View Diary: Allen West tests a Kossack's resolve (123 comments)

•  I keep hearing how (13+ / 0-)

these conservatives give give and give, till their little pointy heads are imploding. What they don't say, is some of these conservatives give to churches or things that are required of them, Mitt Rmoney anyone? Giving to the little dog that requires surgery, or the person who needs food this week, or any number of things I have seen here just on GOS, while it is charity it is not  a tax exempt thing. I'll bet if they did a survey on liberal atheists like me and many others of the religious bent who are liberal, they would see we give just as much as these pious conservatives, we just don't run up the street talking about it.

Don't watch it dad, you will have brain cells jumping to their suicide. Me, when I learned dad had been watching Fox.

by glescagal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 11:11:43 AM PDT

•  This country should not count on donation jars (6+ / 0-)

for pennies on the counters of convenience stores to pay for life-saving treatment for people that don't have health care.

•  You are absolutely correct (2+ / 0-)
        Lily O Lady, ColoTim

one of the many reasons I keep up my British citizenship. The very second I find out someone major going on with me, unless it's some kid of emergency, I can go home and be treated by NHS in Scotland. Americans should have that same luxury, of not worrying about being flat broke because something happened health wise.

by glescagal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 03:09:16 PM PDT

•  And many of us give to charity (5+ / 0-)

without taking a tax deduction for it, because we don't have enough deductions to itemize.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 01:07:54 PM PDT

•  Real charity doesn't care if it's tax deductible. (2+ / 0-)
        glescagal, Lily O Lady

It's nice, but not a reason.

We do it because it's the right thing to do.  No matter how much we are struggling, we know there are others who are worse off, and we feel it is our obligation as human beings to help.

Somehow, the right just doesn't get that.  I wish they did.

:-(

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 02:12:19 PM PDT

•  Right (0+ / 0-)

I'm talking about their need to go running around telling everyone, how they are always about giving like the rest of us never give at any time.

by glescagal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 03:06:27 PM PDT

•  Well, who was the asshole (1+ / 0-)
          glescagal

who said that if Obama limited the percentage of income given to charity that could be deducted, he'd have to reduce his charitable contributions accordingly? I remember him really getting hammered on Twitter...oh yeah, this guy.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 05:43:20 PM PDT