View Diary: The GOP admits it has a 'female challenge' (103 comments)

•  Yeah, the GOP has been stunningly stupid WRT (6+ / 0-)

women.

Equal pay for equal work is a conservative issue.  How in the hell can Republicans blow that one?  A free market should value resources properly. Failure to do so means that the market is functioning inefficiently.

Hint: Wage a very public ware against the glass ceiling.  If you REALLY want to score some points and distance yourselves from Democrats, spend a little time on the male side of the equation.  How do we make it OK for dads to spend more time with their kids, etc.  Maybe get agressive pushing work-life balance as better for individuals, better for families, better for the country.

There's no need to cater to the most rigidly backward elements of the base.  They're not going to vote for Demcorats.  Some of them might stay home, but that hurts a whole lot less than losing votes to Democrats.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 09:15:23 AM PDT

•  And who ends up working more part time? (9+ / 0-)

Primary care givers which are mostly females caring for children, grandchildren or aging parents. So Min-Wage is also a big Woman Issue too--

Greedy Moronic Misogynists.

They can't live with us, and legally they can't chain us up in the basement either.

•  I can speak as something you've never been: (1+ / 0-)
        Penny GC

a father.  Not only that, but a father who knows other fathers.

Guess what?
        We like our kids.

A surprising number of the freelancers and small business people I know  -- even those who were forced into that status by layoffs -- resist going back to "real jobs" because of the freedom they (er, we -- I'm one of them) have to do for and with our kids.

It's been more than a decade since I was a corporate employee, so things may have changed, but I remember it being somehow less ok, even unmanly and disloyal, for men to do family things that were ok for women.  That attitude hurts women as much as it does men because it sets up a situation of differntial perceived value and risk.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 09:32:31 AM PDT

•  What the heck are you talking about? (2+ / 0-)
          Penny GC, LaraJones

No where in any post on this diary have I slammed fathers.

If you have something you need to get off your chest, post a diary, I will read it.

I am supportive of Fathers in any positive role they choose to embody, just like mothers.

•  I think dinotrac misread your response. (3+ / 0-)
            dinotrac, Penny GC, LaraJones

It appears he construed your reply about the minimum wage and part-time women workers as a challenge of sorts to his point regarding male life / work balance, rather than an extension of his point about how equal pay for equal work is potentially a conservative-friendly issue.

•  never claimed that you did, but your response (0+ / 0-)

suggested that you hadn't considered the possibility that fathers might welcome a acceptance and embrace of their family roles by corporate employers or that such a thing might also benefit women.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 10:30:13 AM PDT

•  As an aside... (3+ / 0-)
              dinotrac, DSPS owl, schnecke21

...I think it would be in our collective interests to advocate for a significant increase in male homemakers. I believe such a change would decrease the available labor pool - increasing wages and the employment opportunities available to women - and help to dispel the stigma attached to men in such areas as childcare.

•  Homemakers of any gender. Better for the kids, and (1+ / 0-)
                schnecke21

probably better for the couples if finances rationalize.  It's a lot of work to keep a home running -- especially to do so economically -- and life managed.

My wife and I are partners in our own (very) small business, so, between us, we each have some time to shop, pick up kids, plan, etc.

I kind of like that model, but the free-lancing life isn't for everybody.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 11:48:03 AM PDT

•  I agree. (1+ / 0-)
                  schnecke21

If I suggest that the emphasis should be campaigning for a greater degree of male homemakers specifically, it is because I believe both that we have a grand imbalance in this area, and a cultural perception of male homemakers that is slanted toward the negative. However, a greater degree of homemakers in general would still serve to bring wages up, as I posited earlier.

Of course, this is all predicated on the notion that a breadwinner / homemaker arrangement is preferable.

I like the sound of the arrangement you and your wife have devised. I suspect the popularity of such a model may well go up in the future, given the wholehearted embrace of flexible hours and teleworking by the Millennials.

•  It's actually a very old arrangement going back (0+ / 0-)

to the days before the industrial revolution.

In the "old days", families were ecnomic units and people were more attached to their communities than today.

It was before the time of "Dad went off to work".  There was a division of "women's work" and "mens' work" that wouldn't quite fit modern sensibilities.  On the other hand, fathers were generally responsible for seeing that boys got educated in the things a boy should know and be able to do, and ditto for mom and the girls.

Breadwinners going off to the salt mines isn't exactly a new phenomenon, but, prior to the industrial revolution, it wasn't the expectation.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 02:12:57 PM PDT

•  Oh, absolutely. (0+ / 0-)

I imagine it inevitable that a breadwinner / homemaker arrangement would develop once the industrial revolution decoupled work and home. (And personally, I'm glad to see that there is potential for this trend to be reversed; I'm a great believer in the importance of work / life balance.)

Thanks for the fascinating insight, by the by. It's been most enlightening.

•  Still don't know what the heck you are talking (0+ / 0-)

about. You are obviously having a conversation with someone, and it isn't with me.

Please do note that the title and THEME of this diary is about the GOP WOMAN PROBLEM.

•  Dino, actually mininum wage for any worker is (3+ / 0-)
          dinotrac, Penny GC, LaraJones

unsatisfactory. And yes, we are not discounting that there are single fathers who are primary caregivers too and that there are married stay at home fathers.  I think most of us are just saying that the majority of mothers are primary caregivers but we recognize the role of fathers is very important and there are single dads out there too.  I do not think anyone is putting down fathers in this thread, not at all. We were just discussing the GOP problem with women and some of it is related to pay and equality and womens health and so much more.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 10:00:01 AM PDT

•  I didn't think anybody was putting fathers down, (0+ / 0-)

but failing to appreciate that equality has to include fathers if unspoken underlying calculations of value/risk are ever to be equal.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 10:35:55 AM PDT

•  The elephant's graveyard (0+ / 0-)

Jesus died to save you from Yahweh.

by nolagrl on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 09:31:00 AM PDT