View Diary: So You're Shocked Some Young, Southern White Dude Defended Slavery at CPAC? (249 comments)

•  As I have extended family (37+ / 0-)

not even in the deep south but in the Baltimore area and know that many of them are raving racists -- I am never shocked by what Republicans think or say -- no matter their age.

What does shock me is how incredibly stupid they are about the concept of YouTube.  I always have a sick feeling when I hear my voice played back -- e.g. conducting a deposition or presenting an appeal.  I'm not saying stupid things but I still feel sort of off.

I do wonder what truly ignorant racists think when they see themselves on a viral video.  I know they still believe their shite but do they hear how utterly out of tune they sound?

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 09:05:17 PM PDT

•  I could be speaking uncontrovertible truth (22+ / 0-)

And I would still feel awkward hearing myself on Youtube.

I tend to think the exceptional lack of self-awareness that leads someone to have these opinions would also lead one to total unawareness about how they come off speaking the opinions.

"I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil." ~Bobby Kennedy

by Grizzard on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 09:07:39 PM PDT

•  I think you are correct (7+ / 0-)

and, oddly enough, while I understand racists since I know so many -- I can't comprehend the lack of awareness on video or audio.  Deeply disturbing ignorance.

by gchaucer2 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 09:10:01 PM PDT

•  I have started to do something as I get older (3+ / 0-)
          side pocket, Shotput8, Outraged Mom

and like I have often said, since my parents..if I even hear a whiff of racism, that person is out of my life.

I got lucky as my parents advocated for civil rights but not so with some of their relatives and even some friends of theirs. We found out their friends were people they tried to help, enlighten and reach out to.. I found that out after they died.

So I started saying Life is too short to tolerate haters in my life and in my circle and in my world. I understand those who cannot or do not want to do that but I had to.  I am stronger emotionally and physically and it is better for my health.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 09:58:35 AM PDT

•  I think that they watch those videos of themselves (1+ / 0-)
        RockyMtnLib

with their own friends and families and therefore have their attitudes reinforced.

"Only a Vulcan mind meld will help with this congress." Leonard Nimoy, 3/1/13

by nzanne on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 09:57:42 AM PDT

•  This is so significant; self-awareness goes hand (1+ / 0-)
        RockyMtnLib

in hand with a more embracing, big-picture outlook that is almost always progressive.  It is possible to hold progressive views & not be all that self-aware, but it's very hard to become highly self-aware & remain conservative.

Sometimes I can't believe it; I'm movin' past the feelin'...

by Leftcandid on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 11:04:31 AM PDT

•  After my parents died, my sister and I have (4+ / 0-)

started to avoid and basically end our relationships with family members who are bigots, racist, mean spirited.
      It got easier as we found once my mom died, most of her family began to ignore us anyway. It was like they loved their aunt and uncle, sister and brother but forgot their deceased ones had children. There has always been some jealousy because we have college degrees and some fear of us because we are outspoken.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 09:56:00 AM PDT

•  That's exactly how it is (0+ / 0-)

with most of my extended family.  My dad was an only child & his father died only six months before he did, so it was harder to keep in touch with mostly much-older relatives.  My mom died twelve years ago and other than my youngest aunt & her husband, who moved to my city a few years after Mom died, I have very little contact with most of the family... all but one of my first cousins friended me on Facebook, and I send birthday cards & Christmas presents to my grandmother, but that's it.  Haven't heard a word from most aunts & uncles since right after Mom's death, and the one uncle I did speak to occasionally defriended all of us the day after the election (that was more ridiculous than upsetting).

Over the years I've wanted to needle most of them by pointing out that I know plenty of whites who really would be better off as sharecroppers than clinging to their federally-funded jobs, but I guess it's just as well I don't have the chance ;)

"Conservative principles" are marketing props used by the Conservative Movement to achieve political power, not actual beliefs. -Glenn Greenwald

by latts on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 02:56:46 PM PDT