View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: A fascinating correlation between religion & politics, in 1 map (76 comments)

•  Odd mishmash of churches in those classifications (1+ / 0-)
    commonmass

Looks like it's really classified by the presumed politics of church members.  That might just explain the correlation of church to Obama voters.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 06:28:34 AM PDT

•  What? (0+ / 0-)

Click the link to the study. It's a survey of religious observance, not politics. There's not exactly a lot of debate in terms of whether to classify a someone as Catholic or evangelical. There isn't any gray area.

Get the Daily Kos Elections Digest in your inbox every weekday. Sign up here.

by David Nir on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:11:22 AM PDT

•  I think there's a substantial gray area (1+ / 0-)
        dinotrac

between mainline and evangelical protestants, no?

Your end of the Constitution is sinking.

by happymisanthropy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:58:12 AM PDT

•  I went to the study. (0+ / 0-)

Catholic is easy.

It's the mainline vs evangelical protestants that's a mishmash.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 11:04:09 AM PDT

•  It's pretty well accepted... (0+ / 0-)

...that there's a relatively clear distinction between Evangelical and Mainline Protestant denominations. The problem is that there's a lot of crossover among the membership: Evangelicals attending Mainline congregations (not so much going the other direction). This can muddy the water considerably for those particular groupings. That probably helps explain why there's no significant correlation between Mainline Protestant adherence and Obama voting.

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right" - Thomas Paine

by grothenberger on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 01:18:03 PM PDT

•  Really? Did you look at the lists? (0+ / 0-)

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 03:54:34 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry if I've offended. (0+ / 0-)

That was not my intention. Yes, I've looked at the ARDA lists. As I've mentioned in another comment in this thread, it's one of my favorite sites. The sociology of religion has been a special interest of mine since my undergraduate days (so long ago). It's one of the most respected websites related to the academic study of religion (particularly in the US) on the web. It's been listed as one of the best free reference websites by the American Library Association since 2010. As I said, I wasn't trying to offend anyone, merely pointing out that ARDA is using the standard academic definitions of mainline and evangelical Protestant as they currently apply in the US. The groupings are, after all, based on theological criteria, not political. That makes them less useful for what was done here than they might be, but not useless (in my opinion).

Anyway, since I don't know what your specific disagreement is with either the evangelical or mainline Protestant groupings, I don't really know how to respond, other than to apologize if anyone was offended by my comment. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

by grothenberger on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 05:24:27 PM PDT

•  No offense taken at all. (0+ / 0-)

I just find it hard to believe that theological criteria alone seperated the lists of protestant denominations.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 05:40:20 PM PDT