View Diary: GFHC - Open Thread - New evidence: My mother-in-law is a space alien (66 comments)

•  Indeed, my own GGreatGrandmother (9+ / 0-)

seems to be a space alien. She was twice wed, but apparently never born - or born twice because she claimed two different sets of parents -one for each wedding - none of which seemed to have been born or in need of housing, anywhere, ever.

I'm beginning to fear ending up in the town stocks myself due to the incessant muttering and blasphemy this has caused.

“Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a Republican. But I repeat myself.” ― Harry S. Truman

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 11:52:49 AM PDT

•  Some days my cats are the smartest in the room (8+ / 0-)

They haven't solved any of the dead ends, though.

They can lock me in the stocks as long as they leave my hands free enough to use my laptop. The muttering isn't going to stop.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 12:26:17 PM PDT

•  My own cat (8+ / 0-)

constantly drools on my arm to ward off the chances of spontaneous combustion. She's deaf, so the muttering warrants no attention from she who must be obeyed.

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 12:58:19 PM PDT

•  Ha! Now I have to do a diary on, you guessed it, (6+ / 0-)

spontaneous human combustion.

Family history research is always interesting, one way or another.

When I was winding my way through the newspaper microfilm of 1887 or so, looking for more dirt about my g-gAunt Ella who was caught in the act of committing adultery, I ran across one of the early versions of the spontaneous human combustion nonsense. I just had to push the print button. It had the head librarian laughing out loud.

It was all made up nonsense about the evils of drink.

Absinthe and cocaine remedies were advertised on the same page. And my g-gAunt's lover was a quack who sold a cancer cure. The story got sad and tragic quickly. I hesitated writing about it.

Combustion, combustions...It's around here somewhere.... shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.

Our old queen and most muckety of mucketymucks who must be obeyed , Rikki, is almost 19 now. She has significant hearing loss. She can be a little jumpy. She gets attention by sinking her claws into an arm or standing on your chest, nose-to-nose. She's always done that.

You should have that spontaneous combustion issue looked at. Cats know these things. I think they have an ointment for that.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 02:08:33 PM PDT

•  "Oh you must", she pleaded! (5+ / 0-)

You have gone too far not to oblige the curiosity of the feline component of this household. Please do the combustion diary!

She, the strumpet, who harbors within these walls, is known for her kneading during the dubious dark hours of the westerly night.

It is to be understood thus:"Follow me and all will be revealed".
            Often it is a summons to animate the green feathery object known as "Mr. Green" - he who must be swatted, bitten and kissed. (I told you she's a strumpet.)

If it does not concern "Mr. Green", it is to inform me that the chef got her order wrong. Again.

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 02:50:14 PM PDT

•  Very interesting (8+ / 0-)

Claiming two different sets of parents. You're sure it's the same person?

One of these days I'm planning to tell the story of the ancestors who, according to the people who wrote the Victorian-era family genealogies, didn't exist. As in their parents married someone else, or died before they had children.

Republicans...think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:08:16 PM PDT

•  Same person (9+ / 0-)

Everything was fine until I noticed my GGrandmother's birth date was considerably earlier than that of her parents' marriage.

Turned out she was the daughter of the 1st husband who had died when she was 6 or 7  which makes me from the Melcher/Goodwin line- not Hyde.

Can't understand why this has been such a deep secret in the family though.

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:24:50 PM PDT

•  Now I remember (7+ / 0-)

the Hyde connection. You did a diary on this, or a comment on one of my earlier posts?

Gosh, people used to freak out about that stuff. My grandmother used to tell me that their landladies before they bought a house, two older Irish sisters who never married, hated her because she wasn't Irish like my grandfather.

She lived there three years without him during the war. The biddies wrote my grandfather whenever her brothers (in the Navy) came to visit that his wife was stepping out with "all classes of Navy men."

They damn near kicked them out when they learned my Irish grandfather was...divorced!!

by fenway49 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:37:23 PM PDT

•  I did do a Hyde diary- (8+ / 0-)

about their own child. She ended up in the asylum in Worchester. Her parents were already dead and her "sister", the Melcher child, moved from Boston to Los Angeles around that time. I couldn't help but think her heartless - and from all I've heard, she pretty much was. Her adoptive father, however, was devoted to and deeply loved by her five grandchildren.

