View Diary: Scott Terry and Matthew Heimbach, White Nationalists at CPAC (46 comments)

•  Is there a transcript anywhere? (3+ / 0-)
    elwior, viral, Eyesbright

Because once he begins responding to the moderator's point about Frederick Douglass forgiving his master, I couldn't understand a word he was saying (though he evidently managed to shock the audience).

by sidnora on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 01:50:12 PM PDT

•  Not very easy to follow, apparently (2+ / 0-)
      sidnora, LilithGardener

Partial transcript from Benjy Sarlin, TPM:

But then questions and answers began. And things went off the rails.

Scott Terry of North Carolina, accompanied by a Confederate-flag-clad attendee, Matthew Heimbach, rose to say he took offense to the event’s take on slavery. (Heimbach founded the White Students Union at Towson University and is described as a “white nationalist” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.)

“It seems to be that you’re reaching out to voters at the expense of young white Southern males,” Terry said, adding he “came to love my people and culture” who were “being systematically disenfranchised.”

Smith responded that Douglass forgave his slavemaster.

“For giving him shelter? And food?” Terry said.

At this point the event devolved into a mess of shouting. Organizers calmed things down by asking everyone to “take the debate outside after the presentation.”

Brown, who took offense at the suggestion modern Democrats were descendants of the KKK, tried to ask a question later once things finally calmed down. She was booed and screamed at by audience members.

“Let someone else speak!” one attendee in Revolutionary War garb shouted.

“You’re not welcome!” a white-haired older woman yelled.

"Who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?" - George H.W. Bush

by rsmpdx on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 04:22:26 PM PDT

•  Here's a draft transcript by yours truly (1+ / 0-)
      sidnora

I don't know the name of the session speaker.

Here's what I could make out from the video.

Scott Terry: [Standing] It seems to me like , you're reaching out to voters who might [unintelligible] the program that you are offering us, at the expense of young white Southern males like myself, my demographic. [unintelligible] I studied literature, English literature and stuff, and as I read about the past I really came to lov,,e my people, my culture, okay [audience murmur).  So,  my question would be, um, I feel like my people, my demographic, are being systematically disenfranchised. Furthermore, you know, people like the lady over here in the redshirt applied and saying "Yeah, that's good!"  My problem is "Why can't we be more like Booker T. Washington Republicans and [?make] this statement, "let's be unified like they hand and separate like the fingers. [Scott Terry raises and waves his right hand with extended fingers].

Session speaker responds:  Okay, the question is "Why can't we be more unified like Booker T. Washington Republicans vs. Frederick Douglas?  They called Booker T Washington the second [?]  compared to Douglas. Frederick Douglas was the originator, okay? So when you study Douglas, Douglas was not [interruption by Scott Terry]

Scott Terry:  [interrupting the Session speaker] I thought that unity and diversity [unintelligible].

Session speaker responds: What about it? Douglas talked about that.

Scott Terry:  Why can't [unintelligible], [Session speaker interrupts Terry]

Session speaker:  Give me an example. Here's an example.  When Douglass escaped from slavery,  I think 10 years, 20 years, after he escaped from slavery, he writes a letter to his former master slave,  and says, " I forgive you. For all the things you did to me." [interruption by Scott Terry]

Scott Terry: [indignant tone] Forgive him for giving him shelter and food and other things?

Session speaker [unintelligible]

Audience reacts: (young woman in front is aghast, in the right foreground the Teaparty costumed person holding a flag claps]

Session speaker: [unintelligible] (attempts to regain control, as the room chatters)

Scott Terry: I want people to throw stuff [looks around the room to gauge audience approval/outrage]

[Decorum totally breaks down.]

Scott Terry sits down.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 05:59:30 PM PDT

•  applied = applaud nt (1+ / 0-)
        sidnora

by LilithGardener on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 06:00:41 PM PDT

•  master slave should be [slave master] (1+ / 0-)
        sidnora

by LilithGardener on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 06:13:25 PM PDT

•  Thanks so much (1+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener

I became unable to follow it at the point when the young woman in the front row turns around, and there are audible gasps coming from all over the room. I guess you had trouble from that point on, too.

by sidnora on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:32:21 AM PDT