View Diary: AFL-CIO won't back a deficit deal that cuts Social Security through chained CPI (65 comments)

•  Anyone pushing the 11-dimensional chess theory? (23+ / 1-)

I've had a bellyful of it.  Obama WANTS to cut SSI.

The evidence is clear.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
    I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
    —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 10:43:04 AM PDT

•  No, you assume intent from an offer of compromise. (2+ / 0-)
      cocinero, Stude Dude

Why must Obama be demonized?  I support the AFL-CIO on this, but there is not going to be a Grand Bargain.

It gets so simplistic here soemtimes.  Evil motives!  Maybe he thinks it's the least bad alternative in a compromsie offer, and maybe you and I disagree about it.

The AFL-CIO is taking the right position, but there not casting all sorts of aspercions on Obama.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 11:09:57 AM PDT

•  That is, maybe you and I disagree with Obama (1+ / 0-)
        cocinero

about an offer in a deal that will never happen.  It does not make Obama evil.

by TomP on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 11:10:53 AM PDT

•  Keeps getting put on the table. (13+ / 0-)

Unless you're arguing that this is Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football.

And I don't like the idea of Social Security as the football.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
          I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
          —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 11:41:25 AM PDT

•  We should demonize the President (2+ / 0-)
          Dallasdoc, penguins4peace

because if HE gets HIS way, HE will hurt people. What does it gain those at risk to treat his proposal, and thus him, with anything other than vociferous rejection?

Will he be moved by our unconditional respect?

We should make it clear that he will lose our support if he seeks to use it for harm.

"I am confident that we're going to be able to leave the Gulf Coast in better shape than it was before." Barack Obama

by quagmiremonkey on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:54:56 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry TomP (6+ / 0-)

I normally agree with you, but Obama has cut heating assistance, as well as other important safety nets and now he is trying to cut the three main safety nets, while he has been handing out trillions to Wall Street.  he listens to no one but Wall Street.  And it appears all his advice comes from Wall Street.  It was Lloyd Blankfein that made a public statement about cutting Social Security.

Obama is suppose to also listen to the people, not just Wall Street.  There are grey areas between good and evil and some of those grey areas really boarder on the bad side.  No President Republican or Democrat has ever offered up Social Security and Medicare as a barginning chip.  So, trying to see Obama in a good light is getting very difficult for me.  He is better than Republicans, but he is no Bernie Sanders.

I'm sorry, but I learned long ago not to apologize to someone who is intentionally hurting me and others.  It boarders on the line of Dick Cheney's friend apologizing to Cheney for shooting him in the face.  I know the Republicans have been horrible to the President, but there are many like Bernie Sanders that would have the President's back in a fight against cuts, if that is what the President wanted.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 08:10:56 PM PDT

•  It's his plan, he owns it (25+ / 0-)

He doesn't get a free pass on this.  He has said time after time after time and he has produced plans in writing bragging about his zeal for "entitlement reform".

He wants to cut Social Security and Medicare.  Aren't you listening to him?

Never does he ever say that he wants to find an alternative that does not include cuts to Social Security and Medicare.   In fact he calls them "smart" cuts.  He is doing it this very minute live on MSNBC.  Smart he says.

Its is smart to cut Social Security he says.  That is an insult to seniors who need these benefits.

•  Whitehouse.org - see their own PDF (2+ / 0-)
        penguins4peace, darrow

listing

"Spending Savings from Superlative CPI with protections for the vulnerable - $130 billion"

The Republicans didn't put that on the White House website.

Not to mention $1.4 trillion dollars in cuts to "discretionary spending" much of which was support to the poor, like heating assistance, etc, which has already been enacted and signed into law.

He appointed the deficit (catfood) commission. He put Simpson & Bowles into place as the co-chairs, fully knowing their reputation and positions. He has agreed with this from the get-go.

Why would he bring up -- indeed, going back to the commission (Simpson has always hated Social Security) originate -- this concept if he didn't agree with it?

There is just no way around it. He even said during the 2012 debates that his position with Social Security and Medicare was similar to Romney/Ryan.

by YucatanMan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 11:57:03 PM PDT

•  who decides... (1+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan

Who decides what makes some retirees, but not others, "vulnerable" in this "protections for the vulnerable" proposal?

When the cost of just one surgery/hospital stay can decimate the assets of a "solid middle class" family -- especially now that retirement often does not include either ongoing group-medical care options or defined benefit pensions for private sector retirees, as it did several decades ago -- I'd argue that all but the 1% retirees are vulnerable.

•  Good to know at least the AFL-CIO is on our side.. (8+ / 0-)

...even if Democrat policy makers aren't.

Adequate health care should be a LEGAL RIGHT in the U.S without begging or bankruptcy. Until it is, we should not dare call our society civilized.

by Love Me Slender on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:05:58 PM PDT

•  I agree. Today I went to a CARA forum on (1+ / 0-)
      penguins4peace

protecting Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. One of the speakers was a professor from NY with ties to Strengthen Social Security. I asked him why prominent Dems, including the president, are not only not protecting Social Security and Medicare, but are calling for their degradation. He said, "These are not your father's Democrats." He also said that Social Security and Medicare don't have the same meaning to Obama that they have to older Americans. Obama doesn't care that much about those successful programs. He said Obama is more like an old style Republican like Nixon.
      I think it's true. I hope we will all march on Washington. One of the organizers suggested a one million senior march on Washington. "We'll bring our walkers, our canes and our wheelchairs and sit down in front of the WH."
      People should be calling their senators, reps and the president every day. We should ask our relatives and friends to do the same. We should tell them we want no cuts to SS, Medi/Medi; They should scrap the cap on taxable Social Security earnings (HR 649/Deutch/S308 Begich. They should negotiate for Medicare drug prices (S117/Klobuchar). They should institute a tax on financial transactions (HR6411/Ellison-The Robin Hood Tax). They should cut the military budget and repeal the sequester. Join the Alliance for Retired American.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam> "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." Edna St.V. Millay

by slouching on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25:03 AM PDT