View Diary: Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) Shows Us Exactly Why Republicans Suck (242 comments)

•  Let's be fair. (22+ / 0-)

The kid was a college freshman when this came out. It's very possible that he didn't want to be the subject of a public controversy or a talking point in a presidential campaign.

I have a friend who came out to her parents 20 years ago but still has one grandparent that lives in blissful ignorance of the whole thing.  This isn't easy stuff for every family.  I won't quibble with their timing.

"Unrestricted immigration is a dangerous thing -- look at what happened to the Iroquois." Garrison Keillor

by Spider Stumbled on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 06:36:33 AM PDT

•  I think that's quite true. (8+ / 0-)

And the assumption is that somehow this was Rob Portman's story to share. And that's not entirely true. It was his son's. He couldn't share the evolution of his thinking without outing the son.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 06:54:32 AM PDT

•  Accept Rob Portman (3+ / 0-)

should have supported his son BEHIND the scenes of his son and IN FRONT of America.

What he just showed his son waiting 2 years to do ANYTHING, well, shows me he probably didn't accept his son at first.

AGAIN, where is the ability to have EMPATHY on the Republican side of the aisle?  They have none until something hits home to them.

-6.13 -4.4 Where are you? Take the Test!!!

by MarciaJ720 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 06:55:55 AM PDT

•  You are assuming (4+ / 0-)

that his 18 year old son wanted this to be front-page news from the day he came out to his parents.  I suppose that's possible but I really doubt it went down quite that way.  I don't think my gay friend would have wanted that added pressure when they were in that position.

by Spider Stumbled on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 08:08:58 AM PDT

•  FriendS not friend (2+ / 0-)
          Silvia Nightshade, MarciaJ720

Yes I have more than one gay friend.  Just a typo.

by Spider Stumbled on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 08:09:37 AM PDT

•  No, not necessarily (4+ / 0-)
          MarciaJ720, ColoTim, TomFromNJ, Naniboujou

If his son did not want to be publicly mentioned, all Portman had to do was say on further thought, and discussion with people whom he knows, he has changed his position because conservative values and Jesus and all. Did not have to mention his gay son.

And frankly, why should my rights depend on how someone interprets their bible? The Constitution is the founding document of this country, not the bible, quran, bhagavad-gita or any other tract.

•  Even here, though, (2+ / 0-)
            Magenta, RamblinDave

how many people would be satisfied with Portmann explaining it that way? I'm sure some would, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that nobody would try to speculate further about what reallycaused Portmann to change his mind. I suspect that more than a few people, including prominent ones who hold some sway, would assume he isn't forthcoming.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider Sen. Portmann to be heroic with this, but the reality is that politicians and their families have to deal with these issues just as regular families do.

liberal bias = failure to validate or sufficiently flatter the conservative narrative on any given subject

by RockyMtnLib on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39:42 PM PDT

•  That doesn't remove my ability to empathize. (0+ / 0-)

Maybe he didn't accept his son at first, but now that he has, I can't condemn him for that.

I personally think empathy is a two-way street. This had to be gut-wrenching and heart-breaking for the guy and his wife. This is not what they wanted or expected. And they came out on the right side. So, yeah, maybe they should have always been there, but that's water under the bridge. There are a lot of parents who would just throw that kid under the bus, and he chose not to.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 02:53:37 PM PDT

•  Another possibility (0+ / 0-)

Since this is a right wing Republican we're talking about, it might simply be a matter of two years of "it's only a phase" denial.

Certaines personnes disent qu'il y a une femme à blâmer, Mais je sais que c'est ma faute sacrément.

by RamblinDave on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:47:56 PM PDT