View Diary: Escape from politics. "TV has never been better." Rachel Maddow. Let's discuss. (160 comments)

•  Don't have cable, so limited. (7+ / 0-)

I spent about 6 months with a friend who did and while there I watched, and loved, Suits. My friend watched a bunch of other stuff that I enjoyed as well, but Suits was my favorite.

Non-cable favorite is Big Bang Theory. I know those people well and I find the writing and delivery to be crisp and consistently amusing. Again, my friend with cable introduced me to TBBT. I enjoy it so much that I've borrowed all back seasons from the library and have now seen every episode except for a couple from this season that I might have missed.

Cable friend claimed that TV was best it's been in 40 years. I concur.

The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but did you bring in the ship.

by Hanging Up My Tusks on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 05:56:10 PM PDT

•  Oh yes, Suits is another must-watch for me (5+ / 0-)

And Boardwalk Empire.

If you like Suits, you would probably like Scandal. Or Mad Men.

Hopefully ...... soon, Mom. My political compass: - 8.38,-6.97

by pucklady on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 05:57:41 PM PDT

•  Have seen some of Mad Men and liked it. (5+ / 0-)

Haven't seen Boardwalk yet - will give it a try if and when I have the opportunity.

I've wanted to watch Game of Thrones (Dinklage), but my friend's cable didn't include any of the premium networks. Must check library availability!

by Hanging Up My Tusks on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 06:02:51 PM PDT

•  Love Mad Men. (4+ / 0-)

But then, it pretty perfectly and sometimes painfully describes the America I grew up in. Don Draper's daughter is me, in terms of our age and where we were at when much of the era portrayed by Mad Men hit.

Wish I'd started watching Boardwalk Empire from the get go.  Too late to jump in now.  Will look for a good deal on series dvds on Amazon and Ebay.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 07:03:19 PM PDT

•  I love Suits (2+ / 0-)
        pucklady, StellaRay

Suits is one of my favorite shows on TV,  Plus there are some absolutely brilliant shows like Dexter, Louie, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, and The Following.

But I have to admit one thing.  TV can be the greatest entertainment on the planet if you watch quality shows, or it can be the biggest cesspool of sludge if you spend your time watching Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, Honey Boo Boo, any of the Real Housewives and their knockoffs, or those redneck/hillbilly reality shows which seem to be all the rage on cable TV right now.

•  Can't argue with your point, (1+ / 0-)
          pucklady

but what is a quality show, or an acceptable "guilty pleasure" is
          up to each and every one of us.  And that's the glory of it.

Yep, TV can absolutely be "the biggest cesspool of sludge" or an inspiration of nightly entertainment that movies can't match. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Whatever. It's here to stay, and for each of us to choose what works for us, no fuss no muss.  If only politics was this easy.

by StellaRay on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 07:45:08 PM PDT

•  Note to self: (3+ / 0-)
      arizonablue, pucklady, worldlotus

check out Suits. Thank you for the suggestion. And then Big Bang Theory. I'm going to have to google that.

by StellaRay on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 06:58:05 PM PDT

•  Big Bang Theory in its 6th season right now. (2+ / 0-)
        StellaRay, pucklady

I didn't start watching it until almost the end of the 5th season. It's wildly popular (with good reason, imo) worldwide and the cast is excellent. Think MASH, Cheers, or some other sitcom that had superior writers and cast. Very, very funny stuff - and this is coming from someone who watches very little TV.

The main reason I enjoy Suits is I'm in love with Gabriel Macht. Tres sexy!

by Hanging Up My Tusks on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 08:36:39 PM PDT

•  Ok, you and others who have mentioned (1+ / 0-)
          pucklady

this show here, have convinced me I must look into it.  I didn't discover Dexter till it was going into its 7th season, but now I'm caught up, because I enjoyed what I'd missed enough to gobble it up in a short time.  Would love the same to be true again with Big Bang Theory, or any other series that earns it.

by StellaRay on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 10:13:26 PM PDT