View Diary: The Evening Blues - 3-14-13 (81 comments)

•  I never cared enough for tomato juice (6+ / 0-)

to be a Bloody Mary fan. But it's the idea that counts, and I'm sure any drink one finds delicious and soothing will get the job done!

If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room", I'll be an elitist! - David Rees from "Get Your War On".

by Oaktown Girl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 05:45:26 PM PDT

•  ahhh, but Oaktown... (4+ / 0-)

You haven't had one of my Bloody Mary's.  True...you have to begin with tomato juice.

I also make a mean Ramos Gin Fiz...

this recipe makes one...but the true gin fiz afficionado makes them by the blenderful

Yield: Makes 1 serving

1/4 cup (2 ounces) gin
      1 dash (3 to 4 drops) orange blossom water*
      1 large egg white
      1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) half-and-half
      1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lemon juice
      1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lime juice
      1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) simple syrup
      1 cup ice cubes
      2 tablespoons (1 ounce) seltzer

*Also called orange flower water; available in liquor stores and in the specialty foods section of some supermarkets.
      In large cocktail shaker, combine gin, orange blossom water, egg white, half-and-half, lemon juice, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 25 seconds. Add ice and shake for 30 seconds more.
      Strain mixture into 8-ounce glass. Slowly pour soda water down inside edge of shaker to loosen remaining froth. Gently ease soda water/froth mix onto drink and serve.

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 05:54:16 PM PDT

•  I would gladly have one of YOUR Bloody (6+ / 0-)

Mary's, Keith! As a certain Alaskan former politician used to say, "You betcha!"

by Oaktown Girl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 05:56:33 PM PDT

•  What is simple syrup (5+ / 0-)

and can the egg whites be skipped?  I don't do raw eggs. Well I'd have to leave out the gin too :) but the rest of it sounds fab.  That's the second recipe I've seen that calls for orange blossom water.  Sounds so good that I want to make something that has it as an ingredient.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 06:23:26 PM PDT

•  I do know what simple syrup is, but (4+ / 0-)

orange blossom water does sound incredibly, delightfully, deliciously decadent!

Well, I think we know who the Official Bar Tender at the Evening Bluester Meet Up will be! (Please don't schedule it until I'm gainfully employed again with maybe even a living wage vacation benefits so I can be travel to wherever it will be!

by Oaktown Girl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 06:29:53 PM PDT

•  simple syrup is just sugar and water (3+ / 0-)

1 part sugar to one part water...1 cup sugar to one cup water.  You heat to dissolve, and voila! You have a simple syrup.

No, JoJo...you cannot skip the egg whites!  They create a foamy essence that defines the drink.  Orange blossom water is a wonderful ingredient,,,and often used in middle eastern baking.  Much like rose water, it is used as an olfactory ingredient.  It lends an aroma, more than a taste...but it is essential.

Trust me...even people who aren't particularly fond of gin like a Ramos Gin Fiz.  It is a sublime cocktail.

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 06:40:17 PM PDT

•  i never much cared for them either... (6+ / 0-)

until one afternoon when i was hanging out on a boat way out in the bay after the beer ran out and there was nothing left but the makings of our host's favorite drink...  clamato juice, lemon, tabasco sauce, celery and vodka.  they were delicious.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

• Education (24)
  • Congress (23)
  • Science (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Law (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site