View Diary: Optics Not Good for Brennan at Swearing-in Ceremony-Uses U.S. Constitution Without Bill of Rights (46 comments)

•  And suppose he'd used a 1791 copy... (2+ / 0-)
    Samer, second gen

...with the Bill of Rights attached. Would that have meant that he was symbolically rejecting all the future amendments, thereby signaling that he disagreed with the 13th Amendment banning slavery, the 14th Amendment granting equal protection, and the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote?

Since the Constitution was most recently amended in 1992, wouldn't his using a Constitution with all of the amendments pretty much rule out the whole "historic copy" thing?

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:49:27 AM PDT

•  Specious argument... (0+ / 0-)

The rights he's supposed to uphold are the First, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth.

In his case, those are the ones that pertain to him as far as I know.

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history." ~ Aldous Huxley

by markthshark on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:11:48 AM PDT

•  He's not supposed to uphold the 14th? (0+ / 0-)

All Americans don't deserve equal protection under the law from the Director of Central Intelligence?

That's an odd perspective.

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 09:15:42 AM PDT

•  As important as the 14th is to me (0+ / 0-)

in this case, I'd say the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th are the most central. Though they would be more pertinent if we were nominating a new Attorney General.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:05:39 AM PDT

•  I would think that the 14th Amendment guarantee... (1+ / 0-)
            second gen

...that every American, no matter their skin color, national origin, or religious inclination, is entitled to the equal protection of the law, would be a rather significant and pertinent one for those criticizing the President's drone policy as operated by the CIA.

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:17:28 AM PDT

•  And here I thought it was the Justice Dept (0+ / 0-)

doing that.

So hard to sort out DHS these days.

Look, I love the equal protection clause, and we (both white and black, I'd argue) would be sunk without it. But if you don't believe the law itself has any freaking value, if you think due process is a frivolous genuflecting to the gods of PR, and you believe firmly in might makes right, "equal protection of the law" means "equal protection of a bunch of frivolous BS that doesn't mean anything."

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:31:50 AM PDT

•  Well, in that case, the BoR is meaningless too. (1+ / 0-)
                second gen

If he doesn't think the law has any value, then his swearing an oath to uphold it is in itself the problem, not the contents of his hand-rest while he's doing the swearing-in.

by JamesGG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37:24 AM PDT