I am entertaining the idea that Margaret Hyde, once Melcher,
            was Irish born and may have even come over on her own - maybe to Canada. Both family names that she gave, Hurley and Rannells, are Irish. I even talked to the city clerk in Eastport, Me. who had no records of either family.

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:53:25 PM PDT

•  You're lucky. My space alien MiL lives in Holden (5+ / 0-)

If she still lived in Worcester, she might have been tempted to send out alien mind control rays just because she can.

She eventually turned into a spelling cop because she was the lady who did the birth certificates at one of the Worcester hospitals for many years. She tells some great stories about dealing with the parents, the strange names, and other memorable events.

She remembers stories about the asylum days. They were what they were, sadly. My tree includes people who ended up there, too.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 02:38:34 PM PDT

•  The Irish are (6+ / 0-)

a quaire bunch. God bless us!

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 02:13:24 PM PDT

•  I personally like the ones on Ancestry.com (8+ / 0-)

who have children before they themselves are born. Quite the trick and I'd sure like to know how they did it.

Inspiration is hard to come by. You have to take it where you find it. --- Bob Dylan.

by figbash on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:26:48 PM PDT

•  I tried it. (8+ / 0-)

It was very inconvenient. No saddle block.

by brook on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:34:05 PM PDT

•  I've seen those (8+ / 0-)

Early in my ancestry.com days I found one that had my great-great-grandfather's grandfather as his father.

The reason was the 1900 census had an incorrect birth year for my 2x-ggf, one that made him born two years after his father died. This person assumed the father couldn't be the father, and listed the grandfather (who had the same name) as the father instead.

The grandfather was (1) over 80 years old; (2) still married to his only wife; (3) lived in another country. For some reason listing him as the father made more sense to this person than assuming the 1900 census birthdate was a little off.

I was new to this, tried to be helpful, and got the email equivalent of a tongue-lashing.

by fenway49 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 01:43:54 PM PDT

•  Oh, yeah. (7+ / 0-)

The 110 year old mothers. Space aliens for sure.

by figbash on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 02:02:11 PM PDT

•  Some folks just have to get pissed off (7+ / 0-)

and insult your mother rather than admitting they were wrong.

I think they're all Republicans. I could be wrong.

One of my first cousins lived in Wyoming and I'm absolutely sure she was a big Dick™ Cheeeeeney fan.

I wrote to her about finding a couple of first cousin marriages in the family and listed two more wives for our 2nd-ggrandfather. She just went ballistic. It was simply impossible that HER ancestors EVER married a first cousin. She insisted that our 2nd g-grandfather had one wife. She got downright nasty about this. She had THE records. SHE knew the truth. Her brother couldn't get through to her, either.

I never expected that kind of nastiness from anyone, especially a close family member. I've gotten some horrible reactions from strangers since then. It's sad.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 03:05:18 PM PDT

•  I "like" those trees that end up in a loop. (5+ / 0-)
            fenway49, GrumpyOldGeek, brook, Jim H, figbash

You get individual 'A'.  You click on the father, individual 'B'.  Now you're at individual 'B', and you click on the father, individual 'C'.  You click on 'C's father, and somehow you're back at individual 'A'.

And you go in circles: A to B to C to A to B to C to A and into infinity.

I've run across that a couple of times.

•  So individual A (5+ / 0-)
              GrumpyOldGeek, edwardssl, brook, Jim H, figbash

and the great-grandfather are one and the same?

I had one person who, not being sure where, entered "New England" for the birthplace of many an ancestor. Unfortunately ancestry.com offered a choice which this person took every single time: "New England, Hettinger, North Dakota, USA." Somehow I'm confident that's not the "New England" where these colonists were born in 1673.

by fenway49 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 06:34:27 PM PDT

•  I also scratch my head over (4+ / 0-)
                brook, Jim H, GrumpyOldGeek, figbash

the ones who have their ancestors born in New England before the Mayflower arrived.

I supposed that would be legitimate if their ancestor was Native American, but otherwise ... um ... no.

•  Early settler vital records didn't include places (4+ / 0-)
                  brook, Jim H, edwardssl, figbash

in most town records.

So the town records of Sudbury Mass lists your ancestor's birth date as 1592 and the newbie fills in the two fields he sees with 1592 and Sudbury. Next...

Maybe some people realize this is inconsistent but don't know enough about their genealogy software to deal with this properly. Maybe not.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 02:03:24 AM PDT