View Diary: So You're Shocked Some Young, Southern White Dude Defended Slavery at CPAC? (249 comments)

•  I'm in CA too (25+ / 0-)

Grew up in the Bay Area. Lived there all my life, in one Bay Area City or another. Scant experience with racism--in the circles I traveled in, anyway. A 5th grade classmate's father had a favorite slur for African Americans that he'd whip out, for some reason, whenever he was at the helm of the family the car--much to the amusement of his kids and wife--but really, that was about it. (My mom was livid to learn that "such language" was used in my presence, and she let the family know precisely why I wouldn't be visiting again in the future. They were Mormon, though, so the only truly "bad word" in their view was "God" spoken in a context other than prayer.)

Years later, in 2004, for various reasons I had to move 100 miles up north. And from everything I have seen & heard in the last 7 years living in a small suburban town just north of Sacramento, I might as well be living in Alabama. The racism here seems to be as automatic and unapologetic as anything I've heard described existing in the deep south. I'm not sure why that's so.

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 01:49:05 AM PDT

•  Why it is so (17+ / 0-)

Talk radio/Fox News

Not saying that racism wasn't present before, but hate radio and Fox mad it acceptable to be more overt.

"If you tell the truth, you'll eventually be found out." Mark Twain

by Steven D on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 06:34:33 AM PDT

•  Yes I do think hate radio has taken this country (11+ / 0-)

backwards to an extent where I think once again , racism is more overt and sadly accepted in many circles. We did not see that 30 yrs to this extent. We are in fact going backwards when people are debating the merits of slavery for crying out loud. That is so 18th and 19th century. For heaven sake, John and Abigail Adams used to debate friends about slavery and people in DC and so on.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 09:47:51 AM PDT

•  I agree: it's more open now, even in the South (13+ / 0-)

Back in the 1970s, in Alabama, the messages against racism were starting to take root--even in my older relatives. My mother and her sisters and my older brother were more liberal, if fearful of being so openly, but my dad and uncles were your average Southern racists of their generation.

In the 70s, when I was in college. Even my father and uncles tried to temper their racism. My brother, for example, chastized my father for using the "n" word around my nephew. Dad said, "well, that's what I've always called 'em." And somewhat embarrassed added (disingenuously): "I don't mean nothin' by it."

But the Republicans worked hard to capture the votes of chagrined white racists, beginning with Nixon's Southern Strategy and culminating in the crowning of Ronald Reagan, whose welfare queen bashing made it OK--even American--to be openly and hatefully racist again--at least to racists of my father's generation. Sadly, the conservative/talk radio propaganda dogwhistles have made younger white Southerners, those born in the 70s and later, more susceptible to the disease.

Not all of course--and that's important to acknowledge. There are progressive white Southerners; I'm thankfully kin to some. But there are also atavistic racist idiots. They have not died out, especially not in rural areas.

"This is a center-left country. Democrats can act that way and win. In fact, they must." -- Markos

by cassandraX on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 10:16:21 AM PDT

•  Good for your mother (3+ / 0-)

for teaching you well and for speaking up against racist language.

If I could delete the comment I made last night, I would for its sanctimony. My experience with, and awareness of racism is more complex than that comment conveyed.

As with your move, we don't always have freedom of choice in where we live, and obviously have no choice in where we're born. I was born in western Canada and lived there the first 18 years of my life, largely oblivious to racism and bigotry until high school years in the late 1950s, when this white girl learned about the American civil rights movement and the previously unspoken bigotry of my own family was revealed. That was an awakening. Later, I married a person of color and my offspring are poc. The family was worse than apoplectic.

We cannot mistake absolutism for principle, or substitute spectacle for politics, or treat name-calling as reasoned debate. -Pres. Obama, 1/21/13

by SoCalSal on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 09:10:18 AM PDT

•  somewhat off topic (1+ / 0-)
        SoCalSal

I find myself idly wondering if there are many Mormons in Canada. When you lived there, did you encounter many? It seems unlikely to me, but who knows. If so, are they significantly different from US Mormons?

In any event, thanks for your thoughtful reply, SoCalSal. :)

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 11:53:10 AM PDT

•  Yes, (1+ / 0-)
          aitchdee

Mormons live in Canada too, and I did know some (not very many) when I lived there. They are affiliated with the central LDS church/ headquarters in Salt Lake City and practice their faith accordingly.

Some Mormons settled in Canada for the same reason the Romneys settled in Mexico: to escape US anti-polygamy laws. Canada has considerably fewer Mormons per capita than does the US, but they're there.

by SoCalSal on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 02:24:54 PM PDT

•  thank you! (1+ / 0-)
            SoCalSal

I had no idea... Canada seems so very levelheaded, I'd never have guessed. ;) Thought Mormons and the like would avoid it like the plague.

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 08:25:13 PM PDT