View Diary: DKos Series: Carlsbad Caverns National Park (106 comments)

•  I want to go. (2+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest, raincrow

But yuck, I have to travel thru AZ to get there.

Republicans - they measure our national success by corporate profit margin, not the well being of the citizens.

by egarratt on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 10:05:48 AM PDT

•  Although I appreciate your political concerns (2+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, FindingMyVoice

Arizona is its own kind of special, and should not be ceded to crazies. There is a great deal of our heritage to see and appreciate there. :-)

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 10:34:17 AM PDT

•  nope, not ceded. . . (3+ / 0-)

and I agree. I have lived there for many years. I think I have also hiked just about every bit of real estate, including Navajo owned, there is to hike. I try, however, to avoid the cities whenever possible. I think there is where the activity of the strange rangers roost and sometimes 'strange' is okay, too. Certainly eccentric is okay, too (i.e., say, around Weaver, or Congress, or Yarnell. . .)

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:11:45 AM PDT

•  I don't think I'll ever forget the day we wandered (1+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest

into Colorado City, though... :-o

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 12:39:35 PM PDT

•  do I detect some humor here??? (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

I dare not say. Folks get mighty touchy about their home or adopted towns. HA!

by richholtzin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 12:55:04 PM PDT

•  I have never felt so unwelcome in a place (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, BlackSheep1

in my life. Only afterwards did I find out why that place didn't want you on 'their' road, and didn't want you to stop, not even for gas. :-o

I haven't been through there since Warren Jeffs was finally arrested and the FLDS had to yield to American law.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 02:15:44 PM PDT

•  Warren Jeffs. . . (1+ / 0-)
                RiveroftheWest

did you have to bring up that subject? ha! Yeah, I've been there a time or two before. One of Yavapai College's Elderhostel Instructors (or else it was Flagstaff's NAU), where I also taught, was from there and did a rather job of entertaining the groups. She was friendly and people liked her. But the others were sort of a throwback, I thought, to the Mountain Meadow Massacre days. Or something.

by richholtzin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 04:29:32 PM PDT

•  it depends where you go. . . (2+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, FindingMyVoice

and find the slow roads around the bigger metropolis' like Phoenix, say, headed east toward Wickenburg, then take any which direction to get where you want to go. Or try the magnificent Salt River Canyon, say, from the base of the Mogollon Rim, headed toward Show Low and you will be in glorious country (and the people are friendly). Arizona is a good state with ample beauty and good people. The trick is not letting the dunderheads living there ruin it for the rest of us. I might even add, without sounding too preachy, how I find meeting rude people is refreshing in one way, at least: Because I'm not like them. Just leave 'em with a smile and leave 'em guessing. That's my motto.

by richholtzin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:14:41 AM PDT