View Diary: The GOP admits it has a 'female challenge' (103 comments)

•  WTF? Married Woman--not voting for GOP (15+ / 0-)

For quite some time now.

More than likely this harkens back more to Security Moms rather than "Married Women".

Married women have abortions too, married women especially use Birth Control and family planning services OBVIOUSLY.

I hate it when those idjits lump all of us together and then someone else falls for it.

Leave me out of that sick fantasy. I also don't shop at Hobby Lobby or Chick Fillet, or Walmart, or BP for starters.
    And I am still married.

•  Yes, like I said in my other comments here, much (5+ / 0-)

of that has to do with a large number of women involved in these Evangelical churches and more conservative churches being women. I think that is where they win the majority of married women voters....I still think most of it is tied to their church affililation.  I know for the short time I went to an Evangelical church while in college and grad school because my best friends went there..it was all geared toward married women and young couples with children..and single people were the outsiders.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 09:54:15 AM PDT

•  Yep--nailed it. Church Affiliation (2+ / 0-)
        irishwitch, wishingwell

The entire War on Women is religiously based.

•  Exactly and I think right wing churches cater to (1+ / 0-)
          GreenMother

married people, push for marriage at a younger age, and have more programs for couples.  My parents noticed that a lot in some of the churches they attended, no programs for seniors or singles but a ton of programs for married couples of all ages.  Sometimes that is even a problem for less conservative churches.

I know the Mormon church too along with the catholic church and most conservative churches preach against living together and pre marital sex and instead urge young people to marry. I think overall that is why so many of these fundy churches have so many married women.

I attended a wedding for my best friend's son who sadly is a Evangelical conservative despite his mother being an agnostic liberal.  You should have seen all the very young married women there and the vows the bride said about obeying her husband and him being the head of the household and spiritual leader gave me chills in a bad way.

But each of these very young couples must have had 4 kids a piece and none of these women were over 30. I also heard his church is worse than most as they do not believe in birth control. It started as a home church because they felt the southern baptists were too liberal !! Yikes, it was a strange experience, all the men had beards too.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 03:57:50 PM PDT

•  To each their own. I don't want to care, as long (1+ / 0-)
            wishingwell

as the people who are members, are voluntarily members, and the church doesn't dabble in legislating their religious beliefs on the rest of us.

Honestly I don't care what church you go to, if you go to church at all, or why. I might if we were close friends [hypothetically speaking] because it's a way for me to understand my hypothetical friend better.

But I don't want to see churches as anything other than a passing curiosity in my personal life. Any of them.

I am a law abiding citizen, I pay my taxes, I help contribute to the good of the community. That should be more than enough.

•  All my married friends and relatives are Democrats (2+ / 0-)
      GreenMother, irishwitch

while the single friends and relatives I have are more conservative and most are Republican.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 09:55:33 AM PDT

•  Makes me wonder too, where they got their sample (3+ / 0-)

I wonder if this is mostly older folks who still have land-lines instead of cell phones? Or maybe they took their numbers from Christian Mingle.

•  I am an older woman who still has a landline (3+ / 0-)
          wishingwell, GreenMother, LaraJones

rather than a cell phone--because cell service annoys me --if I am OUT of the damned house, I want to be OUT of it, not talking to people in the car. We had a cell, and my husband only used it to call me to tell me he was heading home and did I want him to pick up anything?

I am also more liberal than a LOT of people who own cell phones and are 20-30 years younger than me.  Because I remember the time before ROe and how several friends in college ended up pregnant and had to drop out. Let's not stereotype. These days MANY of the women fighting for reproductive rights are my age, while too many younger women take them for granted because they grew up with them. WIth any luck 2012 and Rush and Todd Akin and the others woke themup--because otherwise they are screwed.

I think it really IS linked to churches--and down here it's evangelical  and right-wing Christian of all striped (some are worse than others, but msot aren't anywhere near decent)--and THOSE are the married women the GOP boasts about having--married evangelicals whites int he SOuth and Midwest. I doubt they do well with married white women  (or Balck or Hispanic) in palces like MA or CA.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 03:44:56 PM PDT

•  Exactly, my sister lives in GA and agrees entirely (1+ / 0-)
            irishwitch

with what you are saying...she and I are both in our 50s but I live in the northeast and she live in the south. Most of the Republicans she knows are Republicans because they belong to Right wing Evangelical churches.

My husband works with some Republican women who would never dream of going to any church but they are the greedy, selfish type who resent paying any taxes and are racists and overall bigots.

Most of the old friends from college who are Republicans , it is all tied into the church as they married right after college, had kids right away, and started going to conservative churches.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 03:50:01 PM PDT

•  I agree, most of my married friends are older (1+ / 0-)
            irishwitch

and more liberal than their nieces, and nephews, and young coworkers.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 03:51:53 PM PDT

•  Me Too, Irishwitch. (1+ / 0-)
            irishwitch
            I bet we could trade some stories.