on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 10:08:36 AM PDT

•  found it, litho! (5+ / 0-)

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 10:15:29 AM PDT

•  Thanks, allenjo, but that's not Ochs (2+ / 0-)
        allenjo, joanneleon

I've listened to Phil sing that song so many times, it's just not the same hearing a cover -- however good it might be.

When I was a kid Ochs sang a coffeehouse not far from where I lived.  For some reason, I didn't go.  A couple of months later he left us.  I still can't believe I didn't hear him that night.

by litho on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 10:26:39 AM PDT

•  Ochs a voice sorely missed (3+ / 0-)
          litho, ffour, aliasalias

Reality of all the wars the US has been fighting throughout the years, after all the death and destruction reaped on country after country, and then dealing with the fact that

Every day, one US soldier commits suicide, one a day.

From a Time mgz article

More US soldiers have killed themselves than have died in the Afghan War.

by allenjo on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 10:34:37 AM PDT

•  New verses by me in bold (4+ / 0-)
      I marched to the battle of New Orleans
      At the end of the early British wars
      The young men started growing
      The young blood started flowing
      But I ain't marchin' any more

For I killed my share of Indians in a thousand different fights
      I was there at the Little Big Horn
      I heard many men a-lying
      I saw many more a-dying
      But I ain't marchin' any more

It's always the old who lead us to the wars
      Always the young to fall
      Now look at what we've won with our sabre and our gun
      Tell me is it worth it all

For I stole California from the Mexican land
      Fought in the bloody Civil War
      Yes, I even killed my brothers
      And so many others
      But I ain't marchin' any more

For I marched to the battles of the German trench
      In a war that was bound to end all wars
      Oh I must have killed a million men
      And now they want me back again
      But I ain't marchin' any more

It's always the old who lead us to the wars
      Always the young to fall
      Now look at what we've won with our sabre and our gun
      Tell me is it worth it all

For I flew the final mission in the Japanese sky
      Set off the mighty mushroom roar
      When I saw the cities burnin'
      I knew that I was learnin'
      That I ain't marchin' any more

I fought in the slaughter at Pork Chop hill
      Wave after wave we had to kill
      Democracy was saved but what a price was paid
      But I ain't marchin' anymore

It's always the old who lead us to the wars
      Always the young to fall
      Now look at what we've won with our sabre and our gun
      Tell me is it worth it all

I fought hand to hand in the streets of Hue
      The swamps and the jungles took their toll
      While our leaders all were lying
      America was dying
      But I ain't marchin' anymore

I rolled into Baghdad in a mighty Abrams tank
      Flew a chopper through the dust filled skies
      We were lied into war once more
      Abeted by the media whores
      But I ain't marchin' anymore

by mollyd

I climbed the barren sloops near Kandahar
      stuck in a war once again
      piloted drones above the poppies feilds
      killing children, women and men
      But I ain't marchin' anymore

We've shot and bombed and burned our way across the world and back
      and blood money keeps a'rollin' in
      Call it peace or call it treason
      Call it love or call it reason
      But I ain't marchin' anymore
      No I ain't marchin' any more

Help me to be the best Wavy Gravy I can muster

by BOHICA on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 11:22:31 AM PDT

•  And "Blood Never Sleeps" so we are bound for more (1+ / 0-)
        BOHICA