Skip to main content

View Diary: How many democracies are we? (16 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Not at all... (0+ / 0-)

    In the beginning, only people with property (land) could vote. That is a fact. Woman could not vote. That is a fact. Only white males could vote. Also a fact.

    Of the total population, in the beginning, many were people of color (Indians, Blacks). Let's estimate low with a number of 15% leaving 85% white in the colonies.

    Next, remove 50% of the population that are woman. We're now at 42.5% (half of 85%) which could vote.

    Then remove males without property. Many immigrants came to this country without money, and thus not many had land. Many were indentured servants. If one out of two were without property (a low estimate, given that even today only 65% of Americans own their own homes), that would leave 21% who could vote.

    The number was likely lower than that. I'm estimating these sub-populations, and I've likely underestimated the Indian and Black populations, and over estimating the number of white males with property.

    "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

    by ZhenRen on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 10:27:40 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site