View Diary: Optics Not Good for Brennan at Swearing-in Ceremony-Uses U.S. Constitution Without Bill of Rights (46 comments)

•  Yeah, I saw it originally at Yahoo News... (0+ / 0-)

So....

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history." ~ Aldous Huxley

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:37:25 AM PDT

•  It doesn't even give you pause... (1+ / 0-)
      second gen

...that this story is being pushed by right-wing smearmongers looking for any possible excuse, no matter how flimsy, to attack the legitimacy of our President?

For an act with no actual effect on Brennan's future tenure as CIA director (it's not like he's going to read through the copy he swore on and say "oh, no Bill of Rights in here, we're good to go"), which you yourself are acknowledging is only purely symbolic in its ramifications?

Criticize Brennan for what he has said or done, or what he says and does as CIA director, but don't join the Breitbart gang and give their petty bullshit any legitimacy by piling on to things like this.

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:42:54 AM PDT

•  You know, some things are just beyond politics... (1+ / 0-)
        annecros
        Marcy Wheeler joining the Breitbart gang too?

I know damn well if I was allowed to pick the book on which I laid my hand as I was being sworn in to such an important position in which I dealt with the Constitution and upholding citizen's rights everyday... I'd damn sure pick one that included said rights. But I guess that's just me.

No, it doesn't "give me pause."

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:57:12 AM PDT

•  I think many of the President's critics... (2+ / 0-)
          cfm, second gen

...from the Left do too often join the right-wing smearmongers in promoting petty bullshit in order to attack the President.

Curiously, your history on this site doesn't include any pieces attacking the President for putting his hand on the Bible when he was sworn in on January 20. The Bible does not include the Bill of Rights at all, and yet had John Brennan placed his hand on that, I daresay we wouldn't have seen a peep of criticism from you on his choice of hand-rests for his swearing in, as evidenced by your past history of having not raised a peep of criticism when it was done by Brennan's boss. If you would like to dispute that, you're welcome to point me to a piece you authored elsewhere in which you engaged in such criticism.

Again, criticism of John Brennan for what he actually says and does in his capacity as CIA director is fully appropriate, as is criticism of whatever he has said and done previously that is relevant to his performance in his new post.

But stupid crap like this only legitimizes the Breitbart set and their constant stream of vitriol and venom directed at our President, anyone else with a D after their name, or anyone who has the audacity to say anything nice about anyone with a D after their name.

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:04:18 AM PDT

•  He chose the Constitution... (1+ / 0-)
            annecros

If he chose the Bible then he would be expected to follow the words and tenants within it -- except for the fact that none of those words apply to his job.

But he didn't. He chose a version of the Constitution without the Bill of Rights in it, rights he's charged with upholding in the everyday performance of his job.

It was stupid, in my opinion.

And callous.

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:36:10 AM PDT

•  So irrelevant is ok but relevant/historical isn't? (0+ / 0-)
              And yet, not a peep of criticism from you for the myriad elected officials who swear in on a document in which none of the words apply to their job, even though you suggest that by swearing in on that document, they would be expected to follow its words and "tenants" [sic] in their jobs as elected officials. I would think that would raise a much more vociferous objection from you, but not a peep emergeth from thy keyboard. Curious, that.
              And again, suppose he used a 1791 version... would that mean he didn't think he was charged with upholding the 14th Amendment, guaranteeing equal protection to all Americans under the law? That is quite relevant to the everyday performance of the job of the CIA director, if I'm not mistaken; would you have been as vociferous in your criticism then?

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:41:20 AM PDT

•  For the record. I think putting one's hand on... (0+ / 0-)

the Bible's even more stupid than picking the wrong Constitution.

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:55:19 AM PDT

•  And yet, there's a paucity of pieces here by you.. (0+ / 0-)

...attacking elected officials, including Brennan's boss, for putting their hand on the Bible when being sworn in.

So one is forced to conclude from your dead silence when other elected officials were sworn in on the Bible, that your criticism of Brennan here is about something else rather than about his choice of hand-rests while being sworn in—something you yourself acknowledge throughout this piece and the comments.

So why not make this piece about what you are actually criticizing him for, rather than seizing on the Andrew Breitbart Memorial Ridiculous Petty Outrage Du Jour to attack the guy for swearing on a historical version of the Constitution?

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:14:45 AM PDT

•  You're a regular bulldog on these non sequiturs... (0+ / 0-)

Not once have you addressed the point of the diary: that a man with a dubious past on Constitutional issues was actually sworn in using a draft Constitution that didn't include the Bill of Rights, and the fact that it didn't look good.

Somehow, you've got it in your head that because I haven't previously done a diary on Obama's swearing-in ceremony where he used a Bible; somehow precludes me from writing about Brennan's faux pas.

That's amusing... but wrong.

News flash: the two subjects are mutually exclusive. One has nothing to do with the other.

It really must be tough being a John Brennan fan these days.

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 05:29:05 PM PDT

•  Who said I was a John Brennan fan? (0+ / 0-)

As I mentioned, if your issue is Brennan's "dubious past on Constitutional issues," then write about that. If your issue is what you think Brennan will do running the CIA, then write about that.

There's enough relevant criticism to be directed at John Brennan that there should be absolutely no need to stoop to irrelevant criticism that not only sets you up for the obvious rejoinder that you haven't criticized other national leaders for not swearing in on the Constitution with the Bill of Rights, but that also lends credibility to scum like the Breitbart crowd.

John Brennan and this administration's stance toward intelligence and the "war on terror" deserve no shortage of criticism. But the existence of Breitbart and a right-wing noise machine whose entire purpose is to engage in any tactic, no matter how low or dishonest, to destroy anyone with a D after their name is also a major problem for this country and our future.

The use of Breitbart's irrelevant grounds for criticism of the administration's "war on terror" only emboldens and legitimizes the Breitbart right-wing hate machine, when we should be devoted to delegitimizing and ultimately dismantling that machine.

by JamesGG on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 07:07:21 AM PDT

•  What?!? (0+ / 0-)
              No. He wouldn't.

This is why this is so fucking stupid. It doesn't matter WHAT he puts his hand on, it makes no difference to the actual oath.

"Mitt Romney looks like the CEO who fires you, then goes to the Country Club and laughs about it with his friends." ~ Thomas Roberts MSNBC

by second gen on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 01:59:04 PM PDT

•  So. . . (0+ / 0-)

Yahoo? You mean right wing troll world?

I guess you're saying that Keith Ellison is a terrorist? Because that's the same "symbolism" that places like Breitbart and Yahoo imply with him using the Koran.

by second gen on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:55:43 AM PDT

•  Yahoo is mainstream... Breitbart is not... (0+ / 0-)

Go off on tangential extrapolations much? I didn't imply anything other than it was poor optics, and an even poorer decision/oversight on Brennan's part.

Funny, I thought this was a reality-based community.

Not an Obama administration protection racket.

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:24:18 AM PDT

•  Oh, I thought this was about Brennan, (0+ / 0-)

thanks for clearing up that it's really about Obama.

Go figure.