View Diary: Police Kill Disabled Man Who Rushed Them With Scissors (36 comments)

•  let me bring you a little bit of science (0+ / 0-)

gasoline has a low vapor pressure meaning it enters a gaseous stage fairly easily these vapors are highly flammable and can be easily set off by a spark like for example a freaken taser

In the time that I have been given,
    I am what I am

by duhban on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 07:17:49 PM PDT

•  Not the point (5+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM, jayden, blueoregon, Noddy, zett

The point ProgLegs was making was that, since they were fine with shooting him dead, their decision not to use tasers was to protect themselves/the home. It wasn't that they were scared using a taser would light him on fire.

"I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil." ~Bobby Kennedy

by Grizzard on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 07:21:21 PM PDT

•  The police negotiated with him (2+ / 0-)
      grover, Noddy

for more than an hour. With each passing minute the worry of lighting the gasoline decreases because of evaporation.

What ever happened to billy clubs? Two cops with billy clubs should be able to subdue a guy brandishing scissors.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:06:55 PM PDT

•  actually no (0+ / 0-)

because gas doesn't dissipate it just hangs low in a cloud

In the time that I have been given,
        I am what I am

by duhban on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 08:34:22 PM PDT

•  Oh for fuck's sake. (2+ / 0-)
          Noddy, CuriousBoston

He wasn't standing at a goddamned gas pump at a filling station. Interesting how you choose not to respond to the part of my comment about billy clubs.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 10:56:38 PM PDT

•  I didn't respond to it because generally (0+ / 0-)

I find the arm chair police work (or any arm chair second guessing) annoying and utterly ignorant of the actual conditions being operated under

That part of the comment is as helpful as asking why didn't they use their phasers?

I am not entirely sure why the officers acted as they did, the difference between us is you have your conclusion already and are trying to justify it where as I am open to evidence regardless of the outcome

In the time that I have been given,
            I am what I am

by duhban on Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 11:26:50 PM PDT

•  Bullshit. (0+ / 0-)

One is a tool at their disposal while your blathering on about phasers is complete inane nonsense.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 12:58:11 AM PDT

•  and how? (0+ / 0-)

see this is why I dislike arm chair decesion making, do you even have any idea what you are talking about?

In the first place those officers almost certainly had their service weapons out and so to even get out a baton they're going to have to put them away. Do you think you could do that quickly while someone is charging you with scissors? And even if you could are you going to risk being stabbed?

The only one blathering here is you with your ignorance and false sense of judgement.

PS this is my last reply here so take the last word, I think you need it more then I

In the time that I have been given,
                I am what I am

by duhban on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 01:59:25 AM PDT

•  Over an hour? (5+ / 0-)

If only cities had crews of municipal workers they could call on an emergency basis -- heck, maybe they could even give them big red trucks, flashing lights and sirens-- so that they could show up instantly if the police called them. And if a fire started, it would be instantly smothered.

Gosh, it would be amazing if they even had someone trained in field medicine (like military medics) in that sort of crew, to tend to the wounds until the burn victim got to a hospital (because surviving burns sucks but surviving fatal gunshot wounds is pretty much impossible).

Maybe they could have two of these field medical specialists:  a pair of medics.

But wow, I'm just talking crazy, aren't I?