View Diary: If you demand to open carry... I demand Clearing Barrels (141 comments)

•  I certainly did. (1+ / 0-)
    KVoimakas

As you can clearly see in the comment in question, Bob Johnson directly called SpamNunn a "jackass," as well as indirectly calling anyone supporting or engaging in the legal concealed carry of firearms the same epithet.

Insults/namecalling are against site rules, as I am sure you are well aware -- as is uprating comments that contain an insult.

As you can see, not only Bob Johnson broke site rules in that instance (as well as in this thread, for bringing disputes from older threads into new ones -- something else he does regularly), several other people broke site rules by uprating it.

It shows that there are those who are willing to support the breaking of site rules when they choose to.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 05:29:05 AM PDT

•  Yeah, but you don't indulge in a rich fantasy life (1+ / 0-)
      a2nite

... about your guns, do you?

"Arghh, matey!"

•  No, not really. (1+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas

While my job as a historical re-enactor does, often, involve the use of reproduction historical firearms, that has nothing whatsoever to do with any "fantasy life" that you may pretend that I have regarding politics and public policy.

You may choose to falsely characterize me any way you like, it won't change the facts.

I do note that you do not respond directly to the point I made, preferring, it would seem, to change the subject.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 07:29:48 AM PDT

•  That's because you don't have a point. (2+ / 0-)
          TheFern, a2nite

I wasn't "bringing disputes from older threads into new ones." I was making an observation. I had no dispute in the thread I brought here. That thread was illustrative of my point. Namely, that an awful lot of the conceal/carry and open carry folks seem to be living in a fantasy world where they will be "ready when the shit hits the fan" like some kind of imagined hero from the old west or from some lame-ass action film.

And, yes, I think most of them are jackasses. Most of them are old, fat white guys who probably can't run a mile, and would feel "naked" without their guns, but, goddamnit, they are prepared!

For what, who knows.

As for the other humorous notion expressed numerous times by that crowd -- "I hope I never have to use it" -- that speaks louder than they can imagine.

As Patrick Costighan noted upthread, he thinks Chicago is some kind of lawless hell. Yet he still feels the need to pack a piece (he said he's a conceal/carry guy) wherever he lives, which one would assume from his comments on Chicago, must be relatively calm and peaceful.

The conceal and open carry crowd can tell themselves over and over that carrying a weapon is all about self-defense or some other such nonsense, but more than anything else it appears to be a security blanket for thumb-suckers.

•  Well, at least you addressed the point. (1+ / 0-)
            KVoimakas

Well, not so much the parts where you were blatantly breaking site rules, but at least you acknowledge the behavior itself.

It's a sort of improvement, I suppose.  If you ignore your rationalization of what you actually did into something other than what it was, of course.

Granted, you're still falsely attributing motives to people based on your own imagination, so... oh... right -- that's no improvement at all, is it?

Really, if you have to resort to such unsupported claims as:

...to support your stance, perhaps it is time to re-examine that stance.

I mean, anyone can create a false motive for any behavior and use it to support all sorts of other falsehoods.  It's a fairly common tactic -- but one seen  more often from Republicans, generally.

At any rate, you have a fantastic day.  Workday for me, so you may feel free to go ahead and post any other falsehoods here that you would like -- we've seen that, no matter now often you break site rules, you'll have people to uprate it for you.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 09:53:11 AM PDT

•  I see. (0+ / 0-)

You don't think people who engage in concealed carry are jackasses.  I would just call that a difference of opinion.  I'm pretty sure there are lots of folks who disagree with your position and think that people who walk around with concealed firearms are Jackasses, amoung other things.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 10:34:35 AM PDT

•  Seriously? (1+ / 0-)
        theatre goon

Insults are more than just a difference of opinion.

How fast do you think a comment from an RKBAer that says "All those who don't carry are pussies" would be HR-ed? Less than 5 seconds is my guess.

But that's just a difference of opinion.

My ass.

*Disclaimer: The insult I used as an example above is not one of my views and should be treated as an example.*

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 11:42:37 AM PDT

•  It doesn't matter what I think. (0+ / 0-)

According to site rules, one is not allowed to insult other users -- in fact, the FAQ goes into some detail that insults are, in fact, HRable.

That being the case, "difference of opinion" doesn't enter into it.

Or do you think site rules don't apply when you don't want them to...?

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 02:41:25 PM PDT

•  You are like the HR Automaton! (0+ / 0-)
          It doesn't matter what I think.
          Your the one that threw it!  But the site made me do it!

whatever.  Have fun.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 06:02:09 PM PDT

•  you're (0+ / 0-)

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 06:02:25 PM PDT

•  Nice cherry-picking. (0+ / 0-)

You look at only one line of my post, ignoring the rest of it, where that one line was explained -- thereby not responding to the actual point.

I never said "the site made me do it," what I clearly meant was that insults are always HRable, no matter what one's opinion is about the subject being discussed.

It's really not the complex -- unless, perhaps, one intentionally makes it so.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 03:48:29 AM PDT